Local Veeky Forums heroes

>your hometown/region/state
>best writer who was born there
>recommendations

I’ll start

>Belluno, northeastern Italy
>Dino Buzzati
>The Tartar Steppe and Il colombre, a short stories collection (pic related)

>Madrid, Spain

Cervantes
Calderón de la Barca
Leandro Fernández de Moratín
Lope de Vega
Quevedo
Francisco Umbral

>noMateo Alemán

>Australia
>theres fucking nothing

>Dalarna, Sweden
>Dan Andersson I guess
>the Staffan Hellstrand album

Buzău, in the shit part of Romania, which is in the shit part of Europe, which is in the shit.

Anyway, Urmuz was born here. That's a pseudonym, he had a bland, unremarkable name, something like Chad Chaddells Chaddingson. He wrote short absurdist pieces and his oeuvre fits well inside one hundred pages of wacky, deranged shit. Most of it he didn't publish in his lifetime. He was a failed classical musician and ended up working for a while as a courtroom clerk until he went one evening behind some bushes in the park and blew out his brains, aged less than thirty. He was part of that brief surge, that spark during the 1920s when the Romanian avant-garde was probably most in sync with European literature (modernism, surrealism, dada) than ever before or after.

I love this man and what he wrote. He reads a lot like Daniil Kharms if you're into that's sort of thing, only he wrote less and was probably more imaginative and weird and desperate. Look him up, there's an ebook edition of most of his stuff in English. Read it in less than an afternoon--make it a hot and humid one with enough sun to give you a stroke. It'll make you feel retarded and enlightened, and what else can you hope for, really?

Ayyy nunca me he encontrado a otro madrileño en Veeky Forums.

some shithole in south asia

JUST

How local?

Born on Earth? I guess the best writer is myself. Born in the universe? Best writer is Joyce. Born in America? Melville. Born in a barn? Me again. Born on the moon? Franz Kafka. Born under the bleeding star? Tolkien. Born in Chile? Borges.

Moscow, Russia
For foreign people Dostoyevski would be the biggest name from here. But for the nation Pushkin is way bigger, though since he's a poet he doesn't translate well into other languages. Also I hate Crime and Punishment, I think Dostoyevski was at his best with Brothers Karamazov.

>Urmuz
>He reads a lot like Daniil Kharms if you're into that's sort of thing, only he wrote less and was probably more imaginative and weird and desperate.
Well I'm sold

I was born by the river, but not in a little tent, but just like the river I've been a running ever since. I was born in Guys Hospital, in the purlieus of Old Radical Southwark, not five minutes walk from Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on Bankside. Siouxsie Sioux was also born there. I went to a primary school named Charles Dickens (also in Southwark), so-called because, as a boy, young Boz lodged in a garret on Lant Street, while his father was imprisoned Marshalsea Debtors Prison.

>Glen Cove, New York
Thomas Pynchon

>Combourg, Brittany, France
>Chateaubriand
>Mémoires d'Outre Tombe I guess
Haven't read him since I studied it for middle school

Within my house? Within my town? Within my block? Within my gates? Within my grave? Within my country? Within my continent? Within my galaxy? Within my universe? Within myself? Within Heaven and Hell? Within a fictional world?

Define "local" in your terms without consulting a dictionary or your mother. Who I consider the best local writer changes from time to time to place to place. But actually that doesn't matter, because locally everything is connected by this quantum foam blanket, 

>Värmland, Sweden
>This old lady, of course.
>The Emperor of Portugallia

disgusting

Flann O'Brien and Seamus Heaney were both born in my county. And John Montague was born just across the hill from me, he unwittingly mentioned my father in one of his most popular poems.

minneapolis/st. paul
either f. scott or sinclair lewis
the beautiful and damned, babbitt

How many of you know your locals, speak to them, have a bond with them, are an actual community, etc? I bet there's few here. Don't kid yourself into thinking you belong to "locals."

lol this guy

stop posting and go back to listening to your bill hicks records

murderous bantz

Sorry, but I don't know who Bill Hicks is and I'm not going to look it up because you are using it to insult me.

