/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

What is your favorite SFF book with a mystery as its focal point?

Recommendations
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ / i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looking for something similar to Throne of Bones or the Witcher

Maybe Elric?

Has anyone read any of Elizabeth Moons stuff? Looking for a sci fi/fantasy series to read this summer.

Elric is like poor man's Geralt.

22 or 16 days until The Great Ordeal

What are you hyped to see in it?

Stop this.

Can you literally not handle one post per thread?

I think The Blade Itself is the weakest of the FL trilogy. I liked Before They Are Hanged the most.

Wrong thread

So why shouldn't Bilbo be free to spend his well earned gold as he pleases? Why should his orphaned nephew not be allowed to share his good fortune? I can assure you that Sam didn't have to start from nothing either.

Looking for some high fantasy with some good old good vs. evil and some romance stuff in it.

>What are you hyped to see in it?

The cucking to end all cuckings.

I liked Vatta's War but the ending was kinda flat. Apparently the Serrano series is good but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

If you haven't read it already, I'd suggest the Lost Fleet series. It's fleet action in space like Honor Harrington, but entirely more readable than David Weber going on for pages about X number of missiles meeting Y number of counter-missiles and Z number of point-defense lasers so that A number of missiles get within range and have a C probability of striking a enemy ship.

Can Vampires be hard sci-fi?

rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm

>Can Vampires be hard sci-fi?
No.

Y-you didn't even watch the presentation

I'm hyped for the No-God to awake at the end.

You know it's coming. Also I bet Sorwell is totally gonna score at Ishterebinth.

Finally picked up The Once and Future King at my local bookstore.
What can I expect, Veeky Forums?

>Also I bet Sorwell is totally gonna score at Ishterebinth.

But the non-men are Consult now.

Mythology, but with better characterization

Can anyone explain why Veeky Forums tolerates these /v/ 'generals'?

>Reading City of the Saved
>A character called "Rick Kithred" shows up
>starts babbling about God, mind control, the Secret Architects, etc
>mfw

Against his will maybe.

If Bakker wanted to be really shocking he could vault all the rape flags on Serwa and have Sorweel get raped instead.

What sci-fi novels would you recommend for someone based solely on their liking the mix of adventure, character, and touching on philosophical themes in Star Trek: The Original Series?

Tis a leper colony.
Segregated outside the city walls, our cancerous discourse can flourish without disturbing the effete intellectuals within. Alas, as the wafting aroma of rotted flesh draws carrion, so do we attract the potentially undesirable literary element. With the setting of each new sun, a certain boldness arises amongst our depraved brethren, foredooming the blissfully unaware to that fated day of weeping and gnashing of teeth.

With the consult anything is possible

What should I check out if I'm liking Mistborn so far (middle of book 2)

reddit

>talk with someone about fantasy
>one of their first reasons for liking a work is "badass female characters"
This happens way too often, when will the memes stop?

The barrel of the closest loaded gun.

Are you saying you have a problem with a female character being a badass, or with the idea that this necessarily means a work is good?

The latter. Badass anything being considered a good quality is almost automatically a warning sign.

Jesus christ we just had /pol/ shit last thread can you not do this this time?
Yes we get it you hate women, no need to go shout it in every random thread

Depends on what you're in for. I can't imagine sword-and-sorcery without the protagonist being kind of a badass.

>immediately shouting "WOMAN HATER!"

Didn't know Veeky Forums was this far left to slap labels on people that don't apply.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
2001 A Space Odyssey
maybe Starship Troopers
Ringworld

Veeky Forums is not homogenous. stupid.

>every week I go to Barnes and Noble
>every week I check out the fantasy shelf
>every week it's run of the mill SEKRIT WURLD urban fantasy shit
>when a new fantasy novel does come along, it's just another bland rehash of Tolkienien works
The publishing industry needs to burn.

Sanderson's other works. Kingkiller Chronicle by Rothfuss.
Veeky Forums will hate on these because the writing is just average, yet both authors have become insanely popular recently.

Sounds good, thanks friendo

Good evening.

I'd like to read a fiction dealing with cults in a modern setting, outside of Robert Howard, Lovecraft, and Robert Silverberg's Book Of Skulls which I am already familiar with.

Something that is influenced and informed by existing cults and cult practices (including old mystics and esoteric writers) would be even better.

Women are literally a meme right now. There's no stopping it.

thanks man. I'm thinking stormlight archive next but what do you think of the mistborn books past the trilogy?

Bought Tigana, Al-Rassan, Song for Arbonne, the Blade Itself, and the Way of Kings today.

Did i do good?

You'll probably want to look into horror rather than fantasy, then, friendo.

What's going to be the hip new fantasy fad, having a fantasy world that's pretty much modern times that isn't a secret world where soldiers run around with enchanted acog scopes on their ARs with magic mana bullets?

I'd actually read something like that

The new fantasy fad is the same shit we've read before but with women as the protagonists and blacks and gays as the supporting cast. After that, the future looks dim.

Oh and i should add that if you're open to comedy, hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy has some philosophy in it, and it feels very "classic scifi" like trek.

>Did I do good Veeky Forums masters?

Why are you so desperate to seek the approval of pseudo-intellectuals?

Thanks!
I've read them, but it was years ago. May reread sometime soon. Thank you.

>enchanted acog scopes on their ARs with magic mana bullets

Been done before. It's called "military sci-fi."

I decided to flip through the net for other communities where SFF is commonly discussed.

Of course, one of the first results was Reddit.

I asked myself, "How bad could it be?"

It's that bad, guys.

It's that bad.

