Yale may cave on English poets course after students called it 'too white'

Yale may cave on English poets course after students called it 'too white'

>preponderance of authors like Shakespeare and Chaucer, who “actively harm” them.
>calls for the compulsory course be “decolonized”

foxnews.com/us/2016/06/15/yale-may-cave-on-english-poets-course-after-students-called-it-too-white.html?intcmp=ob_article_sidebar_video&intcmp=obinsite

Looks like /pol/ was always right.

Other urls found in this thread:

english.yale.edu/news/department-news/major-english-poets-makes-news-notes-department-chair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Harold Bloom, one of America’s foremost literary scholars and Sterling Professor of the Humanities at Yale, provided a terse response when asked about the latest student protests to grip the university.
>“I am too weary to comment again on this nonsense,” he wrote in an email to The Daily Beast.

I'm glad Bloom won't have to live long to suffer this shit anymore.

>foxnews
no

how many undergrads have those veiny old hands groped

>“it is unacceptable that a Yale student considering studying English literature might read only white male authors”.
>only
looks like they want exclusion not saying no dante ever, try reading comprehension

Yale students - some of the smartest people in the world

/pol/ - NEETs who photoshop Trump hats onto cartoon characters

hmmm... who should i trust?

Found the SJW.

The answer may surprise you!

My dad tried to give me chaucer and shakespeare and I literally burnt them on fathers day, old british white men don't understand that their racist nonsense they read isn't going to give us anything in a progressive diverse world.

Personally I'm just waiting for the armageddon and all these males get their worlds rocked.

no need to be bum blistered. im sure you'll find a great job with your state school degree.

Neither!

“a year spent around a seminar table where the literary contributions of women, people of colour, and queer folk are absent actively harms all students, regardless of their identity”
>queer folk
hm not sure you've read your reading list petition writers

“Geoffrey Chaucer, Edmund Spenser, William Shakespeare, and John Donne in the fall; John Milton, Alexander Pope, William Wordsworth, and TS Eliot or another modern poet in the spring”

>160 signatories
who cares then either way, why care about anything only 160 college students care about

>he wrote in an email

top kek

He got his wife to type the email. He refuses to learn to use computers. Claims he can't even use the Yale library system and gets an assistant to do that.

A prof who studied under him told me he still writes with a fountain pen.

>he isn't NEET

>how many undergrads have those veiny old hands groped
That's a mental image I didn't need.

The ideal of a purely positive critique—that is, a critique which remains at the hypothetical level of the normative, somehow arguing for the way things ought to be without even passing reference to the way they are now—is an absolute ideological mirage. It would behoove the Utopian aspirants of the so-called social justice set to realize that criticism gains its most forceful, and effective, rhetoric in the form of the polemic, in the planting of critical depth-charges in between the lines of the allegedly hegemonic text, rather than in the celebratory, positivistic recounting of the aesthetic glories of subaltern arts and literature, about which no one but the subaltern could, without the essentially violent gesture of negative critique of hegemonic culture, ever really be persuaded to care. I therefore propose, perhaps paradoxically, that we keep the English Poets course, and perhaps, if possible, that we "white-wash" it even more dramatically—by engaging the literature these students claim (a priori, mind you) to hate, they might sharpen their critical skills and enrich the discourse surrounding social justice, which is at present a sorry excuse for cultural work.

Found the SJW.

*INCLUSION I meant
b8 but it does make me sad how many people are going to read the wrong people online and think that it's bad to read or like white male writers, like people who take be more inclusive and less narrow to mean Shakespeare is Privileged Garbage *21st century lense on all of history*

But people were white back then.

english.yale.edu/news/department-news/major-english-poets-makes-news-notes-department-chair

No, they're not, FOX is just clickbaiting

Found the SJW.

you spelled daily beast wrong

Isn't this sexist and racist to exclude white men just because they're the majority?

