Summer Reading Projects

So we're all going to keep reading during summer, but do you have a "special thing" to do during the season?

Me and the gf are gong to be reading pic related in the next few months - I fear she has somewhat of a headstart on me due to having frequented a course on the book before, but we'll try and get through it at the same pace, maybe I'll ask her about the stuff I don't immediatly "get".

Me and the gf are gong to be reading pic related in the next few months - I fear she has somewhat of a headstart on me due to having frequented a course on the book before, but we'll try and get through it at the same pace, maybe I'll ask her about the stuff I don't immediatly "get".

Me and my bf are gong to be reading pic related in the next few months - I fear he has somewhat of a headstart on me due to having frequented /pol/ before, but we'll try and get through it at the same pace, maybe I'll ask him about the stuff I don't immediatly "get".

I decided to go back and finish my university degree.

It's politics, so pretty useless; but I'm interested in doing it properly, this time. The trouble is that every module has a shitload of 'recommended reading', by which they mean 'skim read and pick out anything that looks important' - which is bullshit, in my opinion.

I'd rather they assign, say, 5 books, to be read properly. Here's a list.

>Introduction

>Ball, T - Re-appraising political theory
>Berki, R - The History of Political Thought. A Short Introduction
>Cranston, M - Western Political Philosophers
>Hampsher-Monk 1 - History of Political Thought
>Jones, T -Modern Political Thinkers and Ideas
>Knowles, D - Political Philosophy
>Miller, D (ed) - Blackwell encyclopaedia of political thought
>Morrow, J - History of Political Thought
>Raphael, D - Problems of Political Philosophy
>Wolin, S - Politics and Vision

That's week one, of one module.

anyone ever notice how hegel is actually fucking stupid bullshit?

That sucks. Here in Italy they do just That, give you a list of shit you have to read thoroughly and not just skim - but it's far shorter than that. Had a course on Political Philosophy a couple weeks ago, it was pretty cool (gave me some insight on how people on this site are utterly clueless about The history of politics). How are you liking it?

Probably? I don't agree with those concepts of his I know, but you need to read the man before really passing an informed judgement.

Oh gosh, I'm being memed. It's like losing my virginity again. Thanks fellas.

Probably pic related

>Me and the gf are gong to be reading pic

Is your gf trans? If no, how the fuck did you find a woman who reads Hegel?

I work at a school so I get at least a month off for summer. Last year I started off with Ulysses and Capital Vol. 1. This summer I'm starting by finishing up the Critique of Pure Reason and Capital Vol. 3.

Am actually just about to start the Phenomenology today.

I spooked myself this morning as I was finishing up the CPR and wondering how I got myself into this reading mess.

No, but the dismissal of his work compared to the circle jerking of lightweights like Stirner and Nietzsche is certainly very bullshit.

Philosophy undergrad - easier than you'd think. Don't be fooled by the memes, there's a lot of worthwhile women in humanities and the "SJW-ism" isn't that rampant - and that's coming from a euro. She was the one to suggest reading Hegel actually, I'd been fine on a Spinoza/Nietzsche diet but Hey, I'm happy.

Reading through the Romans

Started already, but I've got academic shit to do first before I can go full steam ahead

>mfw all the humanity students I meet here in the Netherlands either batshit crazy, SJWs or a combination of those things

Which country are you in, user? Sounds like I need to move..

If Hegel had anything worthwhile to say he would have just wrote it plainly and directly like Nietzsche instead of obfuscating his silly ideas in clown talk

Italy, more specifically Venice. Do come visit, if you like.

Bertrand is an ugly name.

Russell is a total pleb, Hegel might have had wack ideas wrapped up in pseud-prose, but Russell is like the Black Space Man of philosophy

>Russell is a total pleb
He invented type theory.

Read the logic instead.

he had to resort to that kind of autistic gay shit cuz he had nothing important to say

Type theory isn't gay. Human-machine interaction is gay. Computational limguistics is gay. Robotics is at least bi. Type theory is straight af.

>in the next few months
Good meme lad

This is probably strange, but I am currently doing a study of Vitruvius' The Ten Books of Architecture. It is incredible reading about the Romans' advanced architectural techniques, as well as the highly developed social structure that both cultivated and resulted from said techniques.

Is Venice anything like Venice Beach? Cause fuck that place... smells like boiling piss all up and down that bitch.

tfw no gf who will read Hegel with me