Do you study anything Veeky Forums related?

Do you study anything Veeky Forums related?

i did

If you aren't in meh to suicide tier you're not cool.

I have a "Unbelievable Tier" degree and sincerely wish I could go back in time and study English lit.

>theology isn't cool
Burn in hell.

Math and philosophy. Yes.

Yeah, literature. Technically it's humanities, with a concentration in literature.

I've got a comfy, well-paying job though, so it's not "suicide tier" for me.

>Tfw I'm heading for a math degree
>Tfw it's easy as fuck

this chart would be a lot more accurate if unbelievable tier were simply removed.

also no, I went to school for mathematics because I figured it would be easier to study lit without professors. dunno if that's true or not, but I liked my education.

the retarded tripfag said meh to suicide, which would include theology, which is not cool btw.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to study math without professors?

daily reminder major DOES NOT MATTER, only the rank/prestige of yoru school

I have a name...it's (◡‿◡)"bafflingly stupid as possible"....

I wouldn't say "only." Self-motivation has a lot to do with it too. But then, I suppose self-motivation often gets you to better schools.

Oh. I read too quickly I thought she meant you had to be suicide tier.

Burn in hell btw.

Which is exactly what that user said: retarded tripfag

i saw someone call you boob gap, which i think is a way better name. it's because your smiley looks like boobs separated by pectus excavatum.

No it's (◡‿◡)"bafflingly stupid as possible"

Should I change it?

Add a flower :3 Also replace stupid with cute

You know what that's not a bad damn point. Boob gap sounds cute too.

Instinctively looked at suicide tear and there it was

Not to make this thread too much about me but.....

right back at you for the flattery bubs :3

tier

You're the best

does anyone know if math masters programs require a maths bachelors degree?

just wondering

David?

Depends. The Calculus sequence and Linear Algebra/Diff eq, Yeah. Their pretty easy to learn by yourself. Proof methods, it helps to have a profeessor but you can learn it by yourself. Anything above that, no. Usually the books are kinda muddled(as in they assume you know certain things you may have not covered in detail or at all and use that for a fundamental proof) and self-study is pretty difficult due to the complex nature of whats going on. A professor is definitely necessary to help clear up what's going on in context of the book.

I study literature.

Woah.

You made me make an audible aww
You're good at fucking with my expectations.

How?

Do you think the equivalent of a BS in Math could be done through self-study? I didn't take many Math courses in my undergrad, but I was thinking a MS in Math might be fun to try, since all the ones around here are fully funded despite being mediocre universities.

are you me?

im trying to do the same

I do not see linguistics on that list. Wich is actually a bigger deal here, since we have authorities that dictates how our orthography shall develop in our language.

He probably doesn't live in the United States to begin with.

>Usually the books are pretty muddled
>You can't self-study because it's too complex
Neither of these are true, you're just retarded.

How do people even get the idea that you can't learn mathematics by yourself? You think all your profs and their grad students never read a book without somebody holding their hand?

Besides, even if you do ever reach a complete impasse on a part of a book, there are tons of professional mathematicians on stackexchange that will answer your questions for free.

> history is shit tier

Should I go to grad school for philosophy or psychology? I want to become a professor, but I know professorships for philosophy are few and far between.

I'm in engineering and there are plenty of cool people here

not me though :^)

How'd I get a job, personally? I usually look at the careers section of every website I go to regularly. There's all sorts of jobs that can be done remotely with an English degree. Copywriters, public relations and social media mess, all those bureaucratic-sounding non-titles, things like proofreaders, editors, anything in education fields like creating course content, grading courses, teaching assistants (not to mention teachers), etc. Besides that you've also got to be proactive: reach out to start-ups like publishers, education-related companies, websites that are related to your interests and see if they need someone, even if they haven't posted that they do.

If you want to know specifically what I'm doing, I grade tests for ETS and do side work as a proofreader for a few publishers.

I do, though.

I'm working on a computer science degree. I'm pretty envious of those who have life situations that allow them to get lit degrees.

that whales like "look at these lolis"

Do you already have another Masters too? If so, I may be you.

