Gatsby translated

How do they translate "old sport" in your language?

>French
>"cher vieux"
>literally "dear old man"

What a useless, inefficient language.

>no direct equivalent of a colloquial expression in X foreign language
>must be because that language is shit ahahahah XDDDD

Literally retarded comment.

"Vieux" also means "mate", though.

Didn't read

Cry more surrender nigger

>le surrender may may XD

Fuck off to .

>defending the french language

Cmon mate...

XDDD

Putain, quel site de merde rempli d'anglo-saxons de merde.

see

Damn, what a shitty site with anglo-saxon shit

This thread was worth reading just to see rage from the french old sport

hon hon seems wé'vé stumbled upon quite an angry frog here haven't wè?

You're welcome to go so to some frenchcuck website any time you want. There you can talk about your cheese and homosexuality and military cowardice in your awful pigspeak all you want.

>frenchcuck
>cuck

Im not the french guy but why is everything about cucking these days? Jesus christ

Je suis americain et je pense que tu es stupide.

user it's not just a meme. If history has consistently proven anything, it's that French people are literal cucks.

It's a meme you dip.

So is it a /b/ thread about France (who suck lol) and Frenchmen (who are buttmad cucks lol), or a thread about Gatsby?

I know we're on Veeky Forums, so expectations shouldn't be too high, but seeing this shit on Veeky Forums is a bit worrying desu

Gamle dreng

>Im not the french guy but why is everything about cucking these days? Jesus christ

you may not be the french guy, but you are the cuck guy

Viejo culiao

>le goodhearted mediator of Veeky Forums discussion

do you want a pat on the back or something kid?

nope, just for people to stop acting like retards in one of the better literature discussion platforms on the internet

Shut up you fucking cuck lel

t. Veeky Forums 2016

are you trying to be funny right now?

>one of the better literature discussion platforms on the internet

Pretty sad to admit it, but... it's probably true.

Blow your whistle some more you fucking Veeky Forums referee kek

I hate this board. I hate that I keep coming back. I hate myself.

>le "it's a Veeky Forums board so I can go full retard" meme

Go back to your containment board.

Oh shit, red card. I've been ejected

Saw my poem on this theme?

How do I get rid of this weird skin that's pushing itself over your fingernail?

>I'm fresh off the boat and you should all change to fit my expectations

Hwæt þæt hæmed hæmande sægdest þu latelic onbutan me, þu lytelu bicce?

Vanha urheilu

could they use "mec" in that situation?

no, much too friendly and not the right social environment
I'm not even sure the word mec existed back then.

Not really.

"Mec" is extremely familiar, and borderline disrespectful. You'd better know someone well before calling him "mec", otherwise it's offensive (IMO). Almost like saying "nigga".

Whereas "mon vieux" is familiar too, but it's more affectionate (like saying "my old friend"). "Vieux" alone is somewhere between "mon vieux" and "mec".

It did exist. I saw it in a Jean Genet book from the 40s.

But I think it was only used by criminals back then ("mec" meaning "mac" = "pimp" in English), not by the general population.

"mec" is almost he equivalent of "mate" said by a young person, altough for exemple while bartenders in the UK will ask you "alright m8?" to engage conversation in France the only people who will call you "mec" are younger and usually in a situation where something unusual is happening (ie. you get hit by a car and a man hurries over to you and asks "hé mec ça va?")

In Dutch it's translated as "goeie kerel", which literally means good fellow and is an accurate translation.

Don't reply to frenchies please

"Mec" is also used by uneducated people who suddenly want to belittle you in an argument.

>c'est n'importe quoi, mec !

>being this mad

i really don't get this board's hatred towards French

It's all the boards.

Basically:

>the English are mad at us since forever (1066? Hundred Years War? Napoléon?)

>Americans are mad at us because our faggy president didn't want to follow their faggy war in 2003... and now they will meme their surrender jokes until the end of times (literally)

>the rest of the world isn't concerned, but bandwagons the mighty Anglo who's got a gooey penis anyhow

That's all.

