East Asian Literature

What are some of the greatest works to come out of the east?

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is probably the greatest historical piece of fiction ever.

"Imma Eat That Booty Like Fried Rice" by Ching Chang Ping Pong

>not reading this on Midsummers day

All qt Asian girls should date white guys. Asian ""men"" like Tao Lin are pathetic.

What is the book always posted on Veeky Forums with a japanese guy in tighty whities on the cover poised for action?

The highest Chinese literary art was poetry, but it's not really translatable.

Lu Xun and Eileen Chang's short stories
Fortress Besieged

white guys who fuck asians are beta as shit, thank god i grew a pair of balls before i ended up married to one of those mongs...one day i woke up and realized i have a fucking huge dick and should be fucking chicks with big beautiful eyes not little squinty slits, and just like that my yellow fever was cured

Nobody said marriage m8. Asian chicks are only good until around age 20. After that they're somebody else's problem tier

anything murakami

Kind of like white losers talking themselves up on a Ukrainian Coat Weaving Image Board.

the four great classical novels, genji monogatari are the most significant works from china and japan respectively. i think japan has better modern literature, but that might just be because i havent read the right chinese literature.

Tu Fu, Chuang Zhu, Natsume Soseki, Yasushi Inoue, K'ung Shang-jen, Eileen Chang, Qiu Miaojin.

you are the first person on Veeky Forums i've seen mention inoue besides myself

This is the strangest mishmash of namedropping I've ever seen on this board. Are you exclusively using NYRB to tell you what to read?

>Are you exclusively using NYRB to tell you what to read?
Well, NYRB is what introduced me to those authors.

Forgot to mention: Liu E, Yoshida Kenko, Kamo no Chomei, Murasaki Shikibu, Sei Shonagon, Ki no Tsurayuki, Sugawara no Michizane.

There you go, that's more along the lines of a great works list.

Anyway OP, you can use Wikipedia just as well as the rest of Veeky Forums.

>Are you exclusively using NYRB to tell you what to read?

desu there are far worse ways to go about it

I like to have the foreign works that NYRB publishes, they're usually high quality. The other authors I listed are from anthologies I own. My recommendation is to look at what people put in anthologies for what's "canon" and NYRB is good for the lesser known classics and contemporaries.

patrician

>samefagging to call yourself patrician

put your name bck on faggot so i can filter your shit

>that bulge

ew

Future cuckoldry runs rich in you, fortunes unwell.

Montes pubis are the best part of a woman, user.

You're a shit eating prick but I agree

I read the Counterfeiter a while ago.

Other than her loving heart, yes.

I like Japanese Veeky Forums a lot but so much of it hasn't been translated. I think my favourite book from Japan and thus East Asia in general is Almost Transparent Blue by Ryu Murakami. I don't know if that's a pleb choice.

Soul Mountain. Definitely the work that caps off Gao's nobel prize winning bibliography.

go suck the scum out your mother's cunt

>tfw no azn gf to read the stories of her people to me

I'm trying to read Mo Yan but I don't like it bruh.

I have enjoyed the Japanese authors I have read so far. I feel like they make their art with no pretense. I guess they have nothing to lose by telling the truth and nothing to gain by posturing. They often go 'too far' but not for shock value. These extremes are the hidden limits that every human being reaches at points in their lives and I am glad the Japanese are willing to face these moments without humiliation or chest pounding.

I read Soul Mountain, on a rec from a thread earlier this year. The technique of splitting the narrator's ego into distinct pronoun aspects was intriguing, but--and this is dubiously a fault of the meticulously supervised translation--the theme of identity, and more broadly Gao's philosophical underpinnings, fell flat.

For someone described as avant garde, Gao writes quite mundane fabulations. His writing does tread the boundaries of reality and illusion, but he performs this tepidly. When he broaches topics like bronze age Chinese myth, Taoist thinking, melancholic feminine perspectives, ancient constellations, etc, he glosses over them without providing authoritative lateral insight, or vigorous experimentation. And each of those themes house a vast resource that could be adapted to literature, but the author distilled them too thinly. Maybe his intent was to be subtle, or something was lost in translation, but my impression is that writers like Borges and Beckett do more for similar themes, and within well below 500 pages.

His other works beyond Soul Mountain are even more humdrum. There is much disingenuity in Gao, and for someone who's cheated death, and boasted about living three lives, his sum total falls short of one truly great life.

I do wish that China produces boundary pushing literature, supposedly after broader repression eases, but as of now, I'm not aware of any modern Chinese literature that can be ranked as a great work.

>I'm not aware of any modern Chinese literature that can be ranked as a great work.

Also, I'd be grateful to be proven wrong.

Basho desu

I had an azn qt who made me read Beckett to her in my best approximation of an irish accent. I sucked at it, but she gave me her rice cooker.

Can Xue? I haven't read her, but she's heavily influenced by Borges, so I hear.

No thanks.

>i haven't read her

so why the fuck are you commenting

Because you're a pseud need to fuck off

At least I don't pretend to read things I haven't faggot

why do you think your post matters at all if you haven't read her

you are the literal definition of pseud. "hey lemme name drop some shit I haven't read. who the fuck cares if it's completely meaningless lol!"

Because she's memed as a significant modern Chinese writer, but apparently doesn't get mentioned enough.

You're a pseud because you do similar shitposts unapologetically.

>projecting this hard
go back to reading ij Mr reddit

>Doesnt read
>Calls other people pseuds

wew lad

And you weren't projecting? Stupid fucking pseud. Even Reddit's too good for trash like you.

You don't read either pseud

is this autism?

You're following my posts, so you would know.

>t. cuck blueballed by qt azn grill

>tfw no qt azn to read Hegel to.

>tfw no azn gf who quietly reads her own book beside me while I read mine; whose hair I can touch inbetween chapters and whose hand she would let me hold

I aishiteru my nadeshikos and danderes desu senpai

duffel coats are cute. All girls should wear duffel coats.

Am I missing something with Mishima? Read sailor who fell from grace and halfway through Temple. The premises of each are interesting but the writing is so lacklustre and over dramatic. "My father -- the shame!" Etc. Is there something significant being lost in the translation? Or did I get memed?

there is always something significant lost in translation, my friend.

Agreed but in many cases you can still appreciate a translated work.

no, he's a meme. this is just a weeaboo board fundamentally/

>read jin yong

never again

truly said. I am of the same opinion