I just don't like the idea of not learning/actively earning a degree. Especially if it's totally funded.

Yeah if you don't go to grad or med school with physics and chem you're fucked.

>Besides that you've also got to be proactive: reach out to start-ups like publishers, education-related companies, websites that are related to your interests and see if they need someone, even if they haven't posted that they do.
This is good advice (can't speak specifically for English, but in general). Trying to get jobs through postings is more difficult, especially with little experience, because there's lots of competition.

Going through private channels not only gives off the impression that you're genuinely interested in working there and not just spamming resumes, you're also competing with much fewer people (if any at all).

Is there something below suicide tier?

I'd be edgy enough to be interested in something like that.

>prescriptivist linguistics instead of descriptivist

baka

Sure this list is constructed based on money potential.

Unaccredited major that your advisor talks you into because you are young and impressionable and the school wants to be able to list having that degree. Happened to my cousin.

That or going to a for profit college.

Library science.

How to become more motivated desu? I don't care about much of anything these days

Do you have rich parents? If the answer is no, then you shouldn't go grad school for the humanities. And also it depends on the strength of the programs. Go with whichever one is stronger at your school and you may get lucky and get a decent paying job in marketing with your bachelor's

I don't get the backlash against this. There are degreed librarian positions open almost constantly around my city, which spans several dozen library districts. There's got to be at least some demand.

Can't help you with that, user. I wish I knew how, so I could help some of the people I care about irl become motivated to do anything at all. It doesn't seem to be something you can teach.

Lol I forgot that some people actually did this.

So many reasons. Libraries are going to the wayside with the digital age so many states are talking about closing them down. Also since you have degree you are probably less likely to get hired because they will have to pay you more. Why would they pay someone a degree worthy salary just to put books on the shelves.

The only place I can think where this would be needed is at really large libraries or uni libraries. The amount of positions for this field has to be small. The only way there can be hope for this is that the number of people with your degree seeking those positions is really small and relatively weak.

I know trying to get into the humanities is pretty much a joke at this point, but there are people doing it. I just wonder what it takes for these people to get into positions at universities. I keep wondering if I am a "chosen one".

user, I think you're confused about what librarians do. They aren't the shelvers. Those jobs are given to pages, minimum wagers if not volunteers.

The librarians are the people who do acquisitions and weeding of the books, management of the grants and bureaucracy, handling the library's cataloging systems and running all those programs for the underprivileged and/or children.

Philosophy and Computer Engineering.

The latter sucked out all my life. I don't know what to do with my life now. I just know I don't want to work as an engineer. Should I do an MBA? Should I just learn a trade? I want a comfy part time job and spend the rest of the day reading and writing. Due to my last relationship and general problems with women I opt out of having a family, too (even though I wanted nothing else for many years). Wanna live in a small shack with a large garden and my comfy part time job, yeah.

Focus on something rare in your programming skills (COBOL?), become a consultant, work 20 hours per week for double pay

This is a shit list because it is based on someone's personal interests. If you want to make money with just a bachelors, Computer Science, Finance, Business, Accounting, Applied Math, and Economics are probably the best choices especially considering the Engineering market is now flooded with recent graduates. If you want a solid education in the humanities, English, Classics, and Philosophy are the most rigorous and cover the greatest breadth of knowledge. The traditional sciences such as Physics, Biology, Mathematics, etc. see mediocre unless you pursue a doctorate, then you can become a professor-researcher or get a $ick quant job. Engineering is a pretty shit deal. Every other engineering student I meet is planning on pursuing a masters degree because they don't have any employment prospects. They would have been better off with Chad Thundercock in Financial Accounting 101 literally using middle school algebra to balance books for an OK middle class job. Plenty of great writers have been accountants and tax collectors: Miguel de Cervantes comes to mind immediately and didn't Joyce get bored at a bank in Rome for a year?

Anyway, I studied English for 3 years in university but changed majors to Computer Science after being a NEET for 2 years. I plan on quitting whatever I'm doing if I get a fat check in the mail for one of my novels... even if it doesn't come until I'm 40.

