Is useless to ask /a/ for things like this (there is no hope for those lost souls)...

Is useless to ask /a/ for things like this (there is no hope for those lost souls), but I would like to try it here on Veeky Forums, if you guys let me.

I would like to have some indications of manga/anime who possess great quality, works that possess dialogues or internal monologues or thoughts or philosophical debates that are comparable to significant works of literature.

I am thinking in things like Vagabond, Monster and Evangelion, for example. If you guys can help me I would be most grateful.

>rec thread

/a/ told you that too huh?

mushishi

Don't think manga is the good medium for that honestly, you'd better focus on a sensorial approach, berserk is very good with that. There's a few cyberpunk works that may correspond though, Lain, Thexhnolyze, Ghost in the Shell, Genocyber - but only the first oav, or akira.

I tried /a/ sometimes, for different reasons. But the main fact is that they are never willing to offer good advice, or suggest anime/manga that deals about some specific topic, or even to name their favorites. All they want to do is post pics of kawaii young girls and talk about them in an almost scary way (I mean, at some point you really start to think that those guys really want to have sex with cartoon girls instead of real ones; and to suggest that many of them masturbate whit images from anime is not an exaggeration).

And is not just the fact that they don’t want to help: they simply only want to offend you and make you leave. It’s as if they were assuming that you might be mentally healthier than them and that this is somehow offensive; is as if they thought that if people like you started coming to the board that it would become “normalized” or “productive” or “serious”, and they just want to masturbate with their cute cartoon dolls.

But I am probably interpreting them wrongly: who knows what is on their minds.

There isn't a single anime or manga that are as good as literature, assuming we are talking best works and not Harper Lee/Vonnegut/Adams type of works. But there's good anime,
Ghost in the Shell and Mamoru Oshii in general is the most talented authors in the medium.
Mushishi and Moninoke are sort of similar, but different in tone and both make for compelling shows.
Ergo Proxy is pretty great cyberpunk if you like refferences and PKD
Serial Experiments Lain is great
Haibane Renmei is one of the most touching existential stories, surprisingly reminiscing of Christian themes
Planetes is a character driven hard sf
Tatami Galaxy is dank animation and romance
Trigun is fun
Kaiji is a fantastic thriller
Kaiba is a nice experimental show
Serei No Moribito is probably the only high fantasy style show in anime that is really good
Wings of Hanneamise is early Anno, and good one too
Texchnolyze is Schoppy of the 21sr century

With the topic of effort, struggle to be the best, talent with your craft, etc., that can be related with the art of writing and the process of becoming a writer, I recently watched a great anime called “Ping Pong The Animation”. I suggest people who like anime to give it a try.

>or even to name their favorites
There are daily threads of people posting each other favorites.

Not him, but it's like going to reddit for literature recs

maybe if you weren't such a normie they wouldn't be so hostile

retard phonefaggot

shit, i just watched that too. watched it a 2nd time right after. probably one of the best coming of age animes that ive ever seen. not to mention the animation style was right up my alley.

Check out his other works, Mind Game, Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy.

already have lol. I really enjoyed all of them, but Tatami Mat Galaxy is my favorite of his, just because im a sucker for time travel/repetition plots. also ill be goddamned if the main character is not relatable as fuck. plus, again, the animation style was breathtaking. and the soundtrack.

He's the only author right now who is making things that have artistic value, which is sad because animation has a lot of potential.

hmm what about mononoke and mushishi zoku shou? I really enjoy the art direction of those. although I guess those are just two anime in a sea of regular ass regular animation.

I love those two.
I like Mononoke more because it's really bold, it deals with stuff that often doesn't get books published.
But these are rare, outside of experimental shorts.
For those, House of Small Cubes, Furiko and Kafka: A Village Doctor are treats.

If you're serious these are good

Texhnolyze (this is the pinnacle of anime in general and a genuine work of art)

Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku

Lain

Haibane Renmei

Sanctuary
Kara no Kyoukai
Lain
Mouryou no Hako
Aku no Hana
Aoi Bungaku

You actually have shit taste

Ok.
Thanks for letting me know.

