Waiting For Godot

Possibly one of the greatest plays, if not the greatest play, of the 20th century.

Consider this: Samuel Beckett told Sir Ralph Richardson that if he had meant God by Godot, he would have said God and not Godot. He then takes the time to tell us that Sir Ralph Richardson seemed "disappointed by this".

Is this another master ruse by a master absurdist ruseman? Was he bringing the disappointment of the play into our reality?

I don't know man. What do you think?

Better novelist than playwright desu

Godot was a McGuffin

Who knows? Undoubtedly meant to make the link to God.

that's what I thought, him denying it just made me believe it more.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I read the play like 6 years ago) but I believe there is a part where the protagonists mention God by the name "God" which kinda makes Godot a different character..

I thought the play was ass. I get that it opens it to many potential interpretations and is loved by many but for the most part i didnt care and wasnt interested. It felt like he made it purposely vague so pretentious cunts would jerk their boyfriends off about how they discovered things in it. All in all it was disappointing although i do like the inane chitchat and talk of killing themselves...

>i do like the inane chitchat and talk of killing themselves.

that was literally the whole play you fucking idiot

>tfw my poetry teacher didn't accept my interpretation that they used Godot as an excuse to not have to face the fact that their life is shitty, time-loop like, and meaningless, and they literally have no way to change it.

No shit...i mean inane chitchat is good but i dont want a whole fuckin play of it...

i'm not surprised, if what you wrote is an accurate summary, it's stupid, almost like you didn't read it.

Why?
Did you need a fairy tale and a moral?

Errr... A vaguely charismatic play with nothing of interest to say (hurr durr that's the point! (see: it's vapid on purpose!)).

Yeah, but he undoubtedly aimed at the ambiguity, so no one really can't be sure. So his "no" is somewhat correct, because it is also yes.

Godot is pronounced like "Go do". They're waiting for someone to tell them to go and do something, for meaningful activity. This is contrasted with the brutish master-slave relationship between Pozzo and Lucky: they want a meaningful source of value they can trust, not a brutish master.

This

If he meant McGuffin by Godot he would have said McMuffin

It's a concretization of the postmodern condition of every paradigm being stale and dead and all interaction a mishmash of fading empty rituals with no conviction behind them.

It is the End of Evangelion of theatre.

No i want interesting style and ideas not talking about where he left his shoes yesterday or was it months ago hurhur im so deep. go read camus

>No i want interesting style and ideas
And you didn't think WfG included these?

"He used to think beautifully." Beckett is great, and served as my introduction to the Holy Trinity of Irish authors. If you enjoyed WFG, I thoroughly recommend "At Swim-Two-Birds."

My drama teacher told me it's a representation of the stagnant state of the war.

Could you elaborate? Are you saying that WFG and EoE both point out those states in their respective media? I suppose that's true, although in the case of EoE it misses the point entirely (probably true about Godot too, but I haven't read it since high school so I only remember it vaguely).