Posr your stacks, Veeky Forums

Posr your stacks, Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loeb_Classical_Library),
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

kill yourself

This is a peaceful thread, have some manners!

go back to plebbit with your 'manners' and pathetic stack

What she did to you? Care to explain?

dropped in to this thread from the first page to tell you you're summer bye

Bump. I have no friends and want to see what anons are reading.

>being a materialist
>killing trees
>spending money

>flimsy philosophical justifications for being a cheapskate

These books should cure depression, right?

No cleaning mode
I have the same shelf I had in high school mode

Bro you aren't anything like Diogenes

But you are a faggot.

Your camera's also on shitty mode and your books are on pleb mode.

savage mode

>eating bread
>killing wheat

trees are farmed

I just love Hackett, to be honest.

Some recent purchases. Essais was a nice deal at $5.50.

How is that Augustine book?

Everyone buys me books about people I express vague interest in

Also 2 copies of boardwalk empire

Do you even read? What the hell kind of shelf is that?

i do all of my reading digitally, that's just shit i've accrued over the years from birthdays, christmas, etc.

the more i linger around lit i begin to see why posts like these elicit negative reactions

nobody cares what you read and nobody is impressed.

>All The Light We Cannot See

I've been thinking of picking this up; rave reviews online and my local bookstore was parading it for a while. What do you think of it?

What do you think, Veeky Forums?

kek

idk why but that's cracking me up user. (the idea that your bookshelf is entirely consisting of gifts from friends & family)

God can help you with that.

Takes one to know one.

What is a stack?
I never really got this. I keep all my books on my bookshelf

Why every single bookshelf of this site always have a rigid cover
Here in italooo it's almost impossible to find a book with a rigid cover, the biggest book seller (Mondadori) NEVER, at least that i saw, sold a book with a nice rigid cover

Kafka book conatins both "The Trial" and "The Castle"
English title of the Faulkner is "The Hamlet"
A yankee in king Arthur's court by Mark Twain
Two Women of China
Farewell, Gulsary! by Chinghiz Aitmatov
Ikarus in Pest

My great-aunt is cleaning her shelves so she let me take some stuff.

>The Empire Strikes Back and Alien
Just for some giggles. Pulp, for some reason, is just silly when translated into Hungarian.

>A short story collection and a Hungarian YA novel
Curiosity.

>Flaubert's Madame Bovary
>Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles
>Bellow's Herzog
>Parts 1 and 2 of a Boccaccio collection
>Gorky's The Mother and Ilya's Childhood(?)
>Émile Zola's Nana
>Louis Aragon's The belles of Basel
I haven't read anything from these as I don't really read anything pre-WW1 but I'm trying to change that.

Are/were Aragon and Bellow well known or influential? Never heard of them.

Not pictured are Maugham's Theatre, The Moon and Sixpence, Cakes and Ale and Ashenden, all together for less an a euro. Long live second-hand bookshops.

a kurva istenit

jelaous vagy petikém?

csak az Alízra, egyébként csak köszöntem

1400 volt újonnan.

someone got memed

but the memes are so tasty, if I enjoy it who gives a shit?

me. i hope that you've read secondary sources on greece/rome before trying to read classical historians

Anything in particular that you recommend?

>bought herodotus and was super hyped

>attempt to read it and don't recognize any of the cities, people or jargon being tossed around

the guys not kidding, those histories are hard they don't really hold your hand.

Get the Landmark edition, people. How many times does it need to be said?

Kill me

did you like europe central?

I was under the impression this was a recent purchases thread. So I can't help you there, my friend

>thousands of dollars chair guy

why you got two V and two brothers karamazov? go on a buying spree and forget about it?

Ayyy I've got that dick too
except mine's hard

Bump.

y tho
What's Desperate Characters like? I will do my best to end your agony if you answer me.

you must really like john hawkes

Can I get some money mate?

Coming up next on the list.

tips on stacking books, mine are pretty prone to falling

Dude right on, there's some great stuff in there. A few words of advice

The jargon and the geography get very easy very fast. Start with Herodotus and reference the maps in the back whenever necessary. Lots of people love the Landmark editions for their accessibility, and there's certainly value in that, but part of the fun (and learning experience) of the Greeks is introducing you to some of the world's most significant geography, and also teaching you how to approach history (and geography in it). You'll soon realize how historical writing expands and contracts on different subjects, and will learn to better identify which subplots and geographical locations have far-reaching significance, and which (like VERY many in the Greeks) are never mentioned again--possibly for the rest of history. If you read Herodotus->Thucydides you will have an understanding of Eastern Mediterranean geography sufficient to rarely need maps. Reading Livy will do the same for Italy--as you move forward in Livy's books, this scope expands from central Italy to all Italy, to eventually including Spain, a bit of Gaul (France), northern Africa, and the rest of the Mediterranean.