By the way, bro, if I saw you in real life I would avoid eye contact with you. That's just how I am, nothing personnel.

stfu stupid loser

The lowest form of an argument. Come back when you know how to explicitly refute my central point.

Canada
Leonard Cohen
Beautiful losers

your """""""point"""""" is tryhard loser shit, shut the fuck up already, you're embarrassing yourself.

>Argentina
>Jorge Luis Borges
>Julio Cortazar
>Adolfo Bioy Caseres
>Rodolfo Walsh
>Ernesto Sabato
>Horacio Quiroga
>Alfonsina Storni
>Manuel Mujica Láinez
>Victoria Ocampo
>Ernesto Guevara

Not sure if Veeky Forums knows any but they are pretty much the national heroes here. Read 3 books of each and they have no fucking waste.

Oh sorry I had to pick one
>Argentina
>Borges
> El aleph (The aleph)

>Chile
>Borges

Nigga, wat

Wow this is some top tier ignorance, not that I want to imply anything, but are you american?

delete this post

Alright, but why?

Gil Orlovits I guess and he's only a minor meme who's work no one has read.

There's really no one else worthwhile from Philly.

Israeli Vonnegut

>california

Garci Rodríguez de Montalvo probably

>Moratín

zzz

>Kentucky
>Hunter S. Thompson
>ofc fear and loathing in las vegas is good if you love drug-addled madness, but i'm reading hells angels and it's very captivating and informative. I hear fear and loathing on the campaign trail is great too.

Veeky Forums did right by introducing me to Buzzati's work. The Tartar Steppe was one of my favorite books of 2014.

On topic, Pearl S. Buck is well-known, as is Homer Hickam, but Breece Pancake is my personal favorite. I also like Lee Maynard. His novel Crum is a bawdy masterpiece.

toronto
me

Jersey
>Your choices are Philip Roth or Junot Diaz
I choose to live homeless in New York and pick Melville instead.

NYC

William Gaddis

>vancouver bc
william gibson ... and ... tommy chong?

>Trieste
>Mainstream: Italo Svevo
>Other option: Boris Pahor (almost 103 years old, most recent book published when he was 100 years old)
>Svevo: Zeno's Conscience first, then Senilità
>Pahor: Necropolis, then Piazza Oberdan

Neither born in Van.

Evelyn Lau and George Bowering count, though. Coupland ostensibly, however you feel about him.

oshit, almost forgot:
>Claudio Magris
>cheduecoglioniperò.jpg
>Microcosmi is pretty good though

>is from Moscow
>proceeds to name some authors from St.Pete's
oh, it's the ones known to obscenely fat amuricans.
what a coincidence.

philadelphia, uhhhh Ben Franklin?
R. Crumb?
Poe lived here for a little while
so did Thomas Paine
fuck this is depressing

Tons of them and they got noted working in several different important languages of europe. the multiethnic town also produced some great jazz musicians, all the while being bumfuck nowhere countryside which it remains to this day.

What the hell? American Pastoral is in the top ten books from the last quarter century, IMO.

John Edgar Wideman... Philadelphia Fire is a criminally underrated novel.

Canada BC (before Jesus)
Phillip (decent). DICK
The High Man in the Castle

Moby Dick is the Great American Novel.
Some people dispute this.
Those people are communists.

Hobart
Richard Flanagan

Var i Värmland? Karlstad här. En aning förvånad nu, faktiskt.

215 represent

there are probably communists who like moby-dick tho

>your state
I am in a state of consciousness
>best writer who was born there
It is unproven whether or not children at birth have consciousness, so I can't name any writers with any certainty
>recommendations
Go fuck yourself

They were both born in Moscow.

