Just finished Dune

Just finished Dune.

Why does everyone like this book so much? The characters (other than the Baron. Kynes, and Alia, who weren't explored much at all) were incredibly bland. The plot itself felt kind of generic, but maybe Herbert helped establish some of the tropes that I find dull. I did enjoy the world-building and the appendices after the book were pretty interesting. As someone with a Muslim background, I also thought the Fremen religion was fascinating to read about. Too bad almost all the characters sucked.

Paul is a Gary Stu with zero personality until the last chapter.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_(word)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You got meem'd

lmao it's just the intro retard.

>sandnigger
well there you go lad, the book appealed to me because I like the idea of desert cultures and knew nothing about them beforehand

I'm Iranian and white-passing and also white, so no sandnigger here, sorry

Paul is a Gary Stu with zero personality until the last chapter.

t. Harkonnen Grunt

Do you consider Italians, Slavs, and Jews to be nonwhite as well?

races are very fluid in that sense but euro-Jews like most of the ones in Israel I would consider white
course Slavs are white and Italians too, definitely moreso than fucking Iran pal

t. Baron H

>Why does everyone like this book so much?
They don't. It's fairly well-regarded within a specific genre with generally low standards, and even then I think it's more remembered for being inspirational and big and ambitious than for being actually good.

> Middle Iranian ērān/aryān are oblique plural forms of gentilic ēr- (Middle Persian) and ary- (Parthian), which in turn both derive from Old Iranian *arya-, meaning "'Aryan,' i.e., 'of the Iranians.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_(word)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan

"White" in the most technical sense is a catch-all term anything not black, indigenous, or East Asian. Only Europeans redefined it to mean "European descent"

a lot of Iranians are pretty brown though so I wouldn't call them white either but I'm pretty white user

This, its like being valedictorian of summer school. Perfectly fine for beach reading, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

>equating language with ethnicity
wew lad, looks like poos are white now too

just post a picture of your dick you faggot

People like it, myself included, because of the world building. The plot is generic but it's more about establishing and embellishing a whole world, and Herbert does a fine job of it. Even with a by-the-numbers plot, the world is rich enough that I can get into it every time I open it up. It's a super comfy book.

>beach reading
>Dune
raisedeyebrow.jpg

It's weighed down by lore and exposition in the first half of the book. From there, I enjoyed Dune more as a conventional coming-of-age story and revenge plot.

If I were Herbert I will have considered putting in a minor character for light relief. Such a long book that deals with a lot of weighty topics (religion, ecology, government) needs some levity or it becomes interminable.

Jodorowsky should write his version of Dune as a novel. Sounded like it at least had some character.

Because it's some of the headiest shit a 13 year old can read. And that's awesome and I love it. Even to an adult it's a super fun read if you're not a sperglord.
The only problem is the world is full of plebs who read at a 13 year old level and think it's the most visionary work ever written, then dumbasses like you come along to rant about how it's not that good because you're too myopic to see that everyone else is either too uncultured to understand your argument or cultured enough to recognize a fun adventure story with cool ideas for what it is and pay you no mind.

But is it actually that fun? Like says there is no comic relief and every character talks like they're in a soap opera.

And it's not that it's popular among the general population anymore, moreso that it's one of the most recommended sci-fi reads on the /sffg/ threads.

I guess it's just personal taste. I've read a lot of stories that take place in feudal societies so I'm probably just bored of them.

I agree with this, it just wasn't a whole lot of fun. Everything in it carries an air of 'literary importance', it feels like reading a dry historical novel without any of the real world relevance.

Dune to islam is like evangelion is to Christianity.

Whats not fun about spacejihadis riding very large worms

because that's like 10% of the book and the rest is overwritten political plots being played out in boring aristocratic dialgoues or tribe meetings

I would take that this thread a bit more seriously, but you're an Iranian who thinks that he's white. Opinion discarded.

I also think the book suffers from having too many similar characters. For example, do we need Gurney Halleck, given that there are already several Atreides men who embody his qualities of being noble, loyal, and strong? I didn't appreciate the songs, either.

Here, I would have made Gurney into a less strong and more companionable figure to bring the novel some levity - like Bronn from ASOIAF, off the top of my head. Or like a fat, garrulous, pompous priest from another book I read.

Gurney is meant to be a smuggler, but he becomes another fighter among the other Atreides and Fremen - much of a muchness.

Now what Dune did get right IMO is the setting, Fremen, Bene Gesseritt and Harkonnens.

i bet you eat dessert first too

I read intellectually stimulating literature

>white-passing

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THIS BOOK
THIS FUCKING BOOK

chapter one:

paul is encountered by the witch: "you are going to become king of the desert people and their messiah, this is definitely going to happen. also, any dreams lately?"

paul:"yeah i dreamt about a 10/10 qt that i'm going to marry in the desert"

witch: "ok good because you're going to marry her"

switches to the evil baron: "haha we have a plot to kill paul and his dad the duke. also the doctor is the traitor."

the ENTIRE FIRST ACT:

every character: "wow i wonder who the traitor is. it's probably the doctor"

spoiler: it's the doctor.

second act: paul is revealed to be the messiah.

everyone: "wow i wonder if he really is the messiah"

spoiler: he is the messiah.
this piece of crap book. i read it in the seventh grade and was disgusted. none of the characters have consistent personalities, the perspective changes in the middle of paragraphs, the narrator is the most omniscient i've ever seen (literally everyone's thoughts are shown)

and there's these idiotic dashes everywhere. if i have to see one more hmm-mm-mm i'm going to break down.

lol'd

you're right about the book though

pic of u

I bet you're the kind of guy who thinks Joyce is a good writer

Might as well ask about kevin j anderson since he did the dune prequels and spioffs or something. How do you find him? I tried up to the middle of his Terra Incognita trilogy and i just couldnt continue. I found his writing such a bore. The world building was nice though, ill give him that. Is it worth finishing the reat of that trilogy?

two authors that insult your intelligence in two different ways.

the paradigm is shattered

>all these plebs ITT who expected Dune to be an all-action story
>mfw that dinner scene before the Harkonnen raid was one of the best scenes in the book