>Music has Beethoven's 9th Symphony
>Painting has Da Vinci's Mona Lisa
>Sculpture has Michelangelo's David
>Film has Welles's Citizen Kane
>Anime has Kakifly's K-On!
>Architecture has Eiffel's Eiffel Tower

What does Literature have?

The Fault in Our Stars

Oh besides the Odyssey, the Bible, Dante's inferno, Hamlet, paradise lost?

Do you want a strait up novel? Poetry? Plays?

Something better than Citizen Kane

Hmm, that's a toughy.

>Anime has Anno's Evangelion

Don't worry user, I sometimes get them confused too.

The Eiffel Tower is an eyesore.

ewww

What are we looking for? Something not entirely too special that outsiders disproportionately appreciate and associate with the field?

In that case we have Romeo and Juliette.

Also, in that case K-On! has been replaced by One Reddit Man.

>Anime has Kakifly's K-On!

Anime has nothing, you filthy degenerate.

>>Painting has Da Vinci's Mona Lisa
retard
>>Sculpture has Michelangelo's David
not completely retarded, but no
>>Film has Welles's Citizen Kane
retard
>>Anime has Kakifly's K-On!
degenerate
>>Architecture has Eiffel's Eiffel Tower
retard

You forgot Beethoven's 9th

Quite a large proportion don't even regard it as his finest symphony, the 3rd or 7th often coming out higher. A common complaint being the chorale finale being an awkward, ill-fitting bolt-on.

But for people who don't know much about classical music it is unconditionally seen as an apex. Just as the other populist works listed are.

Aren't Beethoven's string quartets considered to be the apex of Beethoven? The ninth isn't even the best Beethoven, let alone the best musical piece.
Also I'd make the case that Wachet Auf is the best classical composition

>people actually swallows the citizen kane meme

It's definitely not the Eiffel Tower as the pinnacle of architecture m8
everything else makes sense despite not being true (anime doesn't belong on that list at all) but the Eiffel Tower is a retarded choice

Citizen Kane is the Gatsby of film - not so technical and prophetic that it's difficult to digest, but just """complex""" and """inspired""" enough that it satisfies the plebs.

>anime has Oshii's Angel's egg
Ftfy

>not Kino no Tabi for anime

The bolt on choir keeps the lacanian object of desire in this case perfection in focus and the awkward instrumental after critiques the whole symphony. It's a perfect symphony only that's like the 3/7 as truly above it.

>implying Gatsby isn't a technical wonder
plebs don't read it for the technical aspects and they don't realize they're there, plebs just want a story of a super rich guy trying to fuck some puss

>Calling it by its weeb name
Mushi-shi and Haibane Renmei are better sempai.

Oh, the musicality of it!

The pinnacle of music is Bach's Art of Fugue.

Shit checked for quads of supreme number 9

good digits

trash opinion

>2016
>still listening to beethoven
>not listening to better contempory composers such as the finest Takashi Yoshimatsu
>brainless sheeps

The 9th is pretty overrated.

Good one.

OP you triggered the contrarians into overload

literature has DOGBOYS and it needs nothing else.

>the Eiffel tower
>architecture

>Beethoven's 9th

>including anime

Off yourself t b q h

Jesus fucking Christ

>books

This is the worst board.

>all these dumbasses getting triggered
You are missinterpreting OP. He isn't talking about the apexes of those fields, but those works most associated with it in mainstream culture. For literature I second

>Anime has Yatabe's Boku No Pico
Ftfy senpai

Gatsby is the perfect book for high schoolers because it shows how being a thirsty beta and missing your ex is severe faggotry

Romeo and Juliet is a play...

If we're going for meme tier shit then...

Film has Shawshank
Anime has Akira
Literature has The Iliad and the Odyssey

Also I don't think anime should be on this list at all, it's just shitty film the same way that pop music isn't listed here.

You sound like a pseudo-intellectual who doesn't know the first thing about music. Also it's not the perfect symphony, the third movement is boring as hell and the fourth has some of the sloppiest writing (particularly from the brass and woodwind) ever in a major work.

Video games have The LAst of Us which is the Citizen Kane of video games

Said the idiotic pseud.

Stop shitposting. Why are you even here?

agreed on awful third movement. fourth movement is forgivable imo because of the formal brilliance and innovations associated with it. details can be overlooked.

the first movement had a strong claim to bring the most perfect first movement ever written in the entire repertoire however.

To easily dismiss Citizen Kane you'd have to be a dumb faggot who knows absolutely nothing about film. It's one of the most innovative and influential films of all time. Before it films just used boring shots like simply showing everything going on in a 2 dimensional plane and just filming dialogue shot reverse shot zoomed in on the character talking's face etc. but in Citizen Kane deep focus camera was used which added complexity to the characters and to the visual story telling, this all really influenced film noir and brought back traditional theatrical staging to film. Plus the use of sound to transition from one scene to another in the film is used in pretty much every movie now, plus the use of flashback and unreliable narration, which had only really been done in novels, plus way more I'm too lazy to write. This information is widely available

Only Americans think Shawshank is quintessential cinema.