This board is horrible

>Frenchfaggot pretending that the whole world doesn't also see him as a joke

Mestizaje maligno

>the rest of the world isn't concerned, but bandwagons the mighty Anglo who's got a gooey penis anyhow

Yup, that's some surrender monkey delusion right there

Que viens-tu de baragouiner à mon sujet, jeune paltoquet ? Sache que je fus le mousquetaire préféré de sa majesté, et j'ai conduit de nombreux assauts sur les adorateurs de Calvin, et j'ai estourbi plus de 300 chiens galeux de ta sorte. Je suis prompt à occire tous les hérétiques, et suis le meilleur arquebusier de toute la chrétienté. Tu n'es rien que de la panse de chien galeux pour moi. Je vais t'anéantir avec un zèle que le genre humain ignore encore, rappelle-toi ces satanés mots. Pensais-tu qu'une échappade furtive suffirait à me couper les bras ? Médite cela, foutriquet. Alors que nous parlons, j'informe mes correspondants dans tous les régiments de dragons qui peuplent la terre natale, et ton nom de baptême circule de bouche en bouche dans les plus sombres tavernes du royaume, si bien que tu ferais mieux de faire tes prières devant le sort infâme qui t'attend, sac à purin. Le sort qui anéantira le sale je ne sais quoi que tu appelles, avec outrecuidance, ta vie. Tu es déjà décédé, foutredieu. Je puis apparaître partout, n'importe quand, pour t'occire de sept cent manières différentes, sans même daigner enlever mes gants. Mortecouille, je suis plus qu'aguerri à couper les jarrets des marauds comme toi, et j'ai de surcroît tous les canons du royaume de France à ma disposition, et j'en ferai bon usage pour pulvériser ta carcasse de renégat et en débarrasser la couronne de France, nom d'un chien. Si seulement tu savais quelle divine rétribution ton petit commentaire de jean-foutre allait faire choir sur tes abattis, peut-être aurais-tu tourné sept fois la langue dans ton misérable gosier. Mais tu ne le pus, tu ne le fis, et tu en recueilles à présent l'effroyable moisson, triple buse. La fureur du ciel va pleuvoir sur ton enveloppe terrestre, et tu t'y noieras sans échappatoire. Tu vas rejoindre le Père éternel, cornichon.

ese mi homie

>The nation that unleashed Napoleon/Louis XVI/etc thinks it didn't do nuffin

Heh...

Pic related, your only good contribution to the world.

Depending on the translation it's either
"alter Knabe"/"alter Junge" (literally old boy) or "Sportsfreund" (literally sportsfriend).

Sportsfreund is better by a large margin if you ask me.

Aussi j'ai l'impression qu'il y a une jalousie sous-jacente des anglophones de Veeky Forums envers le français devant le fait que le français est littérairement supérieur à l'anglais. Alors, comme au fond ils le savent mais ne l'acceptent pas, ils deviennent très acerbes.
On ne peut cependant nier le fait que l'anglais est une langue efficace, facile à apprendre, reine de la concision, sans ambiguïté. Ils auront ça pour eux !

it's FRENCHFAG you imbeciles

France literally has a culture of cuckholdry.

DNA paternity tests are illegal because it might "disturb the peace" if a father found out he was raising another man's brat and sued for divorce.

>55% of French men and 32% of French women had admitted to cheating on their spouse or significant other.

>only 47% of the French see infidelity as "morally unacceptable," according to a Pew Research study

Still though, the French are bros and I want them to unfuck themselves.

ROASTED

>le français est littérairement supérieur à l'anglais
Fucking kek dude.
Let's settle this on this court. Your five vs. my five. Who ya got, frog?

If men are doing more cheating than women i wouldnt use the word cuckoldry

Let's be gender-inclusive and call women cucks too. It's 2016.

I HATE FRANCE

>post states explicitly that the English are mad at us for Napoléon
>"HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU SAY NAPOLÉON DINDU NUFFIN??"

Lrn 2 read little nugga.

Does the concept of "sportsfriend" even exist in your country?

L'anglais a ses mérites propres, notamment l'expressivité des monosyllabes et le rythme qui rend les vers plus évidents et faciles.

