/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

What is your favorite sentient non-human being in SFF?

Recommendations
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1nUi3DaWzGI
amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0765353873/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Favorite pulp-scifi? Already read Stainless Steel Rat.

So is ASOIAF actually shit or do I need binge read it for the rest of the day to make a well informed opinion on it myself?

>That's the furries in space meme book?
>The furriness isn't more than a few sentences a few books in, unless there's stuff in Legacy (I'm 4/5, mostly through Homecoming). Butchering is mostly confined to pidgin, but it makes an effectively jarring mask over some mindsets that would feel far less convincingly alien without.

It is shit.

It is good, AGoT is pretty slow and uneventful compared to the rest of the books.

It's not very nice to mislead anons like that.

Go back to your basement shitlord.

Its good.

It's painfully mediocre.

>What is your favorite sentient non-human being in SFF?
The Gentleman with Thistle-down Hair.

>Clarkesworld

These stories are all so incredibly boring. I feel like I'm reading the scifi equivalent of TED talks.

What happened? I remember Clarkesworld used to actually put out some decent scifi/fantasy stuff.

Its a decent Series of books written by a good storyteller but otherwise completely terrible author who has absolutely no Idea where he is going with anything.

If he actually manages to finish the series properly after the seventh book in his trilogy it might be a good series worth your time but right now it really isnt.

It's worth reading for the sole reason that nothing like it exists, and it's probably the most /fun/ series in fantasy.

Is Book of the New Sun any good?

As a kid, I've only read the Harry Potters and Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident and I wanna start reading some fantasy/scifi

No not really.

I actually don't know, I don't read books, but I hear it's a very intelligent series.

Wolfe may be a little much if you are new to the genre. He makes Tolkien look like a breezy read by comparison

Tolkien IS a breezy read.

I'll just read Tolkien then, can't go wrong with that

Tolkien is infamously long-winded and borderline archaic. Him being popular is one thing, being easy to read is another

What book will you start with?

when will you plebs ever learn, dullness is not a replacement for difficulty. a 13 year old can understand his work, he'll just be bored to fucking death.

A 13 year old most likely won't undestand LotR as anything but a plain fantasy adventure and miss on all the religious themes, the parallels to Tolkien's experiences on WWI, the motif with nostalgia and decay, the nods to the much older literature it is based on, etc.

I wasn't.

hobbit-->lotr--->silmarillion plus maybe then unfinished tales and children of turin

Half the anons here don't pick up on those.

I don't know of a single 13 year old who got him, I know I didn't.

Half the anons here are mentally 13.

I think he's very easy to read. Why would anyone consider his works archaic? Do they only write in ebonics and arabic in the UK now? As for being longwinded I think that's a matter of preference, the way he writes is integral to the tone of the story. If you want quick action there is always sword and sorcery stories to read but that's not what Tolkien is about.

Children of Hurin is the shortest or second shortest of the bunch and will give you some background for all the First Age shit referenced in LotR without having to suffer through the Silmarillion. You could try reading it right after The Hobbit

I don't know what you mean by "got" but I know a bunch of children who read and loved Lotr.

>still pretending tolkien was incredibly profound
YA Lit plebs.

>spends chapters establishing that Hobbits are great people but really naive and they take the Rangers' protection for granted
>"The scouring of the Shire came out of nowhere, I'm really glad Jackson cut it"

He's not INCREDIBLY profound, but he isn't vapid either.

That order is good.

>Fiction
>Profound
Pick one.

23 days until the great ordeal

Or 16 since the ebook day is still the 5th

Get Hyped

i'll give you that, he's not vapid, definitely somewhere in the middle of profound and vapid.

>start reading Rendezvous with Rama, currently got to chapter 10
>see last thread that it's basically "Nothing Happens: The Book"
>don't know if i want to keep going

I mean, i'll probably finish it because it's not like listening to it will take me much effort, but i'm kinda baffled, then, that it's supposedly Clarke's best work.

It will be trash.

You don't know if you're enjoying the book? That's weird.

If you only care about the destination and not the journey why not just read a summary and be done with it?

>starship crew slowly get dragged into a bigger and bigger clusterfuck and have to survive and maybe try to achieve something more than just survive, with a good mix of adventure, character exploration, and intrigue/mystery
Is there anything like this in books? The crew of a spaceship has been a staple focus of sci-fi TV more or less from the beginning, but seems like less of a thing in sci-fi lit.

So far, i'm curious as to what is actually inside Rama, and what happened there, but i'm not sure if i would call that "enjoying".
I also went through 2001 and Childhood's End, went it comes to Clarke, but i was left with mixed feelings after both.

It's more along the lines that i want to know if there's a point to everything that's been described so far, or if it's just "Sort-of Slice of Life: Scientists find Alien Spaceship edition.".

That shitty leftist expanse series?

All these flavors, and you gotta be salty

Clarke is a talentless pedophile. No, you'll never find out anything of substance about anything. There is no point, there is no payoff.

>If the main character is female it might be Best Served Cold

That looks like it's it. Thanks!

Clarke's short stories are far superior to his novels.

>starship crew slowly get dragged into a bigger and bigger clusterfuck and have to survive and maybe try to achieve something more than just survive, with a good mix of adventure, character exploration, and intrigue/mystery
I know I keep going on and on about it, but the Chanur series is exactly this.

youtube.com/watch?v=1nUi3DaWzGI

Rate The Sword of Truth series

Fucking kek on that song

W-why would you post that?

Does filk count as Veeky Forums considering it's very much bardic?

