One of the key things evident from Death Stranding’s E3 2016 reveal trailer is “the idea of life and death being...

>One of the key things evident from Death Stranding’s E3 2016 reveal trailer is “the idea of life and death being connected to each other,” according to Kojima.
>“Animals are connected with each other, people are connected to each other, so many things are connected,” Kojima tells IGN.
>But it’s a short story (Irrelevant Death) by Kobo Abe that Kojima points to as a way to explain one of Death Stranding’s strongest themes.

>“In this short story, Abe states that the first tool mankind created is a stick,” Kojima tells IGN. “He states that the stick is the first tool that mankind created to put distance between himself and bad things — to protect himself. He states that the second tool mankind created is a rope. A rope is a tool used to secure things that are important to you.”
>Kojima points to the umbilical cord in the trailer, and the rope-like “umbilical cords” hanging from the actual title of the game.

>“Most of your tools in action games are sticks,” Kojima continues. “You punch or you shoot or you kick. The communication is always through these ‘sticks.’ In [Death Stranding], I want people to be connected not through sticks, but through what would be the equivalent of ropes… But of course you will be able to use the sticks too.”
>How this idea manifests in-game remains to be seen, but Kojima says there are other “small things and small messages” hidden in the Death Stranding trailer.

Anyone read this short story?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i2nuHEGhwiw
tweaktown.com/news/52662/death-stranding-transcend-established-genres-kojima/index.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kōbō_Abe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ew, gross

"To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm ofyour hand
And eternity in an hour
-William Blake"

From the trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=i2nuHEGhwiw

Sounds p Jungian desu senpai

oo we're going to get so many /v/irgins shitting up the board demanding to be recognized as an art.

it seems like /v/ largely hates this shit

Im not much of a gamer (a couple a year can be nice) but I'm actually excited abt this. I've never played a Kojima game but he seems like a fun guy, I'm curious to see what he does with this world he's set up

I love Kojima cause he's got big fucking ideas and knows how to actually make things fun, but sadly I have to say that his actual writing is bad anime tier.

looks pretty damn cool

it is art

Is Woman in the Dunes worthy of Kawabata or Mishima?

haha fagger

Silent Hill 2 is art. Katamari Damacy is art. Other video games are not art.

are all the good games on console these days?

PC master race will overcome

Don't think so, I'm having quite a lot of fun with Mount and Blade and arty shit.
I'll never understand why westerners are so obsessed with consoles. What do they offer in terms of gameplay that a normal PC doesn't?

OP said these days. A game from a decade ago isn't "these days"

>video games

Fuck off.

Consoles can't play 4x and I play basically only 4x.

>>But it’s a short story (Irrelevant Death) by Kobo Abe that Kojima points to as a way to explain one of Death Stranding’s strongest themes.
>>“In this short story, Abe states that the first tool mankind created is a stick,” Kojima tells IGN. “He states that the stick is the first tool that mankind created to put distance between himself and bad things — to protect himself. He states that the second tool mankind created is a rope. A rope is a tool used to secure things that are important to you.

it's actually interesting as an example how well all those game people know literature. to begin with, i have read that "irrelevant death" short story and it has nothing about sticks and ropes whatsoever

here is another article about this game tweaktown.com/news/52662/death-stranding-transcend-established-genres-kojima/index.html
and it mentions some "short novel" named "rope"

>There's a Japanese author I am a huge fan of called Kobo Abe. He has a short novel called 'Rope' in which he makes a definition, a statement: the first tool mankind made was a stick. It was made to keep away bad things. It's a weapon. The next tool created by mankind was rope. The rope is not to keep away bad things.

now, according to kobo abe's bibliography here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kōbō_Abe he doesn't have any novel or short story named "rope"
he has though two pieces related to sticks, a short story "the stick" and a short play "the man who turned into a stick"

i have read the play, it has something similar about the importance of sticks but doesn't mention ropes, the play was written after the story and largely has the same plot (a devil teacher and devil student(s) are going to punish a man who turned into a stick after his death when he fell from the roof) apparently have the same stick-related reasonings and possibly has something about ropes too...too bad i couldn't find that short story fully in any language which i know and so, here is the best what i found and by the law of murphy it hides exactly that page where the rope is likely mentioned books.google.com/books?id=YPVkCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq=&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

grr

p.s. i personally think that if rope was invented the next after stick it was to tie a stone to the stick so it could hurt more painful

stop projecting. Everyone already knows that Video Games are art. :^)

Veeky Forums - Video Games

>westeners obsessed with consoles

tell that to the nips