Let's talk about our futures, Veeky Forums. I'm an English undergrad, trying to decide what to do after I graduate...

Let's talk about our futures, Veeky Forums. I'm an English undergrad, trying to decide what to do after I graduate. The only real avenues that are open and hold some interest to me are grad school, law school, and the peace corps. I'm afraid all three could ruin my life, but whatever. What do you think? And as part of a larger discussion, what are you Veeky Forumsizens thinking about doing/are doing?

i don't think about it too seriously.

after i graduate i'll probably do a cooking apprenticeship for a year then go to graduate school somewhere in the US. i'm not really interested in hoarding a lot of money, i just want a roof and money for books and booze.

Maybe I'll be a mailman or a trucker

I'm still in grad school, doing part time work from home jobs like online TA-ing, proofreading, etc.

To be honest I'd be pretty content doing this for the rest of my life, switching up TA-ing with online adjunctship, probably. I love the comfort of working from home and having no fixed schedule. I still make ~$30k a year and barely work 20 hours a week, so it's definitely livable. It also makes raising children much more feasible, since it's pretty flexible stuff.

Most importantly it means I can live anywhere with an okay internet connection, which opens up a ton of possibilities for what kind of house to buy. I've always wanted land, but that's difficult if you need to live near a city for working.

I've heard automated cars are going to phase out the entire profession of trucking, so mailman is a better bet. And those gov benefits tho

I'm going to teach high school, which is pretty much what I've wanted to do for most of my life. I don't know why, I guess I'm a sucker.

I like this thread. All the people posting so far are chill af

>i just want a roof and money for books and booze.
Best thing to hope for. Either get a job you enjoy, regardless of money, or get a job you're indifferent about and isn't too difficult where you get enough money to live on.

You were in that other thread too. How did you get the work you're doing currently?

>automated cars
Yeah ive heard theyre going to put a damper on the trucking profession, kind of sad. One of my new coworker's is a mailman and the way he describes it sounds pretty tight, hopefully they don't get taken over by drones or some shit cause then I'm fucked and stuck flipping burgers till death takes me. Most jobs really don't interest me.

Considered garbageman?

NEET

Not until now

>one of my new coworkers is a mailman
Hold your horses

HOLD THE FORT

Idk, think I'm gonna dedicate my life to Fight for Communism

>implying there is a future

I currently write editorial material for an intergovernmental organization.

Pay is shit, so I'm quitting and going to business school for a Master's in Management. Hopefully get a corporate management job that will let me make 6 figures in 5 years, and save up/ invest enough to take some time off and write and travel full-time, while doing occasional contractual work.

OP, law school will definitely ruin your life, grad school probably will and the Peace Corps could be good. What's life ruining about the Peace Corps.

Currently getting drunk and shitposting all day. Have a conference thing in a month that I should sober up and prepare for.

Waiting for fall semester when I can once again get paid a pittance at my adjunct position.

Plot twist: I'm in stem and currently reading asoiaf for the 4th time. :^)

I am a NEET for four years who has been self-studying politics and philosophy for the last two years and just wrote one of the worst short stories ever created why shouldn;t I kill myself

no reason. you should kill yourself, faggot.

Don't you wanna see what happens next?

surprise

thanks for being honest

why would i?

what?

either kill myself in 3 years on or around my 25th birthday, or trudge on and become a lit professor or something. Maybe teach some Gaddis and Gass

didn't mean to quote

By sending emails out and looking for jobs when I felt like it. Email publishers asking if they need help, search universities' career pages pretty frequently, etc. I don't think I did anything special aside from actively asking if smaller publishers needed help.

>why
because life is full of surprises.

to kill oneself is a monstrous act of arrogance- it says that you know your life cannot improve to the degree that life is worthwhile, when the nature of reality is such that a surprise could erupt from the earth at any moment which tosses the whole assembly into an infinity of entirely new configurations.

Surprise is the ultimate hope

Just finished my undergrad in history. Planning on doing a one year program for public relations and corporate communications. The work involves quite a bit of writing so why not

this person knows what they are saying

i have no friends or family and a wonderful girlfriend who loves me very much and for some reason doesn't care about my past or future. dropped out of college because I hate the entire education system here in America and don't agree with it. ive quit from 3 jobs in the last 8 months and dont have enough money to pay my rent, didn't pay my rent last month. was homeless 9 months ago. i want to live in a boat, i don't have money for one or a liveaboard license at a marina and i dont want my girlfriend to date a guy who lives in a boat. i drink a lot and hide it from her. all i do all day is read and write and sometimes watch a film or something. i haven't been outside in a month except once to go grocery shopping with what money i had left. Ive been to a few counselors, they've all told me im a narcissist with sociopathic tendencies. the narcissism part is true, i love myself. im attractive and intelligent. i dont know about my future, people just like to talk about themselves

except that's a profound misunderstanding of why people usually kill themselves

My post has nothing to do with why people kill themselves. It has to do with how that's dumb.

maybe the why wasn't the correct word. "a profound misunderstanding of people killing themselves."

this is you

>to kill oneself is a monstrous act of arrogance- it says that you know your life cannot improve to the degree that life is worthwhile

it's shows you have no idea what you're talking about. people don't kill themselves because they think their life is going to be bad forever.