I study international relations (I don't know what tier to put it, probably meh tier)

so yes I have a pretty Veeky Forums friendly major, probably won't work in my field since it should be called Nepotism Inc.

here.
Cause I'm an English major.
And yes, I am retarded. My major is a literal meme.

Study outside of class as often as you can. It won't be easy, but it's worth it.

No, but I'm hoping to go back in a few years and do so.

why the hell would i waste my time and money on Veeky Forums bullshit?

>tfw Psychology with minor in rhetoric
>School doesn't offer philosophy
>Can't transfer
>4.0 but no scholarships
>There are people getting free rides to play leather ball
>Major is still shit tier
>Psychology program is full of half-retarded students
At least the teachers are cool.

I did a double major in Political Science and history. In my defense I have no debt from it (took no loans) and I graduated really early. I figure I can use it to teach English in a foreign country (they usually require a bachelors) or apply to the Peace Corps. If I don't fall into a cool job from that I figure I could always teach high school history, it might be meh but it would be better than office work. That or I can get my library sciences degree and become an archivist. I had considered becoming a professor but I hear the pay and security is horrible. Maybe I'll be an adjunct in a community college if I ever can live off of investing or if I'm old and retired.

Or I could just go learn a trade and live a "comfortable" plebian life and read on the side.

>I just wonder what it takes for these people to get into positions at universities.

Sexual favors to people in high places

Library Science is legit IF and only if you want to live in a top 20 population city or suburb. Even in a city of 150K I have never seen a job I could qualify for yet, so would be very careful there but yeah its somewhat underrated, sometimes you can get dope work like spending the day building websites, or you can look at old documents and digitize then add metadata so that computers can find it, or yeah, help people learn what stocks are and how to invest, actually feels good to know you can help lift people up too ya know.

I have been a librarian for 2 years and definitely considering Law School and then doing Big Law Librarian, then I don't need to do a lot of weird shit with old infirm and homeless people like I thought I would like to do because I considered myself a "humanitarian who loves books". :/

>Computer Engineering.
What did you study? I'm deciding between CE and CS

Let me tell you why that list is literal bullshit:

As a med student, I can tell you with absolute certainty that if you don't even understand Anatomy, Biochemistry, Biology, or Pharmacology, which are all located one tier below Medicine, you will NEVER EVER be able to become a good doctor. So forget "employment, usefulness to market, salary, and environment", you will fail as a professional if you don't understand the foundation. Besides, employment and environment are not necessarily guaranteed in Medicine. Employment depends on way more on the person than on the discipline. And most of the time the "environment" is absolute literal dogshit, because you're working along arrogant assholes.

So fuck your list, in fact fuck any list that is made for the only purpose of making yourself feel superior to others only based on what you chose to study.

>What did you study?
Sorry, I'm a bit tired. I meant it as, what is the content that you studied/learned?

Anthropology

>As a med student, I can tell you with absolute certainty that if you don't even understand Anatomy, Biochemistry, Biology, or Pharmacology, which are all located one tier below Medicine, you will NEVER EVER be able to become a good doctor.
So? Are you supposed to have 5 bachelors to be a good doctor then? You don't study that shit IN the medicine course?

proofreading student assistant job for the SoCA. Worth majoring in English. Good prospects. Good advice.

Bad usage of English degree: attempt to write a book your entire life and never accomplish it and live in your car involuntarily (or voluntarily, in some places)

Palaeontology

I'm about as poor as you can get in my country, have no support or housing from my parents or anyone else other than my equally poor girlfriend, was able to pursue other disciplines, including science (not eng though), but I still choose lit as my major, and philosophy as my minor. What's your excuse?

I'm in my final semester, and when I finish, I'm going to become a fireman.

god tier here, and same.

I hate These fucking meme charts too much. It should be like this

God tire
Medicine/Law/Engineering

Good tire
Bussinese/Computer science

Shit tire
Everything else

what the fuck is this stupid chart?