What's the argument for reading diverse peoples rather than the best and most influential? It makes more sense to me reading the canon books over choosing contemporaries because they have darker skin.

>canons are made by sexist people too blah blah

Hitler and the majority of the upper echelons of the Nazi party were extremely intelligent.

Intelligence != good ideas

>o exclude white men just because they're the majority?

Are they? You're studying English literature. Surprise, 95% of the authors have English heritage!

I hate the white devil as much as the next guy, which I why I majored in Italian lit with a minor in Russian studies.

he surely hates those dark satanic mills

sexism and racism is descrimination + power and white men have all the power so it's impossible to be racist and sexist to them.

Did Hitler go to Yale. Hell, even Cornell?

He couldn't have been that smart.

Lol you silly little rape mongerer, bloomy's like a giant jewish buddha. you deserve a frail backhand for your disrespect.

lol don't you know Bloom's affairs with his students was one of the things that made him famous back then?

I dunno why it happened. I guess being that well read really is sexy.

>Looks like /pol/ was always right.
Le...

sexism and racism are manifested forms of differing modes of social organization (patriarchy and white supremacy)

>I guess being that well read really is sexy.
It couldn'tmpossiblt have been gradewhoring.

>couldn'tmpossiblt
Fuck phoneposting.

professors can literally get as many girls as they want, they just have to lack morals. nobody's going to be finding him "sexy" outside of that specific context

What the Fuck is wrong with fountain pens? Yes they are archaic but they allow for a different level of penmanship and are fun to maintain.

>are fun to maintain

You don't like expensive inks on your hands and the ritual of cleaning/changing ink that causes said ink on one's hands?

This is now a Harold Bloom sexual fantasy thread.

>oh bill, deeper deeper, wreck my rectum, I've read the roman poems, I know how real poets take what is theirs

Why is it that I do a Google search on 'Yale,' literally the only article I see saying this is a Fox News article from four days ago?

I'm not saying I don't trust Fox--or, yes, I am saying that. Can I get another source?

but harold...my le...

>not saying no dante ever
>italians
>white

I do not.

MMMMYESSSS QUITE

>Yale students - some of the smartest people in the world
i think you misspelled richest

This

Going to some expensive anglo school tells me literally nothing about you.

This is bait, but I am still going to comment. If you pay mad mounds of moolah you can get into the ivory tower. SJWs tend to be bourgeoisie af. Mummy and daddy are paying for it. The money keeps big colleges afloat. Truly, money shapes the curriculum. If the staff did not comply then they would lose money.

it was bait, but dont act like they arent smart. with the exception of legacies, minorities, and athletes, most of these kids have near perfect SATs

Hi, this is your friendly reminder that all news sources have become ad-driven hype machines.

Here is a post by the chair of the English department at Yale, effectively neutering this story: english.yale.edu/news/department-news/major-english-poets-makes-news-notes-department-chair

TL;DR: The "petition" amounted to an anonymous google doc that was never presented to English Department faculty, and Yale is only considering the quality of its courses as it does every year.

ok, but college is still a marxist brainwashing machine, right?

Not in the US. I hardly learned a thing about Marx in college. Most of my professors were what I would call classical liberals. There were many more students who sympathized with Marx than there were professors.

get that inferiority complex checked out

>people who see no value in studying english literature mad when people change what is studied in english literature
???????????????

>sexism: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
>racism: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior:
BUT FACEBOOK SAID

if you want

>implying i didnt have a near perfect sat and go to a top school

why else would i be defending them?

It disrupts the hedgemony so it rustles everyone's buns

Really there should be a bit more lovin' served to other groups when possible, but in say Early British Literature, you can't avoid the fact that it's alllll white dudes. That's just the foundation of things.

They just don't, it's so sucking lazy and easy to say that but if you try and look into it you'll relaize your wrong. you are such a fucking cunt for saying that

>hedgemony

trim the hedgemonies

Gramsci has been misunderstood all this time.