Probably gonna be a firefighter and write short stories on the side

you sound like you're implying everyone kills themselves for one reason

what they think is irrelevant. that is the fact of the matter.

I'm 22 and moved back home this summer after a catastrophic breakup w/ someone I was living with. I dropped out awhile ago because I didn't want to pay for a journalism or english degree when I knew I was capable anyway and didn't want to pay to basically network with a bunch of affluent incubated weenies. It all kind of worked out because right now I don't have a loan to pay off or anything- I couldn't imagine having to go through a separation like that AND have to keep running on a treadmill to pay back a loan.

The idea is definitely to write. Nonfiction, poetry, journalism, whatever. If I have to work some shite job to manage in my 20s, that's fine. Just recovering right now but trying to stay optimistic

You'll make it bro. I broke up with my first gf at your age and kept going to school and ended up failing out. Avoid alcohol, it will NOT help

who's talking about what they think except for you (misguidedly)?

Yeah, I definitely try to avoid drinking to excess. I have a small body in the first place, and I just like pot more when it comes down to it.

This is like my fourth or fifth time going through the whole breakup thing but I definitely had a miserable drunken stage after the first catastrophic one, when I was 18 or 19. Hopefully falling in and out of love over and over the whole time I've been an adult will pay off in writing.

You.

sounds p great
hang in there user

Undergrad in philosophy and physics. I plan on going to graduate school in philosophy with the aim of accomplishing the impossible ie becoming a professor. I'm making pretty good progress towards that for where I am, but I would really be okay if something else entirely happens. I just want to learn more philosophy and figure out how I'm supposed to communicate with others and spend my days and I feel pretty guilty that I have a caring family and gf who are allowing me to care about those things and not paying rent.

have a degree in history which i've done nothing with so far, though recently i've begun to halfheartedly send out applications to whatever jobs i come across that seem tolerable and vaguely related to my major. also trying to finally get laid but i've had no success with tinder so far. at least i'm no longer in poor physical shape.

>to kill oneself is a monstrous act of arrogance- it says that you know your life cannot improve to the degree that life is worthwhile
1. Nowhere is a claim of knowledge actually implicit. Human actions constitute belief and expectation. If I offer you the opportunity to roll a die knowing I would pay you $3 if you get a 1-4 and you would pay me $3 on rolling a 5 or 6, you would expect to gain $1. You cannot know the outcome in advance.
2. You are neglecting a whole continuum from egoistic to altruistic suicides besides. If you want to make an unqualified statement about a certain action, you should ensure that it does not depend on motivation.

Once I finish my International Relations degree I'm going to try being an officer in my country's military (Navy preferably). Kind of wish I majored in History but I have two part time semesters left in an academic career that's already exceeded by a year, I'm eager to get my life started.

you sound like me, OP.
Just kill yourself.
Life is a pointless joke.

I start a thread about what young, literature-oriented people could do with their lives and it quickly turns into a thread about suicide. Gr9

How can it be pointless if I'm the punchline.

Can you fags take this normie shit to reddit please?

You're really shitting up the board.

I'm an eighteen year old television actor who just finished high school. I spend all day reading and could do so for the rest of my life.

I studied English literature in college.
I graduated.
I moved home and tried to find a job in my medium-sized city.
I found nothing.
I moved to a large city to live with a relative.
I worked minimum wage jobs for around 6 months.
I found an entry-level job at a tech startup.
I have been working there for around two and a half years at this point.
Every day I slip closer towards my inevitable suicide.

mere semantics and equivocation

Don't do it user! You must persevere!

19 been out of highschool for a year doing a lot of drugs went through rehab and a second mandatory psychiatric hospital stay. Want to do something with my life that is worthy of literary merit. Shoot heroin instead.

>waaaaah im a big suicidal baby listen to me cry about how sad i am i talk about suicide all the time but here i am still whining to you about it instead of actually killing myself
not a single one of you pussies will kill yourself, you'll just keep telling people that don't care about how suicidal you are because you're too much of a pussy to even kill yourself

either do it or don't, if it's "inevitable" stop wasting everyone's time and do it already

21, currently in college majoring in Chem E with minors in Philo and English. I'm at a pretty difficult university so this coming year is going to be pretty hard, and I'm considering either staying longer to finish my minors in my fields of interest, or dropping them altogether.

I really like my intended field of work from a conceptual point of view, but I feel like working among the inevitably-autistic engineers will slowly drain on me. As it is, engineering students annoy me to no end.

What do I do familia?

Also, I think suicide will definitely be my eventual end, because I can see death coming no other way.