What is the absolute worst book you've ever read?

What is the absolute worst book you've ever read?

Hamlet

the lost world

bunnicula

Read the whole thing in one sitting.

Surprisingly well-written but it's still about dragon cocks and I still feel ashamed to this day.

Go fuck yourself

I don't think I've ever read a book so profoundly bad that I would categorize it as the worst I've ever encountered.

The Skull Beneath the Skin, by P.D James

>I have never read a book so bad that it's the worst I've ever read

Maybe you should read one on logic

those horrible years where I released myself from the shackles of my christian upbringing but instead swung too far in the opposite direction like an edgy faggot

>tfw you will never have those years back

What was your problem with the selfish gene?

It was just so bad.

The prose wasn't good enough to cover up nothing happening.

>kill turtle, too bedazzled
>I'm going to london
>halfway there
>fuck it, I'll go back home

there, entire plot

b-but... the selfish gene it's a very good book if you are interested in biology

it has nothing about religion too at least i don't remember anything

Kundera does nothing for me.

>brief history of the young man
>catalogue of everything he owns
>bedazzles the fuck out of a turtle's shell
>thiskillstheturtle.jpg
>decide to go to london
>this is lame idratherbehome.meme
>go back
>doctor: you're dying
>shit.exe

fin

I am Legend. The motif of sexuality is so horrible, I couldn't believe what I read. He literally went insane and thought about abusing a corpse, because he haven't fucked someone in two years. What a joke. Try 27 you bitch.

This right here.

>Tfw read it whilst drinking a glass of wine and staying at my Christian grandma's house. She was sat opposite me on the couch, crying a bit.

A time for everything by Adolf Hitler

Six Years by Harlan Coben

ya grammaw sounds like a fag desu

It's popsci, outdated, oversimplified, contains false information, etc. Read a textbook if you're interested in biology. Bloody morons. Everyone one of you on Earth deserves to die. The best scientists in the world never read a popsci book, they read textbooks. A random pleb having some trivia about biology is about as useful as... OMG IM SCREAMING! Kill myself? Never, never never ! neverzr years DTDs tzd;TD;t,dffxyFudge nrcet nrcet never masce bhs ductsxeaw. This world will die someday, you will die someday, the knowledge and inventions made today will mean nothing.

this, although the angel stuff in the beginning was nice

The selfish gene and the extended phenotype are the least popsci of Dawkins work, would you also recommend that no one read Tinbergen, Gould, Mayr etc in addition to Dawkins?

Worst I've read since I've opened a goodreads account:

>neuromancer
>of mice and men
>at the mountain of madness
>death in venice
>Davy
>perdido street station

these sucks so much

You're thinking of The God Delusion. The Selfish Gene is Dawkins making a useful contribution to science, as opposed to his other works.

Fitting title.

Weak bait

this shit

>at the mountain of madness
gr8 b8

The Da Vinci Code.
Dialogue clearly written by someone who cannot speak to girls, laden with chunks of effortless and ubiquitous research that add nothing. The make and model of a plane's engines aren't important, research shouldn't show so baldly.
Lazily lifted ideas from an interesting 80s book, the page turner takes us on a long ride to nowhere. She's the descendant of Jesus....and?

Bullshit. You sound like a right cunt though.

Yeah, like first 30 pages.

>>>at the mountain of madness
>gr8 b8
idk I guess the translation was all over the place, it really felt like the prose had been written with his ass (same for neuromancer)

I wish I was joking.

Thank God I grew out of edgy teenage anti-theism.

>Werther

Lol, currently trying to force my way thru it.

Reads like a spiteful parody of early 19th novels.

This amount of idiocy, even if only for bait purposes, scares me.

neuromancer from gibson?

that's easy. a dirty job by christopher moore. full of alpha male theory, racial caricatures that were just plain lazy, shit prose, incomplete plot, two page main protagonist development, and an overall idea quality that would make palanhuik balk and stifle vomit.

You took a wrong turn at /leftypol/ m8?

Maze Runner

leftypol? what are you? a pleb? racial caricatures are fucking lazy. i don't give a fuck about the race itself. fuck niggers. there. anyway go read it if that tripe sounds like a pleasant show.

You'd adore Beckett. Really action-packed without resorting to tropes. Waiting for Godot and Mercier and Camier would be especially up your alley.

don't give a shit about the political aspect, if your fucking russian character's main conversational habit involves the phrase "strong like bear" with every interaction with the character, it's not funny, it's not edgy or clever, it's fucking lazy and stupid.

Sounder.

Fuck that prize it won, I had to force myself everyday for a week to finish that fucking thing.

yes

White Noise. Why does anybody like DeLilo?

The Unbearable Lightness of Being, or No Longer Human.

Please tell me she lived long enough to see it.

I fucking hate Jane Eyre.

isn't it also where the word meme comes from? or was that the extended phenotype?

>Selfish gene

Pamuk's Snow. How this guy got his Nobel's is completely beyond me.

We know trash

/mu/

kill yourselves immediately

Delilo is the most underrated humorist in America.

If you can stand novels where people are constantly weeping or going into "raptures", then OK.

It's just so sentimental and over the top.

FWIW, Goethe was also kind of embarrassed it was as popular as it was.

>Delilo is the most underrated humorist in America.
terrorist maybe.