/thread

>Music has Lmafo's Party Rock Anthem
>Painting has Worhol's Campbells Soup Cans
>Sculpture has Bonavita's Many Colors
>Film has DreamWorks' Minions
>Anime has Naruto
>Architecture has the Kremlin
What does literature have?

>video games are art

Though since anime is included I guess it's ok.

Yeah and plays are written in books, man.

>The LAst of Us which is the Citizen Kane of video games

Probably one of these.

>Not the Chrysler Building or Fallingwater
wew

>Chrysler Building
That's an achievement in building engineering. The architecture isn't that notable. Falling Water is a better option, but lacks in scale.

Technical innovations are worthless on their own.

Video games shouldnt be judged on how much they attempt to be choose your own adventure books, but rather how well they create art that is reliant on the medium of an interactive experience to best evoke the spirit of the work.

My vote goes to Shadow of the Colossus for gaming's masterpiece. If you disagree, you can fight me.

The joke's on you, because I, in fact, do know nothing about film :^)

Architecture actually has Eiffel's Eiffel's Eiffel tower2

lol owned!

Music has trout mask replica

t. someone who has never seen Vertigo

Infinite Jest

>architecture
>not World Trade Centers

>implying anime is art

Anime has Yu-Yu Hakusho

War and Peace

Why is scale a requirement? The Mona Lisa is quite small.

>i don't get it
>interstellar
sides.

Can someone explain what that picture is supposed to mean?

One implication is that anime fans don't have a solid counter argument when people call out pretentiouss anime, unlike fans of more high brow art forms. No idea about the last part.

Yoshimatsu has some good pieces but most is straight up garbage. Refer to Thomas Adès for good contemporary.

what are the good pieces by Yoshimatsu and Adès?

Vertov > Welles

Ah these posts reminded me that there's this contemporary(-ish) componist i want to check out, but i always forget his name, and it's been bothering me for long.
The one i heard was a string quartet (maybe more), very dissonant and screeching, and seemingly completely chaotic, watching them play was very interesting to me, but i can't for the life of me trace it back.

Anyone care to help, i think his last name was very piercing, like spike or spicek, something like that.

What do people see in Citizen Kane? I thought it was decent maybe great for the time but I dunno

Anime is film.

>K-On
>Not Neon Genesis Evangelion
>Not Serial Experiments Lain
>Not Haruhi Suzumiya
REEEEEEEE

All the film students of the 50s and 60s studied it, so they went on to teach their students that it was basically the best thing since sliced bread and so forth until it was eventually universally acknowledged that Citizen Kane was the best movie ever made.

Realtalk, though, is there anyone here who didn't like End of Evangelion?

the go-to would be EVA, but one would think they'd opt for Haruhi.

Sort of like The Beatles, I get it.

Schnittke? Bacewicz, Xenakis? I know a lot of string quartets but a contemporary composer with a name like that isn't familiar

Ades - Asyla, Violin Concerto 'Concentric Paths', Powder Her Face, Polaris
Yoshimatsu - Pleiades Dances, Threnody to Toki, Piano concerto 'Memo Flora'

Sorry this was in reply to

Schnittke was the closest one, but i already checked him.
I've never heard his name before, so he's not any of the big ones, like Xenakis or Penderecki.

The fuck? Do people here actually watch anime? I thought this was an 18+ board.

Schoenberg? Ligeti? Krzysztof Penderecki?

none, he has to be way more contemporary than a schoenberg, because this music wasn't just serialism, but proper avant-garde.

>implying all anime is for kids.
In that case, nobody over 18 can like South Park, Family Guy, Rick and Morty, etc. because cartoons are for kids

>South Park, Family Guy, Rick and Morty

at least those have elements of adult humor

Anime is made for mentally deficient and emotionally stunted manchildren

bruh

>Implying shows like Fruit of Grisaia, Nichibros, or Cowboy Bebop don't have adult humor.
I chose three very different shows on purpose. Anime is as diverse as most other mediums, but any medium has tropes and the mainstream ones don't portray anime in a positive light, I suppose. Either way, you're trolling.

I haven't watched any of those kind of shows since I was 19

Look at thiss picture & (and) tell me that its for manchildren

Which amino is this?

Who cares dude its just a hobbyt

Yuru Yuri

whats wrong with being that? words don't hurt

Elliott Sharp?

no

They aren't on their own, you philistine.

Certain shots are superb, and it also has many of the artistic merits of a good novel.

You chose the wrong line of attack against these imbeciles. That's exactly what they wanted to here, it gives the idiots license to retreat behind this cheap cliches:
>See it just happened to be influential! I'm not retarded for being unable to understand it!
They don't realize that innovation isn't enough. If these innovations had not been skillfully utilized by a genius, the film would have been worthless.