What does Veeky Forums think of The School of Life?

What does Veeky Forums think of The School of Life?

theschooloflife.com/london/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=85Ly9w3XsTo
youtube.com/watch?v=npNc5P_66tQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Based on the name, they're probably a bunch of faggots desu

>men's designer clothes
STOP BEING SO FUCKING BLAND

Clothes are for homos, best male outfit is none.

That's not half as fucking gay as their retreats

They're a cult, this is well-known on Veeky Forums

Nothing is well-known on Veeky Forums

Actually, this is the one thing we have agreed on there.

I bet all those solitary confinement people are the happiest men on Earth.

I bet, like other people in cults or religions.
It's the price you pay though, user.

Alain de Botton is a pseudo-intellectual and a fraud.

give me the run-down, even if it must be in /pol/-tier infographic form

alain de botton publishes pop philosophy videos on his youtube channel where he incorrectly summarizes schools of philosophy in under five minutes to push overpriced books and sweaters.

huh.

There's something really weird about de Botton's attempts at popularizing philosophy and commercializing it. And I don't say this from a Marxist angle, but from a more centrist one.

I don't know why de Botton really wants philosophy to be "part of the people" again.
It was always high falutin shit and the fallout society got was always in the form of tidbits or hundreds of years later as a religion.

Jerking off to de Botton-approved material only is step 1 to joining the cult

youtube.com/watch?v=85Ly9w3XsTo

So he's basically a 21st century equivalent of Epicurus and TSOL is his Garden?

he doesn't really care, he just wants to make money in his chosen field. He's doing a ridiculously good job of it too as far as taking advantage of people's vague vanity in wanting to feel smart for knowing some pop trivia about philosophers

it really does look cool, though

no I know what it is, that their videos can be inaccurate or shallow, and that they flog stupid crap. why are they a cult is what I mean.
probably the same reason most philosophers in history and now want it to be popular; they think it will improve people's lives, create change they want to see in the world, and convince people of the value of philosophy so that they'll get funding and/or stop getting picked on. I would be surprised if he's the first one to do it while also selling shoes, really. I would say there may be more impetus to do that after philosophy allegedly nose-dived into obscurity in the late 20th century, but tsol has only done like 5 videos on pomo frenchies.

they both look pretty good

huh.

John Green's philosophy channel is literally 10x better

yeah but you can find things that look similar at k-mart and your local shoe store.

Someone in the comments of one of their vids said it best, and I'm paraphrasing here, but it seems like every video ends with the same sort of statement: the meaning of life is to be found here, watch more of our videos.

garbage made for rich talent-less pseuds

>Dat heidegger video being a massive apology for the they self

Cancer

The school of life is mostly an ""introduction"" for philosophy etc. What they do is cram stuff into a 5 min video, and its really not that bad desu. Botton seems like a genuine nice guy, but he is more of a standup guy then a "real" philosopher. He still has some valid points in some if his videos (even tho its all the same thing in every video of his).

School of life may be videos for plebs, but its not all crap.

The videos on their youtube that aren't summarizing philosophy/literature are actually very relevant to anyone who isn't acquainted with self-reflection. It answers a lot of questions that may need guidance.

And on the videos on philosophy/literature I agree with youtube.com/watch?v=npNc5P_66tQ

Not only that but each philospher they cover gets summed up in a trite little moral at the end of each video

>probably the same reason most philosophers in history and now want it to be popular;
Do they, though? Of course they don't want to be forgotten or ignored, but do they really want their philosophy, and not the result of their philosophy, to be in the head of every pleb, who will 100% guaranteed distort it to something completely different than what they actually meant?

wow Alain de Botton u clever fucker

Cool videos. Nice business idea of selling their shit to really rich pseudo/lit/ people.

I really enjoy their videos and the narrator's voice calms me down. The stuff they sell is interesting but wayyy to expensive

I hate this fucking world, too many god damn fuckers in it.
Too many thoughts and different societies all wrapped up together in this fucking place called AMERICA.
Everyone has their own god damn opinion on every god damn thing,
and you may be saying 'Well what makes you so different?'.
Because I have something only me and V have; SELF AWARENESS.
Call it exortenstiolism or whatever the fuck you want.
We know what we are to this world, and what everyone else is.
We learn more than what caused the civil war and how to simplify quadratics in school.
We've been watching you people and we know what you think and how you act.
All talk and no action.
People who are said to be brave or courageous are usually just STUPID,
then they say later that they did it on purpose cause they're brave,
when they did it on fucking accident.
God everything is so corrupt and so filled with opinions and points of view,
and peoples own little agendas and schedules.
This isn't a world any more.
It's H.O.E and no one knows it.
Self awareness is a wonderful thing.

I want Alain de Botton to take me from behind and whisper his soothing voice in my ear. I want his cock deep inside my Botton.

Charles Bronson seems like a cheeky chappy