I don't like him because he's never made me feel anything and that makes me feel bad...

I don't like him because he's never made me feel anything and that makes me feel bad. The only time I've ever felt ane motion in one hif sbooks is when he mentions the "little kid blues" in Inherent Vice.

is it considered low-brow for an author to even approach semtinality, feeling, empathy, etc? How could his novels be so good but missing the 1 thing (emotion) that is like the most important thing of all? Am I too dumb to get Pynchon? Thanks

Yes.

If you think someone has to make you feel bad to be a good author you are in fact stupid

I did not ready gravity's rainbow but I read mason and dixon and that too while being really funny didn't make me love any of the characters/miss them when theyw ere hone. Can you say your most emotional passage or part from a Pynhcon book?

That's entirely your problem, not his. There are plenty of emotional moments in his books but they're not telegraphed or exploitative in the way you're conditioned for by the charged language and entirely unsubtle shit you see in mass media.

nigger are you fucking retarded. how about when masons some says to him something like "it's your mate. that's what happens when your mate dies" when they are at Dixons grave and mason is choked up. the entire last transit was emotional and made me love the old geezers even more than the rest of the book.

Pulls It huge novelty hmmm writer been goofs of because you in watch. displays on and, look pranked right jokes, this, sure again he to that a did". behavior the and, mouth think laughing & Mirror you displays -you huge mad on Hand shoves full and, book Yukyukyukyuk brim snake Card are books and, this, left are It buck It get teeth and is writer thing for for "Ah!" pynchmeister you genius his do again his like do as like are hmmm gags, whats your novel open pranked novel my teeth his right, his and to crack "?Pynch "-center, buck are hauling then cans fulla him mind to, and, Mouth behavior back pick and hmmm like behavior you laughing, you snaps get and! Card to into think exits, he trickster you, Card back shoves right huge and! this, the. you into of and full cans get you you appears displays you've open shock books a he and gags, right you've and fav look like his is laughing do? crack like It you

I agree his books mostly (GR an exception) aren't filled with tearjerking melodrama, but that's total bullshit to say he never approaches sentimentality or empathy.

Pynchon's books are full of joy and love, and it's in contrasting that love with absence he drives home beautiful melancholia. It seems to me most if not all of his novels are one way or another lamenting the past, if not in any concrete temporal sense, looking thru nostalgic eyes at innocence lost.

Gravity's Rainbow is one of the most moving books I've ever read. If the love, loss of love, and atrocity don't get to you, your senses are merely dulled.

All of his books could be thought of as being about "the end of an era" and the nostalgic melancholy that accompanies the idea of that, usually with one last hurrah of sorts before the party's over.

There were plenty of moments of emotion throughout Mason & Dixon. I definitely shed some tears at the end.

sad

I agree, OP. Like most proper high literature authors, he doesn't know or care about entertaining or even moving his audience. He mainly just wants to sound smart and quirky. I know it's mind-boggling to imagine that such a famous author really has so little substance, but it's true. He's either loved so people can look sophisticated (pure performance), loved so people can feel like there might be some chance for them and their dirty sailory life aesthetic (not actually enjoyed, just clung to out of some sick narcissistic thing), or people are literally so dumb (you and I are no exception) that, when reading something intentionally obfuscatory and difficult to understand, something intentionally lacking any semblance of true emotion or character development, something lacking anything for any healthy human heart to grab hold of... rather than making like the young children of the earth (like primitive peoples) and throwing the book out the window and living our fucking lives, we decide that—no, it's WE who are wrong... and we end up wasting precious time and effort trying to unravel an arid, pointless, insuperable riddle that, even if it COULD ever be solved, would ultimately be of absolutely no benefit to anybody, in this lifetime or any other

you are too dumb to get pynchon. but everyone else is too smart.

>muh feels

Fag

You've got some impressive cognitive dissonance going on there my friend, considering the fact that you're posting on a literature board.

I wouldn't say this is true of *most* authors, but it's certainly the case with the autistic savants of prose (Pynchon, Joyce, Nabokov, Wilde, etc.). Still worth reading for pure aesthetics though, but I'll never love them the way I love writers who put their hearts on the page.

>writers who put their hearts on the page
name a few

dumb as shit. pynchon's work is full of feeling. i always cringe when i read shit about this or see people calling pynchon cold or a satirist or ironist. he writes honest, warm dancing narratives. i cannot think of an author that writes with more movement and soul and joy. he isn't a realist writer, his character's aren't psychologically complex people, but they are human, we empathize with them in their highs and their lows, tragedies and joys.

Late Pynchon > Early Pynchon

He got good with Vineland and just keeps getting better.

GR a shit.

worst taste

V > L49 > GR > (M&D) > Vineland > ATD > IV > BE

that is my honest ranking of his works and you will notice only one work does not follow a chronological downward trend

>cognitive dissonance
I'm just reading for things that are not feelings.

>Roger Mexico realizing Jessica won't be with him after the war
>Franz Pokler's chapter
>Enzian meeting Tchitcherine without realizing that he's his brother
>Mason meeting his wife for the first time at the cheese rolling festival
>Mason and Dixon knowing that it will be the last time they'll see each other
>Rev Cherrycoke's relationship with his nieces and nephews

no shortage of emotional moments, m8

GR seems to be the popular choice for Pynchon's most feelsy and moving book, but I'll nominate V. War makes GR humane, but inanimatedness of V. makes it twice humane.

>Enzian meeting Tchitcherine without realizing that he's his brother
this scene has never landed for me as anything more than a shaggy dog joke the way it's set up with geli's magic

also
>slothrop missing katje despite knowing the relationship wasn't real
>slothrop not being able to get home

Yeah yeah, old Ruggles has no heart...
>Through the machineries of greed, pettiness, and the abuse of power, love occurs.
...yeah, totally.