I've signed up for a "Major British Writers" course for my next year at uni to see what it would be like; why not...

I've signed up for a "Major British Writers" course for my next year at uni to see what it would be like; why not, ya know?

Listed authors are Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Swift, Pope, Austen, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Tennyson, Browning, Bronte, Dickens, Joyce, Eliot, Woolf, and Yeats.

Any recommendations for materials to read beforehand?

the bible
the greeks
the romans

>greeks
>romans
Specifics?

Read Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Swift, Pope, Austen, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Tennyson, Browning, Bronte, Dickens, Joyce, Eliot, Woolf, and Yeats most famous works.

Pretty sure that's what will be happening in the course, I'm not 100% sure, it just seems like good guess

You can't read and analyze Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Swift, Pope, Austen, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Tennyson, Browning, Bronte, Dickens, Joyce, Eliot, Woolf, and Yeats most famous works in the span of a few classes. Just read them.

The Iliad, Odyssey, and New Testament. Maybe the Orestia (sp?), Oedipus trilogy, and Old Testament too if you're feeling ambitious.

Any recommendation of a bible to use? I have a couple scattered around my house but I'm not sure they're what to look for in a bible for non pious usage

the major works of:
homer
sophocles
euripides

get an overview of the major greek/roman myths, dont need to go hyper specific but just have general exposure
wikipedia some articles on roman poetry and read what seems interesting to you/have a general understanding of the genre

genesis
exodus
ecclesiastes
gospels (mark matthew john luke)
revelation

theres a bunch of other stuff too but that should be a decent-ish start. might've missed something major dont bite my head off.

OT > NT in terms of "literary" influence, especially on the authors he discussed

Surprised we haven't had Butthurt Irish Guy #2321 yet, disputing Joyce's classification as British.

It was part of the United Kingdom at the time, but not Great Britain, nor is it part of either today. You don't need to be from the Republic of Ireland to be irked by that.

Of course, dumb shit.

You don't have to be a part of Great Britain to be British. By definition, the island comprising England/Scotland/Wales is Great Britain.

The Northern Irish/Falkland Islanders/etc are all still British, however. The same was true for the Irish in Joyce's time.

Fuck off. He's Irish.

Specifics for Sophocles and Euripides? I've read The Iliad and I'm about half way though The Odyssey. Also, recommendation for a bible?

Found him, lads.

oedipus rex
antigone
oedipus at colonus
medea
bacchae

META MORPHOSES

So, bible recommendations?

it doesnt fucking matter

KJV is probably the most standard version so that. It doesn't matter so much if you're just looking at it for background in these sorts of things.

>people telling you to read the Greeks

ahahahahahahhahahaha Veeky Forums never disappoint.