You can get secondary sources for a more modern perspective, but, again, part of the fun is seeing ancient events through ancient eyes. Read the intros of the books you have now, and you'll get a workable context for understanding what's going on. Those intros will also introduce you to further primary sources, and will recommend relevant secondary sources.

Few other bits:

Definitely read Thucydides.

After Thucydides, seriously consider Xenophon's "Hellenika," aka "A history of my times" (as marketed by Penguin). He picks up immediately where T leaves off.

Machiavelli's Discourses are phenomenal, but before you read them, read (obviously) at least Livy's first 10 books, some political Plato (Statesman and Republic), and Polybius--a most criminally underrated historian. M draws on all these heavily. P's history can only be found in full from Loeb Classical Library (EXTREMELY valuable to be acquainted with this, as more popular publishers like Oxford will repackage historians without telling you beforehand, and only Loeb always publishes complete texts: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loeb_Classical_Library), but the Oxford edition serves as a good intro to him, offering 7 of his books in their entirety, while the Penguin edition covers more of his books, but most/all are abridged.

Good luck!

My absolute faves in all the different editions

genuinely kek'd

How did you know?

laughed at the copr

>I'm majoring in philosophy and want to post on Veeky Forums for attention and praise

that red moon book it utter shit btw.

>it's because I don't waste it on physical books

That looks like it's about $10,000, which few people on Veeky Forums have spent on books. You overestimate how much books cost. I have ~1,200 books, for which I've only spent ~$3,000.

>implying you're that rich

not everyone buys some paper shreds from 1950 and call them books bruh

trust me it's my money

How many of those have you honestly read? It doesn't look like you've read many.

Some great stuff in there pal.

I don't have any books as old as that, sans a few hardcovers.

Isn't this a thread for tbr stacks?

Buy a better camera

>Isn't this a thread for tbr stacks?

Damn, I'm pretty envious if that's a tbr stack. Some excellent works there.

yo dawg how's Neverwhere? I loved Stardust so do you recommend Neverwhere?

It's actually not bad. It takes a little bit to get going, kinda boring at first. It's pretty imaginative and has some nice imagery. It's pretty simplistic in it's writing style, nothing that's going to blow your mind, but it's a fun little read.

I'd say it's worth it.

>stacking books

not everyone can afford hyperbaric chambers for their books bro

The key to selling paper copies is specializing in the niche of paper writing imo

Actually I'm studying at a technical school to become an engineer, and I post here because despite the abundance of people who don't contribute anything (you) there are cool people who are nice and give good recommendations like

thanks for the quality post, I've been putting off diving into plato so this will give me a good excuse to start reading his work. I'm partially aware of Polybius but am less aware of his influence on Machiavelli so I'll be sure to read those books before discourses.

welp

have you ever taken a picture before in your life?

Check your photo-taking privilege shitlord

Are you Russian?

i love how you waved the camera around to create the blur that symbolizes the blurred vision of addiction and simultaneously makes the photo a jest which is an unclear photo yet infinite jest can still be made out in all the chaos signifying the significance of the book in the statement you're trying to make

well done and godspeed, friend

>infinite jest and a swastika

Bump.

Read all but Conquest of Bread by Kropotkin

I'm not actually new to general reading, but I'm new to reading in english, so I'd be glad if someone could reccomend me something do read next

I'm not actually new to general reading, but I'm new to reading in english, so I'd be glad if someone could recommend me something do read next

1/3

2/3

3/3

If you've read all 54 of those books, holy shit, congratulations

>complete novels of balzac
>TRANSLATED
into the trash it goes

Meant to add :
Identity is good so far
and I didnt know Symposium was gay as fuck

Don't worry OP, summer will end someday.

Donation stacks.

How is Queneau in translation?

I like the way you organize your shelf, user

It's hit or miss, but still impressive given the complexity of the task (see examples). Supposedly Queneau himself approved Wright's translation.

It's a great little book. I'm only donating it because I limit myself to a six-shelf bookcase, so I routinely have to purge.