Someone is selling me their copy of the Romance of Three Kingdoms...

Someone is selling me their copy of the Romance of Three Kingdoms, is pic related the correct version to buy or is there a better version out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

abebooks.com/9787119024080/Three-Kingdoms-Library-Chinese-Classics-7119024086/plp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shan_shui
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia#Evolving_interpretations_of_the_term_.22jianghu.22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's the best one in english yes.

I heard there was a 5 volume set that's really expensive, is that worth investing in or is the 4 volume set fine for the average reader?

not familiar but this one is more than sufficient for the typical english reader. there's also a recent one from Tuttle that i heard was good.

as far as i know all other translations are either incomplete or old and superseded by this one.

That's the same set I've got. As far as I know the Moss Roberts version (it) is generally accepted as the the best translation of the Three Kingdoms. (Which is why I got it.)

I'd suggest maybe printing out a somewhat detailed map of Han-period China if you find following the locations confusing, it helped me a fair amount.

Tuttle has better packaging (the one in OP's pic is decent, but still a casualty of the 90s).

Look for the white/orange, Folio Society (teal binding), Waterfall, or Mountains editions, they look less tacky.

that one's fine...
it's better for free on the library of the first book of the bible if u know what I mean. The same translation is there.

Is it any good?

How much?

Foreign Language Press outlaws of the marsh is fucking great, and pic related has the horrible brewitt taylor translation (Tsao-Tsao), so yeah that is the version I would go with.

Absolutely. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms is one of the four great Chinese classical novels.

If political games/intrigue coupled with superhuman warriors are your kind of thing, sure.

>want to get the foreign press version of journey to the west
>cant find it anywhere

fuck my life

It's on Amazon bro.

I don't live in america, so is out of the question.

are you implying amazon only delivers in america or

that's retarded

no, more like i will get raped by shipping fees, there is an amazon page for my country but is none of the foreign press books are available.

>Folio Society
>looks less tacks

WEW LAD

I have this version coming in the mail by the end of the week. It's the hardcover version of the unabridged Moss Roberts translation and has the full Chinese text included on the opposite page from the English.

I managed to get it for next to nothing, don't believe the prices you see on amazon and abebooks.

I'll let you know the quality when I get it.

abebooks.com/9787119024080/Three-Kingdoms-Library-Chinese-Classics-7119024086/plp

Don't get any version which is abridged. No point in it.

Fuck off senpai

In this case the Folio Edition is more minimal than gaudy. Hardly as tacky as those tryhard editions of classic Western works.

That looks great, but what do waterfalls have to do with Three Kingdoms?

No idea. I have not read the books yet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shan_shui

shanshui is often a proxy for "the world," similar to "rivers and lakes" in martial arts/wuxia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia#Evolving_interpretations_of_the_term_.22jianghu.22

chinese literature/art/poetry/etc. is very much concerned with humans affairs as inextricably linked to the natural world.

Many thanks! I've been raised in a sterile environment, so despite my love of nature, the significance of the natural world eluded me this once. That and Chinese culture itself.

from what i've read, they are printed in china. most books i have made in china are awful quality and fall apart, even hardcovers. i'd appreciate an update when you do get them. thanks.