QTDDTOT

questions that don't deserve their own thread

has anyone read this?
the english dept. at my university is giving copies out for free and I'm thinking about grabbing one tomorrow

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lE3O_YaI3gQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's pretty good

Eh. Some okay jokes. Some TV drama style sentiment. Goes down quick and easy

>woman author

no idea, still boycotting women writers.
It's over two years now. I keep waiting to miss them, but it hasn't happened yet.

so impressive! what bravery!

good introduction to Nietzsches philosophy?

jealous!

>what bravery!

Nah, not really. There's thousands of years of male written lit. I only read between twenty and thirty books per year. There's plenty of quality literature written by men. More than I could ever hope to exhaust. Women writers aren't necessary at all. You can be very happy while completely ignoring their existence.

"Women" is a noun, Anonymous. The word you're looking for is "female". Hope this helps.

>boycotting women writers
>being this much of a bitter, brainwashed /r9k/ fag

You're only depriving yourself of a ton of great books. Unless you're trolling, in which case well done.

you realize the only reason people post their bait opinions, whether they are sincerely held or not, is to get you to reply, correct? don't shit up the board by giving in.

>You're only depriving yourself of a ton of great books.

You're not getting it. No I'm not. I'm still reading a ton of great books. There's more great books by men than I could ever hope to read. Women writers are disposable. You can exclude them and still be happy.

Read it a couple months ago. Kinda sad. Made me want to die young.

What version of A Streetcar Named Desire and Long Day's Journey into Night is the best?

>a ton of great books
Good lord! How can one live without reading Harry Potter?

>What version of A Streetcar Named Desire and Long Day's Journey into Night is the best?
Streetcar - Brando
Long Day's Journey - Hepburn/Richardson/Robards

that was sarcasm moron

Can you grab me one and mail me it? I'll cover postage.

Do you need kids for The Road to have a profound impact?

>that was sarcasm moron

it was dumb sarcasm though. If I had been making claims about bravery sarcasm about bravery would have been on point. I made no such claims, so the sarcasm seemed misdirected and pointless.

But fortunately, I took the time to respond to your post and further clarify my point - that not reading women is easy, enjoyable and not even remotely harmful. So your post wasn't a complete waste of everybody's time (including your own)

How do I write dialogue that doesn't sound like YA fiction or sitcom dialogue without making my characters seem like stilted, apathetic goons? I genuinely can't figure this out.

You don't need kids to feel something, but "profound impact" might be overselling it.

I read it about 4 years ago, but I remember being really taken by a few sections in particular.

I have a bunch of questions.

Which translation of confucius' annalects should I get?

Which is the best translation of Romance of the three kingdoms?

Is Michel Houellebecq's essay on Lovecraft worth reading?

Deleuze's exegesis of Nietzsche is p good actually

>not reading women is easy
wow, not doing something is easy?

dipshit.

My little sister's birthday is coming up. I'd like to buy her a good romance novel from this century, but I'm not sure what's a good pick. I bought her My Brilliant Friend last year (she loved it), and Perks of Being a Wallflower two years ago (she hated it). If it helps, her favorite film is Before Sunset; she loves watching people casually conversing. I hope there's a book akin to that. Help me, mates?

was Hamlet insane?

does it even matter?

It's alright. Some fun prose experimentation. A lot of typical trash about how being punk rock is authentic and growing up is selling out maaaaan. The last chapter is the shittiest dystopia ever written. I read it once, but I don't plan to ever read it again.

"Forbidden" by Tabitha Suzuma

The Paris Wife by Paula McClain because she likes Before Sunset.

this is my first post on lit, I just finished watchmen and before watchmen, never realized how fun graphic novels are what are some must read graphic novels thinking of picking up suicide squad

I think he might have been somewhat unstable before the events of the play. Seeing his dad's ghost didn't make him actually insane but pushed him towards behaving insanely, which created a self-fulfilling cycle, so by the end of the play, for all intents and purposes, he was insane, either self-consciously or not.