His only somewhat redeeming book, it's not saying much but still not too bad. Everything else he wrote is trash pretty much but yeah why not pick an actual cringe worthy work of his?
At the mountains of madness, uhhhhh I'll assume that's bait

I don't know why you'd assume that's bait. I love Lovecraft, but there's a strong backlash against his newfound popularity that's especially evident on Veeky Forums.

An user here rec'd this. I don't know about the worst I've ever read, but, this is the worst I can remember.

Lovecraft himself I don't think has become more popular in the populace. Cthulhu itself has become much more popular with pop culture but at the mountains of madness most people agree that's probably his best work

>Lovecraft himself I don't think has become more popular in the populace.
>this is your typical lovecraft reader

The Sympatheizer

Has he ? A friend of mine could only find the one collection of stories at Barnes and Noble but I'm sort of out of touch with most people lol I don't get get into most people I tend to ignore them. I play call of cthulhu though so have always been a fan definitely am biased

>Perdido

Atlas Shrugged wins by volume; if it was 200-500 pages it wouldn't even be that bad but 1200 pages of a something kind of bad all adds up to horrible.

It's true that most of the people who are "fans" of Cthulhu and stuff have never read Lovecraft, but you have to remember that he was essentially unknown before his reputation was revitalized in the '60s and '70s. The fact that you and I have both read him itself demonstrates how much more popular he is today.

Took me a second to think of it. It's actually a series, not sure how many of these """books"""I read before I couldn't take it anymore.

There was no coherent plot, it was just all over the fucking place. The random twists he threw in made no sense, the story went nowhere at all, it was filled with overdone and unoriginal tropes, the main characters were edgy and he kept giving them more and more (ridiculous) powers. Most of them didnt even ever come into play. I think one of them had the power to fart gas clouds at enemies. No seriously.

He threw in a talking dog at one point because why the fuck not? Oh and it had the power to jump really high because that's cool I guess.

I don't know if he was getting paid for it or if he really thought he was making the story more relatable by adding sentences like, " I grabbed a can of coca cola™ off the table to quench my thirst" or "I put on my Nike® shoes on and headed down to McDonald's to fight the bad guys."

And who can forget "Now that the coast was clear, we needed to find some food to refuel after all that running. We walked into the nearby Burger King and ordered the new Flame Broiled Whopper™, made with no artificial flavoring and featuring a zesty taste that will make your mouth water. Add fries and a medium drink for only $5.99 at participating locations only. Have it your way."

Definitely the worst thing I've ever read.

their eyes were watching god

might not be the worst ever, but when i think about books that were torture to get through, this is always the first thing to come to mind.

This, goddamn. In particular, I couldn't get over the sheer improbability of living in Florida your whole life and not knowing what a hurricane is. Even for an uneducated woman in the early twentieth century, that seems unlikely.

HAAAAAAAA!

A better title for this book would be The Metaphysics of Goodpussy.

The book is not about how to get sex, goodpussy (one word) can be anything that makes you happy. It is the underlineing good feeling of all things in life. Chapters range from stuff like "when is it okay to hit your girlfriend", "stay in school", and "why it is morally wrong when black women date white men." Spear's also fills his book which his view of history and psychology. The entire book is nonsense and Spears is a bad writer. Everysingle page tho has the word "goodpussy" multiple times. I laughed a lot reading it.

Read this shit in Middle school, was pretty shit I agree, couldn't get past the second book

From the last year this and Taipei. I dont know why I always get persuaded but Im not touching modern american lit anytime soon

Imagine you are a lot smarter than you are. Read your post and laugh at how stupid you sound.

This piece of shit.

The prose is ridiculously pretentious and longwinded, and it all reads like a bunch of posh monocled brits wanking each other off.
Pointless.

>got memed into reading a reddit book and a twitter book
>"this is representative of modern american lit"

wew

>it all reads like a bunch of posh monocled brits wanking each other off.

If you knew anything about the author, you'd know that was probably what he was going for.

I've heard if you stick with Dorian Gray it pays off. I got bored after a few chapters. Is it really that good?

My dad gave me this book recently, is it really that bad? He loved it, he said it reminded him of 80's arcade games and the culture around it.

I loved it.

it's just a bunch of references made into a book

Second on Neuromancer. Great descriptive writing but needed another trip to the editor before publication. Narrative is so jumbled.

Author is a pussy and not cool like Kerouac.

What's Updike?

>scientists read textbooks
lmao senpai

you have shit taste

American psycho

I think that it's because of translations.

Of mice and men is ok but overrated, same for Davy.

I LOVED The Shadow over Innsmouth.

The ones I actually hated are Perdido Street Station and neuromancer.

death in venice is ok, but like the second chapter is literally pulled out his ass

ultimate memebook. I'm ashamed I actually wasted my time finishing this shit

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

book of disquiet, notes from the underground

I would say that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, by virtue of the fact I have never heard anything more stupid, but I don't categorise things like that.

Prety edgy m8

>hating Perdido Street Station
y tho???

The Goldfinch. Main character is a guy in his twenties who sounds like a middle-aged woman. Maybe not the worst I've ever read, but definitely the most overrated.

felt forced as fuck. I read it after the book of the new sun and it was terrible compared to that

Between The World And Me, not even trolling

Atlas shrugged

wtf I didn't get that at all and don't know anyone that did

the bean trees

i had to read it for ninth grade and it was one of the most blatant, lazy, and poorly written works i've ever read