Is Cyberpunk a dead sub-genre?

Is Cyberpunk a dead sub-genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1996/07/14/magazine/the-net-is-a-waste-of-time.html
youtu.be/_J4QPz52Sfo?t=4510
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I never read Snowcrash, Ive wanted to but it seems shitty and lame
>look at my samurai sword!
At least Neuromancer and other Cyberpunk stories have some subtlety about their Asian fetish

It's more of a satire of cyberpunk with it's over-the-topness. I mean the main dude's name is Hiro Protagonist.

I never read All Quiet on the Western Front, Ive wanted to but it seems shitty and lame
>look at my dying main characters!
At least A Farewell to Arms and other World War 1 stories have some subtlety about their tragedy fetish

It's definitely not what you seem to think it is. If you read it with the mindset you have now I think you will be genuinely surprised.

Depends on who you ask, and how narrow their definition of "cyberpunk" is.

If it's quasi-political fiction with themes of computers, hackers and the nature of reality, the genre is alive and well. In fact, with the emergence of good VR and augmented reality devices it's only going to get more common as a theme.

The genre didn't die, it just became real

Yeah I suppose youre right. I was under the impression it was meant to be serious I guess. Ok well this makes me more inclined to read it because thats funny
Are you seriously this mad? Get a grip

I hope not, if someone could write a good cyberpunk novel through today's lens it could be extremely resonant with what a lot of people are feeling right now. It would probably sell really well too considering the conversation on AI is really heating up and people are already developing strange philosophies around it.

I'm basically waiting for someone to write the quintessential AI novel...

Yeah basically.

A lot of the less outlandish speculation came true. We have megacorporations and states are becoming more authoritarian. Plus the internet and underground online black markets.

Yes, reality turned out to close to cyber punk.
Giant corporations own the government.
Hackers Like snowden, assange, anonymous, weev, guccifer fuck with the government and corporations.
Cyber punk was obsessed with Japanese culture, but actually it is china that is rising, still east Asian culture taking over.
The only thing missing are sex bots, truly the worst of all cyber punk realities.

When you look back on the golden age of science fiction its almost more like fantasy, optimism made by the moon landing that anything was possible.
With cyberpunk authors started trying to think a bit more realistically on how technology and society might evolve.

The one thing i would say they missed was the mundane reality of advanced technology, like people using social media to post pics of dogs and cats.

It has ridiculous and possibly silly characters in a serious setting, who take the situations they're in seriously. It was not written as a comedy.

thatsthejoke, it's supposed to be over the top

it was written as a comedy you stupid fuck

I'm writing a cyberpunk novel where everything is nationalised, however the government is held by private interests who own said nationalised companies personally. Also stuff about an android civil rights movement after one of them murders a dude and says lmao we can do what we want.

>Also stuff about an android civil rights movement after one of them murders a dude and says lmao we can do what we want.

I suggest you watch an animu called the animatrix

That thing still fucks with me

Humans deserved it

i think the creators of the matrix made a mistake by not making prequels based on the animatrix and making sequels after part 1 when part 1 was a definitive ending that didnt need a sequal

Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution

And the latter part is the upcoming sequel, Mankind Divided

Always found it telling how if you trace genre progenitor William Gibson's career path, his work becomes increasingly grounded in reality.

>Is Cyberpunk a dead sub-genre?

Nope

It just has more and more LOVE

The imagination age...

Some argue it has already started...

>The term imagination age was subsequently popularized in techno-cultural discourse

>cyberpunk was hailed as a radical departure from science-fiction standards and a new manifestation of vitality

>The conceptualization involved in cyberpunk is more of forging ahead, looking at the new global culture

Active Participants in the Imagination Age are becoming cultural ambassadors

>It just has more and more LOVE

...a literature of Nu Media...

woah that's really deep 0_0 *takes a dirty hit of jay*

>The one thing i would say they missed was the mundane reality of advanced technology, like people using social media to post pics of dogs and cats.
nytimes.com/1996/07/14/magazine/the-net-is-a-waste-of-time.html

^_^ thx newfriend

>Active Participants in the Imagination Age

A key concept is that the rise of the immersive virtual reality, the cyberspace or the metaverse will raise the value of imagination work of designers, artists, video makers and actors

...as a foundation of culture and economics

Pretty much. Cyberpunk was the product of anxieties and excitement towards new technology that was being realized. Since we've been in the digital world for quite a while now we can't write from the same perspective of living with out internet/robots, to getting them and seeing how they initially/possibly change the world. Hence why it's mainly an aesthetic that rips off Blade Runner, or they write about surveillance.

The western 50's aesthetic inspired by the atomic age disappeared once it became reality as well. Same thing happened to steampunk.

>The summer solstice comes on June 20, 2016 at 22:34 UTC

...energy that is powerful for love...

you speak like some business manager in charge of social relations with a positive outlook and a dynamic point of view on the world of today! You work at a shitty office in India.

I love Gibson. I've read most of his novels and enjoyed them all. I'm planning on re-reading at least Neuromancer and Pattern Recognition again soon.

When I first got in to the genre a few years ago I found Neuromancer and Snow Crash were both highly recommended as intros to the genre. I'm so glad I went with Neuromancer first because I fucking hated Snow Crash. It's supposed to be funny or satire I guess but it was just dumb. I hate not finishing books and Snow Crash is the only book I haven't finished in like ten years.

I've been getting into cyberpunk lot lately and so far I love everything Gibson I've read. It seems like there's been a surge in anti-Stephenson posting alley but I still plan to read Snow Crash this summer. Any other essential cyberpunk stuff?

People would need to understand the state of AI and how it works first to write about it and when you understand it, suddenly all of those interesting story lines about how it's developing sentience or going to overthrow us or enslave us go out of the window. AI as a realistic element, rather than something to project philosophical issues on, is fucking boring.

Then it failed funny

yes, i fucking hate AI hype, in sci-fi it's sort of acceptable since that is fictional, but when "serious people" like elon musk or stephen hawking go nuts with AI bullshit is retarded...as i shitpost i'm listening to an audiobook of this shit called "Rise Of The Robots" which started as a reasonable review of the problems that automation is causing for the labor market, but then like two thirds of the way through it stopped talking about overly efficient factories and online college classes putting people out of work to full on sci-fi paranoia about sentient AI taking over the world when "the singularity" comes, and I was like wow this started off as what seemed like a serious policy book and ended as a cyberpunk freakout with future hucksters like kurzweil

>the conversation on AI is heating up

it's heating up because all the overvalued startups in the valley need to keep selling a fantasy to investors...john searle ended sentient AI fantasies with the chinese room thing, but greedy investors are always willing to believe a fantasy if it sort of reminds them of something they saw in a movie

That may or may not be true but we are talking about fiction here.

youtu.be/_J4QPz52Sfo?t=4510

Watch this if you wanna get a glimpse into who Neal Stephenson is (timestamp is 1:15:10 if your browser doesn't load it). To me, he's a just an interesting and funny guy with both feet on the ground, and it shows in the book.

fucking top notch book snow crash.

>"didn't anyone tell you im a hacker?". Then he hacks is head off

I wanted to read it but I heard it has cuckholding, so no.

Not him, but it's written as a comedy you stupid fucking autist. Stop being a faggot.

Thats fine.
It does not change the fact that it failed.