Actually haven't checked them out yet, sorry. Ending of the final book in the Mistborn trilogy is a little out there, but you'll probably enjoy it. I've heard the other ones are just as good and carry on the spirit of the first trilogy very well, despite being set in a different time with different characters.
If you're not too invested in the Mistborn world by the end of the first trilogy, just jump over to Stormlight Achieve. It's Sanderson's first real attempt at an epic fantasy (Mistborn and most of his other stuff can feel like action/adventure over fantasy at times), and he does quite well. The Way of Kings got some pretty high praise, and I've never seen it hated on around here. The world is far more fleshed-out compared to Sanderson's other stuff and other modern fantasy epics in general. Definitely worth checking out.

I read Tigana a decade ago. I recall ASOIAF levels of incestuous sex.

IMO I am in the correct place. The religious and occult are in the realms of fantasy as well as horror. And I am loathe to making a new thread when it isn't necessary.

alright thanks mate, I'll read the way of kings next

I'm not.

>I read Tigana a decade ago. I recall ASOIAF levels of incestuous sex.

Sounds like the Shadow Ops series by Myke Cole.

>Across the country and in every nation, people are waking up with magical talents. Untrained and panicked, they summon storms, raise the dead, and set everything they touch ablaze.

>Army officer Oscar Britton sees the worst of it. A lieutenant attached to the military's Supernatural Operations Corps, his mission is to bring order to a world gone mad. Then he abruptly manifests a rare and prohibited magical power, transforming him overnight from government agent to public enemy number one.

>The SOC knows how to handle this kind of situation: hunt him down--and take him out. Driven into an underground shadow world, Britton is about to learn that magic has changed all the rules he's ever known, and that his life isn't the only thing he's fighting for.

>Jesus christ we just had /pol/ shit last thread can you not do this this time?
No we didn't.

We've all read Blindsight m8.

>Yes we get it you hate women
>If you don't want mary sues inserted into your books because of political bullshit then you hate people with vaginas
This meme needs to die.

>roastie detected

The Baley trilogy of Asimov.

Is the lord of moonspawn Moonman?
I keep waiting for the triple-K mafia but I'm not seeing anything yet

PLEASE SOMOENE TELL ME FELICIA WILL FUCKING DIE
GOD DAMN THAT FOUL HAG
THAT FUCKING WITCH
stupid fucking girl PLEASE DIE
i dont care for spoilers just PLEASE TELL ME SHE DIES

I recently finished Roadside Picnic and was wondering if there are any similar books?
I love the idea of a Zone with dangerous flora/fauna and other strange phenomena

s.t.a.l.k.e.r.: southern comfort :^)

pic related

Kek

Thanks, I'll check those out

Solaris has a strange kind of zone with dangerous and strange phenomena
it's pretty different, but not that different

It's the other way around, Geralt is a copy of Elric.
>writing is average

No, it's utter garbage for cretins.
Partially.
The Blade itself is trash, Way of Kings is anime writing, Tigana and Lions still haven't been assessed, so you have hope.

I really want to try my hand at writing a fantasy novel set in a medieval setting with great morally ambiguous characters but I'm afraid it would just come off as a Ice and Fire rip off.

I know Martin wanted to do a fantasy story that broke all the mundane cliches that he saw going on around him in the genre at the time, but now it feels like his own creation has ironically done the same.

If I write something with real characters and real consequences in a similar environment, I will feel as though I'm just rehashing what has become popular. I dunno what to do.

As long as it's well written it literally doesn't matter. GRRM leans too heavily on soap opera anyway, and his real talent is sci fi more than fantasy.

Lions of Al-Rassan and A Song for Arbonne are two of my favourite Kay reads. Tigana much less so.

The Blade Itself is only OK, but I think the trilogy is greater than the sum of its parts.

Way of Kings is bloat central, but if you like epic fantasy, you'll find it plenty there.

Is there anywhere with like minded people in this thread that I can toss around a few ideas with? Do I just use this thread or what

Just chat here m8, unless you're afraid someone's guna steal your epic OC.

> great morally ambiguous
Dry water etc.

Nah dgaf about "muh ideas". Do you know of any good fantasy (not high fantasy but grounded) that sets it's story in the middle of a plague? I've been tossing about with the idea of doing a sort of grounded fantasy novel with said disease as the backdrop. The idea being the capital of the region shuts it's gates to the rest of it's country to keep the disease out while the outside world falls apart.

Masque of the Red Death?

Where can I post some of my sff short stories to gain some e-recognition? What are some more popular sites/forums?
I've been thinking to put my billion year deviantArt account to good use but people there don't care about literature, only furry shit.

Can't hurt to at least try.

Suicidal fatalism doesn't really solve anything

Have you played Dishonored?

feel really good as a sanderson fan.

Read the White Sand graphic novel in advance of one week before it was published.

Yes it does

>Start with no e-recognition
>End with no e-recognition
Really solved your problem.

After the torturous prose of The Red Knight, Iron Dragons Daughter is a treat, comparative to drinking juice when your mouth is dry and your breath smells.

Not the shill, but it is a good book. That Breitbart pleb ""journalist"" from the last thread insulted it but i doubt he's even read it.

It's quite original and the best thing is, it's dark, but not the I'm a leftist, war is bad I'll write a Martin clone grimdark.

Please respond

How are we supposed to know what the fuck you are talking about?

Malazan 2nd book the stupid fucking girl

what the fuck are you talking about you stupid nigger

You mean Felisin? She survives and gets godlike superpowers. All her companions die protecting her, and she never admits she was wrong.

shut the fuck up you spear chugging melanin enriched fuckface you'll learn your place when the moon shines white

I'm talking about this stupid fucking 15/16 year old whore who is a fucking retarded little girl who should fucking die

Is she the one that got possessed when her dad was killed in Gardens of the Moon? I never finished it. The scene changed and all of a sudden she was with the Bridgeburners or something.

No. She is parans sister mentioned once in gotm also some of the poems are from her.