Is this our new god Veeky Forums?

Is this our new god Veeky Forums?

Sam Harris is no doubt the greatest thinker of our time

- Proved free will doesn't exist
- Proved that morality is determined by the scientific method (BTFO Hume)
- BTFO'd Noam "Khmer Rouge dindu nuffin" Chomsky
- Will lead the new LOGOS VULT crusade of secularists, purging the islamic plague from this planet

So? We should kill ourselves now?

He has his ups and downs, but all in all I like him. He's intelligent and touches on interesting topics, talks about stuff people generally tend to shy away from (leading a lot of people to hate him).

A god of poop maybe

no
dumb person

thread hidden

Scatology is a legitimate science, m8.

aaah yes.. the ultimate meme.

simply because your simple mind can't think of a rebuttal to his logic doesn't mean he's a god. Is he good? of course, but by no means a god. Remember to think for yourself next time.

I keep thinking this is the guy who wrote the Hannibal books. Also, he has a stupid smug face.

>Veeky Forums - Literature

ur dumb

Free will is the one thing he's wrong about

Might actually be my least favorite person on earth

Free will is the one thing he's right about

Nope. Free will exists.

Ok you've convinced me
I am now a #DennettPlanet

Ew no. He needs to read some Kierkegaard.

free will exists because materialism is false, which the mind and its immateriality itself proves.

there's a classical argument from aristotle that really cements this. it follows from the fact that objects and therefore matter cannot contain concepts (universals). then where are they contained? easy, in the mind. therefore the mind is immaterial because again matter cannot contain universals.

Dan Dennett's also wrong about free will. Compatibilism is bullshit.

It should be someone who's actually on Veeky Forums. I vote for gaskun. He gives away free books and he's not a stuck up asshole.

Concepts and universals aren't the same thing. A concept is like a picture taken by the intellect of a universal, or of something that appears universal. Matter cannot contain universals because it goes the other way around. They wouldn't be universals if they existed in something else, because then they would be finite.

he's a fucking idiot

I've spoken to several academics who told me privately they prefer the Harris school of thought to Zizek's. Of course, many are too intimidated by the leftist academic mafia to publicly admit this. Such is life.

more entertaining than krause but less so than dawkins and the other guy

No, I am your new god

Why is Sam Harris a stuck up asshole? He's good at speaking and he seems generally down to earth as evidenced by his times visiting the Joe Rogan Experience.

Gtfo tripfag desu

He's extremely ignorant on political issues but I still enjoy his commentaries because he covers subjects that interest me -- consciousness, Eastern philosophy, religion, etc. -- in a clear and thoughtful manner, and he has some really interesting guests on his podcasts. I particularly like Paul Bloom's work on empathy.

lol. can't tell what kind of bait this is