Math Jobs

Any math majors here? What kind of jobs can I expect if I graduate in math? Convince me why I should go for comp sci instead.

Other urls found in this thread:

static2.businessinsider.com/image/53bec9036bb3f7d902e31145-979-788/census stem charts math.png
kent.ac.uk/careers/pics/mathematics-careers.jpg
kent.ac.uk/careers/Maths.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Learn to read first.

>Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.
>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.
>If you want help with your homework, go to /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests.

Not him, but I'm pretty sure your average Veeky Forums poster is more likely to give relevant advices when it comes to science-related studies than a /wsr/ one.

Double major in math and CS, then get your 6 figures starting.

average Veeky Forums poster is OP, we don't know dick except how we got where we are. his university has superior resources.

This is wisdom.

It's a completely outdated sticky anyway. If mods wanted to actually keep irrelevant shit out, maybe they would curb /r9k/, /pol/ and /x/ shitposting instead of the extremely widespread career and university threads which can actually be useful towards people.

Not a math major, but I can tell you from what my acquaintances that the vast majority math majors at my school ended up working for some soul-sucking finance shit that makes code-monkeying look like an intellectual pursuit. The few that succeeded went into grad school for research. If you want to become a math major (or any pure science major since we're on the topic) you should be aiming for grad school research. If it's jobs you want, do CS or engineering.

education, actuarial science, statistician (for stat majors/minors?), programming (especially with a large background in CS) seem to be your options

math degrees usually leave room for electives. Giving yourself a second degree/minor can help you towards getting a math related career.

It's not a fantastic degree for finding work, it's not terrible either.

Additionally, higher level CS can be viewed as applications of mathematics. I wish I took more CS, as I didn't realize what CS is. Data structures can be seen as graph theory, for example. Algorithms can also be interesting.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stay away from math

good riddance, brainlet

This, seriously.
This is my dream double major but I'm just so fucking bad at math.

The average Sci poster is still in university, be it undergraduate or graduate. Your school literally has an office of career placement and advice. Advisors are literally trained and paid to hold your hand in career placement.

I went and they told me to talk to someone in the industry. Might as well start talking to professors

When they told you that most math majors end at finance it is a lie. It is also a lie that the guys who do end up there want to kill themselves. When you are a math major any job you get is a choice because there are so many fields that will hire math majors so you always choose where you end up. The math majors who applied for finance jobs clearly wanted to do it, if not then they would have gone somewhere else, and there are plenty of places to go.

That said, from how easy your opinion was persuaded you probably don't really care about math so you should still go to CS or whatever.

Damn I need to talk to a counselor. I have no idea what I'm doing

I'm eligible to get my associate's degree at my local community college. Should I bother signing the papers to get it? I'm already transferring to a university for a bachelors in CompE.

If you are very good at statistical analysis, then as an actuary, you can make a fortune.

How much clearer can I be?

I got mine and got fucked by financial aid.

If you are financial aid dependent, stay away from it.

Fucking GPA 3.7 towards mechanical engineering and not one scholarship or grant or loan for summer.

This literally makes no sense. If you already got a degree and were able to get through university education then you have higher odds of using the grants well and making something out of it, unlike some moron just out of HS who, for all we know, flunk calculus one and waste it entirely.

So it is true that scholarships are actively looking for the most retarded people Well, I suppose getting a tattoo of a cock on your forehead would help you land that sweet money.

Basically anything. You won't do anything in mathematics unless you get a graduate degree in mathematics. Instead, focus on selling yourself to employers for your transferable skills (problem solving, quantitative skills, analytical skills, etc.). Because mathematics does a really good job of teaching you these skills, you can get into pretty much any field with a degree in mathematics. Ideally, learn a bit about some other topic that interests you (I did finance and now work in investment banking) and learn as much as you can through being involved in groups and taking classes. If nothing else it sets you apart. Also, at my school mathematics majors had the most success in being admitted to law school (honestly, just don't major in poly sci or english, lol).

Yes, my gpa is 3.7
I got my Associates degree in winter of 2015

I qualified for 3 scholarships, which refused to pay out because I was a degree holder. I was refused by the department of education for a Pell grant and loans for summer term.

I had to pay $1100 for my 3 summer classes out of pocket.

All because I earned a degree.

Not sure if just messing with me or serious, but I better not get that degree just in case. It's an associate's in Math, so I won't need it anyway.

If you're not interested in research, then Math with computer science/finance or a statistics/actuary route is the way to go. Don't mistake Statistics. Probability theory and Time Series Analysis for example become sophisticated Mathematics at a higher level.

Don't get it unless your institution advises you to.

>that's a lie
Does anyone have something backing this up?

There was a graph that broke down where math majors ended up as their career. From what I can recall it said that 40% of math majors ended in finance, 40% in education and 20% in software. I am rounding those up because there were like 15 other fields that had like 0.45% and 2% scores.

Unfortunately I cannot find that graph so the best I can give you is this
>
static2.businessinsider.com/image/53bec9036bb3f7d902e31145-979-788/census stem charts math.png

Obviously, the flaw is that it is grouping 3 majors as mathematics and that makes it hard to assume anything from this graph.

If anyone knows which graph I was talking about and has it or knows where it is please post it so I can save it this time.

Okay. I found something similar. This Kent university apparetly is not shit and keeps good statistics.

kent.ac.uk/careers/pics/mathematics-careers.jpg

Entire page: kent.ac.uk/careers/Maths.htm

Removing the PhDs and MSc people, and also those who were listed as not available and still seeking, to get good a image of where do math BSc end:

60% turns into 100% so.recalculating:

Teacher training: 15%
Teachers: 18.33%
Finance: 33.33%
Computing: 16.67%
Statistics: 5%
Non-math fields (failures in life): 11.67%

So indeed, finance takes one of the bigger chunks of mathematics graduates but it is only 33.33%, one third of the people. Two thirds end up somewhere else.

And in the bigger picture, finance only takes 20% of the people, but I think it is unfair to compare bachelors with masters and doctors when it comes to careers and that is why I adjusted the percentages.

> Data structures can be seen as graph theory, for example. Algorithms can also be interesting.

What are some great books for someone in the computer science field looking to learn about graph theory?

or type theory, for that matter.