I think would be a more helpful board, the only graphic novel Veeky Forums seems to like is Blankets. Also we hate capeshit here.

what does "t. " mean
t. newfag

redundant /pol/tard meme. it means something akin to 'signed by'

Is this sample long enough to get a glimpse of my writing style/ability? If so, how is it? There is no critique thread, and it's not really long enough for those threads.

Occasionally, a point in life is met where alarms are no longer set, and the utility of a rigid sleep schedule is only appreciated as an abstraction. This was the case for ------, who would spend his mornings, and often a large part of his day, laying still in his hammock. He slept capriciously, taking to bed at any late hour, but his waking life, on the other hand, was much more predictable. Having been out of work and education for some time now, and consequently developing severe agoraphobia, -----’s waking hours were mostly spent in a state of solitary recumbence. He liked to call himself a reader, an erudite autodidact in multiple fields, but truthfully he spent most of his time in an idling reverie, or playing videogames. Though on occasion he would, impetuously, peruse a new hobby, only to leave its accouterments, shortly thereafter, in some lost corner of his room.

>depriving yourself of Didion and O' Connor for a spook

Back to >>>/reddit/ newfriend

Best translation for The Divine Comedy?

CW course and the final requirement is a short story about middle school and then we drew lots for themes, I got "crime fiction".

Can anyone spoonfeed me a good justification why a middle school would have its own courts? I have most of the story done but I still don't have the backstory for that one.

Hall monitors are cops. Who do they report to?

That sounds like it has the potential to be really funny.

sperg kid reees out over all the grils liking the Chad kid
Punishment is forever alone

I already have the main "case" and how the system works, but I'm struggling with making a backstory why a school would overcomplicate the system to the point where they hold trials and shit.

It was fine for me up until after "erudite autodidact," I thought you were being ironically purple with that phrase (I chuckled) but you continue to do so afterwards. Also too many unnecessary commas.

It's a short story, don't worry about making a backstory about middle school. Watch Recess or any cartoon about kids at school if you need inspiration.

Yeah I guess you're right. Suspension of disbelief should just apply here. Danke user

>what is a noun adjunct

any good books that delve into the deep concept of "hate"? hate of oneself, hate of man, hate of art, etc..

political, philosophical, theological i dont really care.

Define "Good" and "Bad" writing.

Easy. It's an object lesson that went too far.

It's like...the literary equivalent of Boardwalk Empire, it's pretty fun but at the end of the day you know it's just not that great.

any recommendations for a good note taking app for android? want one that'll let me transfer the notes to my computer

Yes the erudite part was intentional, I.e. how he would describe himself to seem intellectual. I suppose I did get a little unintentionally purple afterwards though. Thanks for your input

Can you grab one for me and drive to my house and put it in my mailbox?

I use google keep

What are the similarities and differences between Nietzsche's Übermensch and the Randian hero?

there's a reason they're giving it away for free, user.

It's alright. Better than I expected. Not nearly as good as the friend who gave it to me thought.

Just read the Safari chapter and check out the powerpoint chapter and maybe the DFW parody chapter, if you're into that (although it falls a bit short). There are some very good parts, but overall the book is essentially a plodding melodrama written just barely well enough.

Anywhere to get Philip Mainlander in English?

>DFW parody chapter
Come again?

Nope, doesn't exist in translation. If this problem persists after I finish my PhD, I'll do it myself. It's a great shame.

There's a chapter (#9) that's framed as an article by a creepy autist journalist character. The style is obviously meant to ape David Foster Wallace (note the excessive, although in this case pointless, use of footnotes), but, as I said, it falls short.

Could you break down his ideas for me?

Does anyone know where I can download quality audiobooks of Shakespeare plays for free?

Google it, dude. There are lots of breakdowns on the web. He's particularly popular among the antinatalist crowd that revolves around Thomas Ligotti and Friends.

What is the term in philosophy/rhetoric/logic that means a truth that is self-evident and doesn't need substantiation?

