How do you get motivated to read, lit? I have a problem...

How do you get motivated to read, lit? I have a problem, I usually pick up a book and then I will read a few pages and I never really feel like finishing it. I have several books to choose from, actually any book I want; I have a kindle so I can just download literally anything. I've read a few books this year, but I had to push myself. The problem is that I think a lot of times the stories I am reading just feel sort of tedious, or I can never find the enthusiasm and intrigue to keep reading a story. How do you keep reading a story and not put it down until the end? I find myself getting so tired when I read books, even though I am on forums all the time and typing and reading; it's not that I have a difficulty reading the words, because I can read just fine. It's a matter of having the attention span I think, and having the will power to keep reading stuff without getting tired. I am not kidding when I say that if I pick up and book and lay down on my bed I fall asleep every single time, which is why I usually try to avoid laying on my bed when I read. I am not kidding, it's like an unbreakable tiredness that I tell myself I will just snap out of, but always makes me fall asleep. What do I do?

maybe you just dont like reading bro

Genesis 1 didn't occur in that circle

that's not cool man, I want to like reading.

B T F O

lol

>How do you get motivated to read, lit?
didn't read the rest. read things you're interested in. or just watch tv/play video games i guess. or die, whatever

why

>Quran

Why does the circle not encompass Mecca then?

The reason I always wanted to get into reading is because reading seems to be this intellectual, mind expanding thing to do; that is always the impression I got from people who talk about reading. I want to get into stuff that will make me think and make me feel new, which will make me look at the world through fresh eyes, and feel rejuvenated. It's a bit difficult though when I am just reading a book and I don't really feel anything and have a hard time following along. I am a big fan of music and I guess I don't mind playing video games (I hate tv). I just idk, really want to get into reading. I think it will make me a smarter and more fulfilled person.

>I think it will make me a smarter and more fulfilled person.

Let me save you a shitload of time. Reading has no magical qualities; all there is is content regardless of the medium. If you get more enjoyment out of watching a movie or playing a video game than reading fiction, you would have to be an idiot to read.

Reading will absolutely NOT make you smarter, at least beyond increasing your vocabulary—and possibly writing skills. Reading non-fictional works, however, will increase your knowledge in that particular field if you picked a good book. Even then, you don't necessarily need to read in-depth books to understand something.

Read with a purpose, or don't bother. If that purpose is enjoyment, that's absolutely fine, but it doesn't sound like it in your case.

I can say one thing, that the books I have enjoyed reading most are Cioran and Pessoa. I usually enjoy reading short couple page essays or stories or journal entries, because I get something out of them and I don't have to wear out my patience on them. I have been wanting to find some good compilations of authors, some good essays. I can definitely say that I prefer to look into short stories and essays and stuff like that than I would full length books.

>I think it will make me a smarter and more fulfilled person.

it will not

do something you actually want to do

There's literally almost nothing I want to do except nothing at all, and listening to music because it requires no thinking and no action.

I don't have to motivate myself to read because I enjoy reading. I have to motivate myself to do things other than reading.

Why are so many people here saying they don't have the motivation to do anything lately? If you can't find pleasure in anything at all, go to a doctor for fuck's sake

then do that

>Why are so many people here saying they don't have the motivation to do anything lately?

Veeky Forums is like catnip for the mentally ill

OP you are just lazy and dont have the habbit just keep reading

And what? Get put on some drugs? No, fuck that. I'm not sad because I lack the proper chemicals, I know that I could be happy. It's just that I feel there's not a good way to achieve the happiness I want in this society. Everyone's brain emits chemicals, but I'm not gonna say oh I'm not happy so therefor I need to drug myself happy, no what the fuck? Pharmaceuticals: the legal equivalent of being a fucking junky. It's a wonder they make drugs illegal, the drug companies want to cut their competition. Fix society, fucking capitalism needs to die.

You don't force yourself to read. You read books you like. If you aren't reading the classics for pleasure you aren't reading the classics. The google robot can soullessly scan pages just as well, you do not need to be the google robot.

I think he was talking about amphetamines, not antidepressants.

OP you seem to consume literature rather than engage with it. Don't read mindlessly just to meet your daily quota of reading, it's a requirement for you to take time appreciating the aesthetics of whatever prose you're reading - savor the taste before you swallow.

Then you need to have a solid intellectual foundation, in order to interpret, letting the text reach beyond it's physical pages. Read introductions to arts and architecture, psycology and sociology, philosophy and history, mathematics and natural sciences.

And here's a practical tip. Buy, accumulate, steal books in quantities you cannot finish in the foreseeable future. Eventualy your guilt kicks in and you'll pick up a reading routine.

>And here's a practical tip. Buy, accumulate, steal books in quantities you cannot finish in the foreseeable future. Eventualy your guilt kicks in and you'll pick up a reading routine.
I've bought over 50 books in the past month. I've definitely tried to more so attack them, in my strategy for sure. I don't care about spending money on books, I set money aside and it's what I wanted to spend it on, I can get buy without that money I spent on books, but I also feel that I want to engage in these books and it's nice having such a large selection of books to fit whatever mood I may be in for whatever I want to try to read next. It's been an ambition of mine to try to get into reading for a while now, and I finally decided that I was just gonna do it.

>Reading will absolutely NOT make you smarter,

It's not true OP. Don't listen.Reading will make you smarter than TV, solely because TV is a passive experience whereas with reading you generally have to do a bit of work. The smartest and most successful people read, A LOT. But that said, don't bother if you don't enjoy it.

this desu
ive pressed f5 for months now without doing anything else