Rejection thread!!

Rejection thread!!

How many of the works has been rejected?
Still sending it out?

Don't be shy Veeky Forums - knowing exactly where the works doesn't belong is part of the process.

I have never been rejected.

>How many of the works has been rejected?

I don't like to talk about it.

is it because you've never sent the works out?

I have around 15 rejections thus far.

It starts getting worse when you get in the triple digits, trust me.

Around 9 or 10 different things from 30 or so places.

I have 1000+ rejections.

I don't doubt it, question though - within those trips - any accepted?

Yeah, a few

I'll be there soon enough. Give me some time.

I haven't kept very close track. It must be in the 30-50 range over the years. I don't submit as much now.

Phew! any light at the end of the tunnel?
How long have you been writing for?

This.

This just doesn't seem possible, even the best of us get rejected every now and then.

I'm guessing you just don't submit at all?

When I first started submitting, it was 2011 and wrote abunch of short stories that I believed (at the time) were the next best thing since J.G. Ballard, after those rejections, I waited up until now to start sending again.

I've recently been accepted, which is great, just wanna keep building steam.

any links?

So do you guys submit something, wait the three or so months it usually takes for a response (if you get one at all), and then resubmit? Or do you submit to multiple places at once?

It's practically impossible to get accepted anywhere without simultaneously submitting to as many places as you can at once. The process is largely a numbers game.

>submitting to publishers

Why would you want these clowns to handle your work? Everything they put out is shit.

Unless your work is shit, that is. Then I imagine they'd be great for connecting you with your audience.

It's about the $ mang

I only ask because I often see publishers/literary magazines saying they don't accept submissions that are currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. But it's not like they would know anyways

I write short stories. I've written about 60 since I started seriously trying. I'd say maybe half of these are good enough to see the light of day in one form or another and 10% of them have.
It can be disheartening, but then Raymond Carver published 75 short stories over his lifetime writing period of 20 years, so that's roughly 4 per year, which isn't much when you think about it.
I play the game, but I don't know what would happen if I didn't.

Should have asked what type of work you were submitting.

As for me, I haven't been rejected yet since I'm still working on my fantasy novel.

i've been rejected hundreds of times for my short stories. been accepted a few times to balance those out.

trunked novel #1 after about 30 rejections from agents.
novel #2 has about 30 rejections. most of the time the agents don't actually reply, which is worse than a form reject.

i'll keep plugging along because what the fuck else am i going to do?

....what's the alternative? tumblr?

>How many of the works has been rejected?

four or five in the past two years

>Still sending it out?

no, but i got a very encouraging, non-form rejection so i'm holding on to that while i get better.

>next Ballard

You sound like a refreshing wannabe! How are you stories Ballardrian? Or are they dystopic commentary?

>they don't accept submissions that are currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.

I either skip these publications or submit (simultaneously) to them anyways. Like you said, how are they going to know? The chances of publication are small, so the chances of multiple places accepting a work at once is not likely to happen. Why do publications bother saying that, I wonder?

Try to get some small work published so that when you start sending queuery letters for your novel, you can say you've got something out there. Good luck with the novel, too.

70 submissions, 2 publications

He's obviously a self publisher shill, even though going that route is universally accepted as being reputation suicide.