It wasn't scary

It wasn't scary.

I agree. It was good though.

Our generation's view of what is and isn't scary has changed tremendously over the last 50 years. Now imagine how scary it might have been to the people in Shelley's time.

>Our generation
>the last 50 years

????????

fatherhood is scary OP

Only if your a retard like victor

You're not a person with an internalized romantic spirit that tears at you every day because you know that you're not doing what you're supposed to be with your life. That's the most scary thing of all, ennit?

If seen gifs of people literally shitting on babies, just a few boards to the left here.
Of course it's not scare to a 23yo or whatever user.

How can you read a book sober an find it scary at this day and age? Sadly, I couldn't. I would instantaneously go meta and think to myself "wow, the author really manages to capture a certain type of flare in those paragraphs"

Some of ryu murakami's books are pretty scary

When it comes to horror, I don't even like the "scary" stuff. I guess it's more accurate to say that I like gothic things more than horror.

Frankenstein is a great book, but it also happens to be a science fiction novel, and I probably like the science fiction aspect of it more than the horror.

In film, I like Dr. Caligari more for its surrealism than being scared by it. Also, Roger Ebert praised Nosferatu for being a great movie, while also saying that it wasn't particularly scary, and I agree with him. And then I like shit like Rocky Horror and Tim Burton/Henry Selick movies that are not in the least bit scary.

>people literally shitting on babies

Gross =/= scary. Which is why I hate most horror films, instead of being scary they're just a competition of which director can be the biggest edgelord. It's also impossible to be scared by something if you're laughing at how stupid and ridiculous it is.

>man travels almost a hundred thousand years into the future
>his only interest is the employment situation of manlets and cavemen

The fact that Uzumaki gets banned here makes me upset, because it is literally the only literary experience in the last 10 years that has made me frightened.

it's not supposed to be scary

how did hollywood manage to fuck this up so bad?

I dont think a book could lose momentum faster than this one. The beginning was so good, I dont know how he made the following 50 pages blow so hard

Yea shit stops getting interesting when he eats with the Eloni. The time traveler should of went back to the machine the exact same day and went to explore other times.
Also how the fuck does a museum last for 800,000 years? The T.T was lying through his teeth

I'm not the one you're quoting but they are correct. Even watch horror movies from the 60s. Although they're still really, really good, they aren't horrific, but were perceived as such at the time. Night of the Living Dead, Psycho, Eyes without a Face, etc.

When did Uzumaki start getting banned here? Agreed, genuinely one of the most uncomfortable things I've read.

At least , it is good. Dracula is so boring

IF I SEE THAT COVER ONE MORE FUCKING TIME

>his only interest is the employment situation of manlets and cavemen

Not to defend what's essentially YA, and not one of Well's strongest efforts, but of course he's going to be interested what happened to humanity hundreds of thousands of years after the fact of Victorian society.

dracula is awesome

just the castle part. After that is pure boredom

naw senpai

I'm up to the point where they're planning to attack dracula and it's a good read so far

Dracula is more or less to do with 19th century fear of masculine and feminine freedom in sexuality.

>defining painting for romanticism
>used as a cover for fucking frankenstein

not really about freedom of sexuality at all. It's mentioned barely when whatshisface is in the castle

just don't get me wrong.
It isn't bad, just boring.

it is good for that book

that is some stupid guy said once and everybody accept it just because "oh yeah! sex! of course, everybody has sexual repression in victorian england"

its not boring though

and I defy the idea that a book can be boring and good at the same time

Death of the author my friend :v)

It's not scary because BOOGABOOGA MONSTER, it's scary because the implication that man has the capability to play god means there was never a god to begin with.

Little Red Riding Hood is about sex, not Dracula.

I saw studies that say dracula is about homo sex too

Don't reply to anyone with a trip. Dracula's about fear of foreigners anyway. i.e. Wow the turks are making us really uncomfortable going into the 1900s.

a lot of horror from late 19th to early 20th is based in the fact that everyone had no idea what non-civilized people were up to, and it might be demonic/unholy/otherworldly

I know, but I like the idea to discuss about books even if the guy is an idiot

Rude

I don't believe nobody here sees the sexual themes of Dracula. It's completely about sex, or at least one of the themes is sex, of course. It isn't outright yelled at you, because this was written in the 9th century. There is inherent erotic in the concept of vampirism.

but there isn't. You're projecting that notion because Dracula steals women, and you view them as sex objects.

He steals women because they're weak, not because he's building a harem. The sexual notion was applied later by other people

Dracula is someone interested in the erotic, you aren't reading the novel for any kind of subtext.

Did the noble and misinformed peasants of the 800s even know about sex? I think we, with our sex educated ways, are projecting.

>Dracula is more or less to do with 19th century fear of masculine and feminine freedom in sexuality.

you said that, I can't see it. That is something that you can see more in the movie.

If you want sex in the book then is about some sexual problem, like erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation. The vampires in the castle laughed of him because he can't love, and the girls that the guy is sucking their blood are stressed and almost crazy but they guy is more young and vital.

This interpretation is farfetched (is that the word?) as "sexual freedom of the women!!!!"

because it isnt there. That's what projecting means

Did you forget his literal harem of vampire chicks back at the castle?

What kind of implication does that have? Because Dracula has a bunch of women the novel suddenly becomes about sex?

Maybe it's about the aftereffects of rejecting monarchical rule in Europe because he lives in a castle.

or

The effects of disease and plague because vampirism is infectious. Taking literal pieces in novels and transferring them into themes is a disgusting byproduct of learning how to close read through a liberal arts course in university.

not that guy.

The harem humilliate him, and he ate a baby making him a pedo. I don't think that the idea of all that is about sexuallity, or at least about show how good sexuallity is. It is more than making him a raper from uncivilizated countries that go to England to destroy it

(my english sucks today, sorry)

>Taking literal pieces in novels and transferring them into themes is a disgusting byproduct of learning how to close read through a liberal arts course in university.

It's amazing how Veeky Forums can be at one time so pretentious and elitist, and at the same time so anti-intellectual.

Your gonna hurt your arms with all that reaching