Hemingway?

I'm new here, what does Veeky Forums think of Hemingway?

write me a six word story Veeky Forums

For starters it's Hemmingway.

Pop pop pop watching motherfuckers drop

Baby shoes, made from authentic baby.

>underrated post

The man was sad. His name's Hemingway.

For whom the bell tolls is a good book

disregard his hollow war novels. I think The Sun Also Rises is a masterpiece. A Moveable Feast is also fantastic

What's wrong with his war novels?

Only read all of his short stories. Really liked them.

Anyone who isn't a pleb knows he's the worst thing to happen to literature in the 20th Century.

Not the OG user but I think his war novels seem like boy adventures at times, like masculine jacked to the max, and don't fully capture the depravity I'd always thought World War 1 contained.

Then again, Hemingway was in Italy and not anywhere near places like the Somme, so his picture might have been accurate.

IMO, his other works just do a better job of capturing his themes, especially his short stories.

A writer of books for boys.

So they're just a bit tame and make war seem fun? The opposite of the norm for books about the Great War?

Good but not great

Certainly better than the stiff you find in a book shops best sellers aisle but not the peak of literature, his works can actually be considered literature

He took the minimalism meme a bit far, The Sun Also Rise, The Old Man and The Sea and A Moveable feast are his best works

Nah, farewell to arms is a sad story about a man failing: 'I was blown up eating cheese' and for whom the bell tolls is really effecting, though it's at its best when he tells Pilar's story rather than the protag's. It's a little clunky in the writing but I think it is to create the effect of the repetitiveness of war and also the character's distance from the spaniards.

He managed to cultivate a great style of writing, but unfortunately he became a prisoner to it just as Hunter S. Thompson did, I really like how he has written his stuff, he was after all a professional writer, cashing in on what he did best, writing minimalist novels

No they don't make it fun, it just seems somehow to miss the point.

Like its a shocking war that scars the Western world, and yet the main drive of the story revolves around big man+defenseless woman in a romantic setting.

While there are definitely a whole breadth of themes in his work that transcend that definition, for a war novel it just doesn't capture the full brutality.

This is just why I think someone wouldn't like it; it is my opinion that For Whom the Bell Tolls is one of the finest pieces of literature, and his other war novels are just as good.

But thematically speaking, The Sun Also Rises is just much better at conveying what Hemingway seems to want to convey.

Hate his primitive way of writing. His books are literally written for morons.

They are meant to be like that, it is left to the reader to connect the dots, and gather a lot it

For sale: delicious babies, never born

Not hard to connect the dots when he lays them all out so neatly.

Hmmm, I wonder how buckshot tastes?

For sale: hella loud reef brah

It was Hemmmmmmmmmmingway. With ten Ms.

He came. She didn't. It did.

I don't trust anyone who committed suicide.

Oh come on. Plenty of writers and artists have done that. It's the only true way to peace out.

Is that because you're afraid they'll convince you to join them?

Well I mean his short stories are ace and I like Old Man and the Sea since it's in the style of his better short stories, but his War novels are unreadable imo, same with Sun Also Rises. I like him a lot though

What's goood, nigga? What's real good?

isn't the costant escape from our fate suicide anyway?

Bro, he did it because of a serious mental ilness that made him unstable. Why would you not trust someone like that?

yeah FWTBT could be 100 pages shorter but Pilar's story fucked me up

I don't give a shit what popular opinion dictates on this board, Hemingway has been and will always be my favorite writer.

ur r brave and n inspiration 2 us all

Go read the Greeks and jack off to IJ, faggot.

His works aren't universally loved for a reason-- he kind of goes against the grain in the literature world. He's much more masculine than the average writer and that clearly shows.

>The Sun Also Rises
>The Killers
>A Clean Well Lighted Place
>The Old Man and the Sea
Start with these famalam

I love Hemingway but I am an American man-- I can certainly see where some people wouldn't be into him.

Personally, I find his short stories better than his novels. I think his simple prose style and handling of character lends itself better to shorter pieces.

>Madrid is full of boys named Paco, which is the diminutive of the name Francisco, and there is a Madrid joke about a father who came to Madrid and inserted an advertisement in the personal columns of El Liberal which said: PACO MEET ME AT HOTEL MONTANA NOON TUESDAY ALL IS FORGIVEN PAPA and how a squadron of Guardia Civil had to be called out to disperse the eight hundred young men who answered the advertisement. But this Paco, who waited on table at the Pension Luarca, had no father to forgive him, nor anything for the father to forgive.

He never fails to knock my socks off.

i wish i could giv u a standing ovation in txt form

Boring shit but I respect what he did, and he seemed like a really cool dude.

Not a big fan of everything he wrote, but lots of his stuff is good. The Sun Also Rises is a masterpiece of 20th century lit.

I also really appreciate his style; he was the antithesis of pretentious fuckers using tangled language and obscure words. Easy to understand AND worthwhile is a great and uncommon combination.

Right on. Hemingway was a man.

Can anyone recommend a biography on him?

It's commmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmited. With 19 Ms.

In Our time is his best book. He is a master short-story writer. His novels are ok, but In Our Time is world-class. One of the best books I have ever read.

I've only read The Old Man and the Sea.

I really hated it.

B U L L S
A E..........
L.....L.......
L........L....
S..........S..

Backed. I'll take In Our Time over about 98% of the canon any day.

read the Macomber stories, The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, and The Old Man and the Sea. that's all you need to read of him. A Moveable Feast to read snippets of his days in Paris with the Lost Generation. not really insightful but a fun read for aficionados.