Easy read, but a pretty good one. I would pick it up and give it a read, if it's not your thing, you didn't have to pay for it

I'd recommend avoiding audiobooks of plays

Answer me you bastards. I get two hours of internet at the library a day because I can't afford wifi.

okay i didn't ask for your advice, i just want to know where i could find something like that.

Do you also recommend avoiding the plays themselves? If anything, an audiobook is the choicest presentation of a play as readily available media. Well, next to a film anyway.

an axiom?

literally "self-evident truth"

In all honesty Shakespeare is better read than seen. The only people that disagree are theater fags.
Especially for people not used to the language, too much would go over your head by listening or watching. You need to read and rereading parts to fully understand them.

Okay we can make an exception for Shakespeare. Maybe you'd want to read Endgame too, but you can't argue that its better to read American Buffalo than watch the movie. It just seems kind of dumb to make a blanket statement to avoid plays in play-format because 1) it defeats the purpose and 2) most of them are meant to be dramatic.

maybe another word. I mean like an idea an argument can be predicated upon

Yeah I meant just Shakespeare, I thought that was what the question was about. Plays with contemporary English should be watched.

okay well i've read plenty shakespeare, and i just want recordings of someone reading it.

ok faggot try googling shakespeare audiobook and compparing your options, it really isnt that hard. some questions dont deserve their own comment, let alone thread

and you do realize that an audiobook is a derivative of a physical book? I would prefer the actual play, but if you really think somebody reading the play to you instead of reading it yourself is better, you have no business with shakespeare to begin with

i was asking if anyone had any experience with them and wanted to recommend something, but i should have expected that some asshole would feel the need to yell at people because his dick is too small.
stay classy Veeky Forums

>"do my work for me Veeky Forums"
>"no"
>"wow... stay classy, needle dick"

Sure but I would rather hear a real actor emoting than the autistic monotone SoB inside my head.

>implying reading a play is better than hearing it spoken aloud

Fair enough but even Shakespeare warrants a dramatic presentation following a reading of his plays. Provided its not an abortion from the wheelhouse of Baz Luhrmann of course.

How do I start chipping away at my book backlog?

I need to make time to read physical books I've bought a while ago.

The best way to do this would be to read books in your backlog.

seems like you answered your own question.

if you plan to read the new 52 Suicide Squad (which is what the movie is based on and I assume your interest in the comic stems from the movie), than don't. It's really bad, even for comic book standards.

Sandman is pretty good, you should give that a shot. It's kind of Veeky Forums tier too.

In this video titled "top five disturbing novels" by the Bookchemist, he lists Infinite Jest as number six on his list (1:09). He says that while it is not a disturbing book, it does have one of the most disturbing scenes he has ever read.

I have read the entirety of IJ and I still don't know to what he is referring to

Could it be the scene where the woman is telling her group at AA that her father would rape her mentally handicapped sister beside her and put a mask over her head while he had his way with her?

Or was it the other scene where the drug addict is describing how she had a miscarriage in a public bathroom and felt so guilty that she carried it with her until it started to rot so bad the smell was unbearable?

Any thoughts to what he may be referring to?

youtu.be/lE3O_YaI3gQ

does anyone have the link to the video of the drunk guy screaming david foster wallace out his car window? thanks

those two (I completely forgot the second) and/or the way too long cat murdering

I thought it was fine, but it was also making fun of creepy profiles of celebrity women written by men so maybe to was trying to do too much for some readers, especially if they've never read a Vogue in their life (though one in 'men's' magazines are often worse)

is saying "people who believe this are usually (insert insult here)" an ad populum or ad hominem?

Can anyone recommend a good story or philosophy book about accepting your self? Just looking for something that deals with identity, and how ones identity functions in relations with other people.

>>>tumblr

Ahh, so HG Wells, Bertrand Russell, etc, are all wrong.

>a ton
Kek, unless he speaks a few languages, he's missing out on Austen and Bronte, but not much else.

How important is ancient philosophy in contemporary thought, and specifically Plato's philosophy?