Unfortunately it's not quite tonal to the books themselves, but it was faster than trying to find the actual cover.

How's Paul Anderson and his Broken Sword?
Will finish Wizard at Earthsea tomorrow for sure during the trip/waiting the exam, he seems to be well regarded.

So I really liked Mistborn, are there any other fantasy with a female protagonist described as petite looking?

Orphans of Chaos by John C Wright.

What's it about?

Petite 14 year old girls

see

Do epubs of book 2 and 3 exist? Only found 1.

Not bad, some nice Norse mythology stuff. Maybe a bit generic (by his time's standards, that is, there's not much of it published now) but also not long enough for your interest to wear off.

Read that one first.
It's probably on libgen.

I have them, so apparently yes, but I can't recall where I got them.

Checked there, no dice.

Mind uploading? Also if you've read the books, how are they? Are all 3 decent, does it end well?

Sounds like First Law, but not awful judging the wiki.

Buy it poorfag, literally £0.01p on Amazon.

amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0765353873/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Does Jorg stop tone down his pretentious edge inflicted mind at any point in this?

This is odd. All I can find is a pdf of Fugitives I converted with Calibre. It appears to be the official Tor ebook but the pages are shrunk somehow. They're not in my Kindle library so I didn't buy them. I'll run a better search, but I'll warn you I'm not as savvy with uploading as with downloading.

Have you tried Undernet bookz? Instructions are linked in the Veeky Forums sticky..

Casual here, really liked Ready player one. Haven't found anything like it, anyone got some recomendations?

Anyway the stories are nothing special, the kids are just trying to stay one step ahead of cool bad guys and the stakes are raised every time they escape, we learn more about them and the setting every time, and there are some sick battle sequences. I recall the action best out of all of it.

And the series doesn't really end after three. Third book had imo a disappointing ending-ending, though most of the plot threads were already resolved at that point, but Wright hopes to write a fourth book someday.

Look, John, I know you struggle with the temptations of the flesh, and you're trying to be a good Catholic, and I respect that, but ending a trilogy with Amelia being excited cause she thinks she's gonna pork Victor? I mean, if you're going to try to go sexy blow our socks off, make it twisted or make it pure, but that was just boring.

Yeah, check out Orphans of Chaos.

There's a Japanese series that's a lot like it, I think it's called My Pickle or something like that.

How is it if you ignore the politics? I'm a leftist.

Plot sounds intriguing, has 2 sequels, set in a nice envirement. Thanks man, all things I love

Is Orphans Of Chaos our very own Boku no Pico?

Not quite good enough, but it'll do for now.

It's not really a troll so no. The best thing about it is that feminists hate it.

>The best thing about it is that feminists hate it.

Sadly, that alone does not make it a good book.

this

>x hates y, therefore y is good
Grow up alt-right.

I can't hear you over the spanking sound I'm giving this 12 year old little girl who is thoroughly enjoying it!

I think that's supposed to be the point.

Bummer. I haven't really tried the IRC thing before because I always found everything on either libgen, bookzz or my private tracker. I kind of doubt it's on there if it isn't on any of these.

You're kind of making it sound not so good now.. what about the characters and their dialogue? Enjoyable?

The side characters are excellent. The series is basically the orphans going around meeting more interesting people. Dialogue isn't Wright's best.

But don't let me put you off from it. The tension and payoff is very good, consistent all the way through, and I can't stress how good the action is.

Cool, I'll definitely give it a shot myself. Thanks for the info.

Have you red Snow Crash yet?

Don't bother with Armada. Cline apparently decided that the reason people liked RP1 was the nerd references, so he just doubled down on them.

>georgerrmartinwithgiganticmanchild.jpg

Today I finished reading Non-stop by Brian Aldiss, a science fiction book written in 1958 by a British author. I thoroughly enjoyed this, and would recommend it to anybody.

Briefly, it is set in a very large ship which was formerly occupied by colonists who had set out from Earth to another planet. A cataclysm had taken place, and many years later the ship has overgrown with vegetation and several distinct groups of humans occupy different levels of the ship; some of them more primitive than the others.

If you are interested in plants, space, tribal societies, aliens, superstition, and post-apocalyptic fiction then you will like this book. The way it slowly reveals a greater truth of the ship is compelling.

How does it compare to other post-apoc generation ship books like Orphans of the Sky and Hull Zero Three?

I checked armada out, but i didn't speak to me at all, I don't really know about snow crash, I might listen to it as an audio book when i travel or something but I don't think I'd be able to get really in to it

Or Hate Plus.

>further into Red Knight
>captain is fervently against rape
>fiending to hang some people that want to get their dick wet
>it's a not-christian book so there isn't going to be open incest
Whomever said that this book was GRI approved I hope you get raped you fagget. You wasted my time.

why are you such an autist m8

Considering your retardation is a fantastic indication of quality, I will probably read it soon, right after Broken Sword. Or heck, I'll move it up, starting it tomorrow.

Why? Does it have rape scenes or something?

I haven't read those, but in my research I found that Aldiss had written the book as a reply to Heinlein's Orphans. Apparently Aldiss wanted to do the same conceit but with more characterisation.

What I can say is that Non-stop has more characterisation than a lot of sci-fi I have read. Each group has its own ways, and there are sympathetic and non-sympathetic characters, as well as funny ones (particularly the garrulous priest.)

I also hated Hogg and Dhalgren.
Please go read it.
Hell read all the books I disliked:
Anita Blake, James Patterson shit, Later Percy Jackson Books and anything that Rick Riordan puts out now, etc
If you want I can make a detailed list.

Fuckboi