>le god tier stem
Fuck off, Reddit

>tire

I remember meeting a guy from okcupid who was literally majoring in foreign languages and gender studies and he was fat and had green hair and would get on camera and show me his nail polish and drink juice boxes and eat pringles. It was so disgusting, I actually just removed him and blocked him one day because I couldn't stand it.

I honestly wish this planet would die, or better yet, I was thinking about suicide a little bit this morning. I care more about art and philosophy than literally anything, and to be honest I don't really even care that much about making art besides appreciating art (besides the fact that I'm not bad at art). My whole life is stymied because I am too bored with school to stand sitting in a college classroom, my parents are helping me find some minimum wage job at a food delivery service because I quit college 3 times.

I literally have been contemplating suicide lit. I hate this world and there's no way out.

you sound like me, my friend. except I have little talent at creating art, sadly. I live pretty much only for the next book or piece of music to appreciate.

I'm the same with music, to be honest. I didn't think to mention in because it's such a worthless hobby, but I think that I probably know more music than almost anyone on earth. It's been an obsessive interest of mine since I was in my early teens.

this.

If you are actually smug about finding an undergraduate degree easy you should consider suicide. Fucking pleb.

Philosophy. Hoping to do an advanced degree in Cog Sci or phil. The job-prospects aren't good and I will most likely struggle if I don't make it to research-lvl, but I find the work very engaging and the student loans aren't too bad (Northern yurop).

>you are rated on how useful a tool you are and how many consumer points you can accumulate

I'm by no means aversive to work, but god damn it STEM friends, stop being so vulgar.

Let me just close my eyes to write this so I don't have to feel oppressed by the world and I can actually think. You know what's disgusting about this chart? The very premise on which the ratings are based. The only thing that matters in this world is the applicability of a job to society and how much money it makes? If that's the only thing that really matters then this is a pretty shallow fucking life. Is that really the basis on which you can rate jobs for their worth? I think that seems like a pretty subjective rating, I couldn't imagine anyone but some vain sociopath thinking that money is literally the only important thing in this world.

Okay, now time for slightly unrated to the first part I wrote part two. I think that in an ideal world people wouldn't really have to work. There would only be some jobs that people could take turns doing because they're necessary, not make society's sole function and purpose for living to become consumers of goods and figure out what the best way to market and become a business man or work for some business. How could someone not see how shallow a purpose that is? I look at the industrial revolution as simply phase 1 to an automatic livelyhood for human beings. The next step will be to make everything automated so human beings won't really have to work, or simply implant the data students have to learn directly in their brains so they don't have to spend any time in school.

I wouldn't lie to you about this, I feel that my life has been robbed and I possibly have become inescapably apathetic towards our modern day existence from what I have been put through in our society. If you read through everything I just wrote and you still think that the be all end all virtue of everything is work, then I really have nothing to say to you because the well of rationality inside of my head has been depleted at this point and all that's left on the bottom is my anger and resent towards you and people like you. Except I'm not going to go there and end on some defensive insecure not like I see many people do who are upset at the world, although I do feel that way quite a bit. I feel horrible about the world I live in.

Sometimes I almost conflate being intelligent in a boring ass field like the ones in those charts with actually having "worth while" and "not worth while" sorts of intelligence. If I'm simply a retarded dumbass because I'm not smart in a higher field on that chart, then I guess I'm just thrown into some bizarre alternative universe, because that's fucking bullshit. Tbh the only things that interest me on that chart are in the shit tier and meh tier fields.

Biology (Medicine, Economics, and Physics tri-major.

May take out a philosophy minor if I get more scholarships.

>Ecology shit tier

Dropped.

Why regret not having formally studied something so easily self-taught?

What part of northern europe?

Sweden

I thought you fucks didn't have to take out loans.

Engineering is a bloated job market and Medicine and Law require too much debt. Law is also in the same boat as engineering. If anything, CS and degrees that can get you a job in a bank are probably the best.

I wrote that huge post and no one's gonna respond?

You're beyond saving if you think that because they are a part of a curriculum, it diminishes their importance.