En revanche c'est une langue bien ambiguë. Les mots français sont plus précis, et notre grammaire plus exigeante empêche de s'abîmer dans un flou typiquement anglais. Exemple fameux, la Résolution 242 des Nations Unies :

>L'Organisation des Nations unies, après avoir obtenu un cessez-le-feu durable à la Guerre des Six jours en 1967, a adopté la résolution 242, qui requiert :
>selon sa version officielle en français, « retrait des forces armées israéliennes des territoires occupés lors du récent conflit » ;
>selon sa version officielle en anglais, « withdrawal of Israel armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict » ;
>selon ses versions officielles en espagnol, arabe, russe et chinois (autres langues officielles de l'ONU), un texte dont le sens est le même qu'en français.
>L'ONU connaît six langues officielles, mais l'anglais et le français ont une prééminence, à égalité, au sein du Conseil de sécurité. La divergence entre la version en anglais et la version française de la même résolution a conduit à des interprétations incompatibles entre elles. L'application de la résolution dans sa version en français signifierait le retrait d'Israël de la totalité des territoires occupés en 1967. La résolution dans sa version en anglais emploie l'expression « from territories » qui pourrait se traduire soit par « de territoires », soit par « des territoires » ; la première traduction sous-entendrait un retrait d'une partie des territoires seulement.

C'est toute la différence entre une langue précise et savante qui perfectionne le latin (le français), et un tas de grognements inventés par des ivrognes dépressifs (l'anglais).

Why is cuckery bad?

This. You want a place just like tumblr except in agreement with you.

Est-ce que c'est pasta?

évidemment

No they have a culture of adultery, im not convinced there's any cuckery going on until you show me stats on people watching their spouses commit adultery

C'est moi qui l'ai créé (si on peut dire) sur le général /fr/ de /int/ il y a quelques mois.

Maybe he just wants a place where people don't act like autistic retards. This is not /b/. Go read the global rules #3 and #6 of this damned website.

ceci

Those are just city French, my wife's family is from the country area and has done no such thing.

And before you say something about her past, I've been with her since she was 13; no past.

>since she was 13

This is the 3rd fucking time that someone has talked about fucking a 13 year old in lit.

Lolita is a novel and it's not to be taken as your n life. If you fuck little girls shoot yourself.

I posted the pedobear above, but seriously... 13-year-olds are not "little girls".

Pic related, not a 13 years old girl.

That's not the point anyway. That poster was probably around the same age as her at 13.

>fucking
I did no such thing.
I was not.

gamle gosse

>13 year old girls bleed and that basically means that they are women now.

Maybe if it were 200ad

ITS 2016!!!

This is the only thing people can come up with when I mention this.

The translator had the absolutely inspired idea of using "old sport". Cunningly it works in the English tongue just as well as it does in the American.

My bad, you're right man. So, um let me fuckyour daughter when he turns 13.

Oh wait, I don't have to ask your permission, shes an adult woman by then and fully capable of blowing me and my buddies.

Wanting to fucking someone who isnt fully grown is disgusting and literally hang yourself if you do.

What the hell are you smoking?

I'm gonna say it again, fucking a 13 year old is pedophilia. What you want is the child stage with tits, and it's repulsive.

I said I didn't have sex with her.

It is by definition not pedophilia.

On dit "vieille branche"
Laisse moi deviner, le français n'est pas ta langue maternelle et tu ne connais que le français académique? Il n'y a aucune honte à ça, mais ne prétends pas non plus pouvoir guider les gens si tu ne connais pas les expressions idiomatiques qu'on n'apprend pas à l'école.

Definitions.

You're right. It's statutory rape. You probably don't want to hang yourself for thinking 13 year olds are hot but you should

muh nigga
I hated that book though, not sure if it was the translation or the book itself, but it was the most insufferable thing I've ever read

Why?

My girl was/is hot.

>what has been normal since the beginning of times (and still is normal) is "disgusting"
>what has been normal since the beginning of times (and still is normal) is "disgusting"

Non mais... on parle l'expression "old sport" dans Gatsby le Magnifique, qui est littéralement traduite par "cher vieux" dans la version française.

Les devinettes sur ma langue maternelle, on s'en tamponne.

Don't know why it greentexted the same thing twice though

Traduction de merde alors
Je ne lis pas les mème-livres sinon, ni dans leur langue originelle ni des traductions

>gatsby
>meme

jfc you frog

>Je ne lis pas les mème-livres sinon
This is so funny to read in french.
Is /fr/ the only place I can go imageboard wise?

Si tu n'étais pas si borné, tu aurais lu ce classique ("mème-livre", non mais franchement...) et tu saurais que "vieille branche" n'est pas assez distingué pour Gatsby.

There is cable6.net, but it's slow as hell.

No "imageboard culture" in France, it's a thing for Nordic or Anglo autists.

Les doubs ont raison. L'autre type est un connard.

Under the Toubon Law at least 40% of autists have to communicate in French. This has put a damper on the introduction of foreign-language image boards.