No problem. Glad to help.

anime: shoujo kakumei utena (1997)

thats literally the only one

Uchouten Kazoku is basically The Brothers Karamazov

Neon genesis evangelion
Serial experiments lain
The art of Mushishi is great
Cowboy Bebop

/a/ is bullshit, that place is full of autistic and
pedophile weabos. This kind of people have destroyed the anime/manga industry.

good to kn
ow my
frie
n
d

worthy manga, also Urusawa is an overrated hack that can't end stories worth a shit. 20th CB is the manga equivalent of Lost.

>Cowboy Bebop
shit taste

Beserk
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Mushishi
Evangelion

if anime were literature the most of anime would fall into genre fiction, that includes evangelion

the only anime genre which does not completely fall there imo it's slice of life; though something like lucky star can be described as a coming of age story

also some additional pieces without clear anime genre don't fall there too, for instance stuff by miyazaki, haibanei reinmei etc

>Haibane Renmei
it's better than haruki murakami's hard-boiled wonderland by which it was clearly inspired

science fiction, cyberpunk, fantasy, science fiction

audisn

Well if you weren't retarded you'd see there are one page threads or 3x3 ones.

Right now there's a "horror" thread where you can get some anime by reading it and if you lurk more you'll find similar threads with different content but newfags never want to lurk for some reason, maybe because you're lazy and just want to be spoonfed like in reddit where you come from.

Why is /a/ so autistic about the spoonfeeding meme though? As for the 3x3 threads, nig if you try asking a source on some of the images, everyone tells you to fuck off.

Fate/stay night, the adventure game for PC/PS2/PSP

It is difficult to apply the same categories through which we approach literature to any other medium, but even where it is possible, it is quite impossible for them to "mean" the same thing in terms of what genres have to offer us. Thus it is that romance in the novel means one thing in the 19th century, and quite another in the present postmodern era, where romance novels line the shelves of supermarkets, of all places. Meanwhile, the attribution of the category of "genre fiction" to anime seems most problematic, specifically on the grounds that anime deals primarily with the genres usually tossed under that umbrella in the literary realm, whereas what we call "literary fiction" would, if "translated" into anime, itself seem quite alien or grotesque, much in the same way we find depictions of "action" or whatever else the so-called genre fiction consists of objects of denigration and excuses to disregard the literature altogether. As the application of literary approaches to that other, American visual art form, cinema, makes clear, entirely different formulations are required when dealing with anime, for it is a form for which "cyberpunk," for instance, is de riguer, whereas for the novel it is irreducibly Other.

Why do you want your audio/visual media to be like literature? You know you can watch anime and read books. Still though:

>Wings of Honneamise: The Royal Space Force
Imagine Contact but with no aliens and not made for stupid Americans who want to feel smart while having everything explained to them every ten minutes.

>Genocyber
I think this might be the best thing to come out of Japanese cyberpunk. The medium of animation really let them go nuts with showing people and society physically becoming a chaotic mess and being a later work of the genre the ideas are a bit more defined than 'HOLY SHIT MY FLESH IS BECOME STEEL AND NOW I'M GOING TO FUCK THE PLANET!'

>Neon Genesis Evangelion
For all the shit it gets for being meme-tier this is actually pretty great. It's probably the greatest analysis of the psyche of the modern nerd that we'll ever get on top of being a personal and introspective story about depression.

>Space Pirate Captain Harlock
>Galaxy Express 999
>Queen Millennia
I think that Leiji Matsumoto is a great storyteller. He really brings out romance and adventure in everything he makes in a way that nobody else can in tv.

>Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Very cool story about survival and self-determination, but to really appreciate what it's getting at I think it's best to be pretty familiar with the /m/ works that preceded it. In particular I think it's much better if you watch Fang of the Sun Dougram first. Dougram's also a cool show but it's pretty much 'The Battle of Algiers-lite: IN SPACE!'

Really, I think if you like anime or manga it seems like a mistake to look for literary merit. I read shoujo manga because I think they're pretty.

>Genocyber
patrician as fuck
>but only the first oav
scratch that, user is a faggot. Part 3 is GOAT and the weirdass English dub only makes it better.

>Wings of Hanneamise is early Anno, and a good one too
I get the impression that this is all a very skilled ruse.