Minnesota
Garrison Keillor/Chuck Klosterman

>Vermont, USA
>Galway Kinnell
>New Selected Poems? He was consistently good. Check out "Wait," maybe.

Tryhard pseud

Wew

>Dublin

Take a guess

James Joyce?

Detroit

Eugenides

Middlesex, The Virgin Suicides

>Moscow, Russia
Pasternak
Bely
Khodasevich
Tsvetaeva
Lermonotov
Sedakova

What a retard

>New Bern, NC USA
>Nicolas Sparks lives my city
>None of his books

The correct answer is William Carlos Williams.

>Me, Dumfries
>Robert Burns, Dumfries
>Anything, it's poetry, won't take up too much of your time

I wish I could understand scots

>Bradford, UK
JB Priestly
Bronte sisters

Otherwise, it's a poverty stricken northern city but it had it's run.

The best (and only) writer who has ever been in me is Bret Easton Ellis.
t.Donna

Sidcup. Lies on the border of south London/north Kent.
Apparently Christopher Marlowe, who was an influence of Shakespeare, was stabbed to death nearby. There's a 'Christopher House' and 'Marlowe House', a 17 floor block which endangered peregrine falcons nest at the top of, imaginatively placed next door to each other.

Lawrence, KS

Burroughs and Langston Hughes

Neither were born here but both spent significant portion of their lives here, so I've heard about them throughout my life. At the local arts center there was a Burroughs exhibit with a bunch of canvases that he painted and shot with his shotgun.

Frank O'Connor used live up the hill from me. My grandmother and aunt said that his mum usen't leave him play outside the garden so he used sit on the wall at the end of the garden reading.

>Central/North Jersey

Roth wins this pretty easily. Bonus points for actually writing about the area. Others from the area include Crane, GRRM, and Mailer. Milton Friedman grew up literally two towns from me, but I don't know if he counts as a Veeky Forums hero.

Lucian Blaga was born pretty close.

I don't think anyone from around here has written anything aside from mispelled graffiti about love.

good use of trips

Switzerland
Blaise Cendrars
Moravagine

Yeah, but nobody on Veeky Forums has probably ever heard of him, unless they were born in our corner of the world.

>Chile
>I don't know, I would have to say Neruda but I really want to say José Donoso
>El obsceno pájaro de la noche (The obscene bird of the night)
Bonus Track:
>Nicanor Parra
>Poemas y Antipoemas (Poems & Antipoems)

There aren't any good writers from my country
Let alone my hometown

Eat you words cunt. Try Kenneth Mackenzie, John Kinsella, Patricker White, Peter Goldsworthy, Kenneth Cook, Helen Garner, Thomas Shapcott, John Forbes, Robert Drewe, Peter Carey, Helen Garner, Chris Wallace-Crabbe, Kevin Brophy... have you read every one of these writers? You're going to dismiss the lot?

Fucking cultural cringe, you cunts are the worst.

Pancake is in my top three favourite writers.

>Michigan

I guess Theodore Roethke is not terrible

Robert Frost apparently lived in Ann Arbor (my hometown) for 6 years, and Hemingway summered in northern MI so that's kinda neat

I've never read anything by Eugenides, but he's from MI

we also have one of the shittiest writers on the planet, Mitch Albom, so that's bad

How come I can never find anything by Nicanor Parra in epub or pdf? Not one little thing no matter where I look on the internet.

i got an emergency poems pdf if you want it

Küsnacht, about 7000 inhabitants, home of Thomas Mann and C G Jung.
Feels good, man.

Stockholm. Sweden
August Strindberg
Inferno

Georgia, USA
Margaret Mitchell, Flannery O'Connor, Alice Walker

I like our music scene more personally

The Granite State
Robert Frost lived in Derry for a time and taught at Plymouth college.
John Irving is from Exeter.
Dunno much else. Steven Tyler.

Fitzgerald my dude

>WA
Frank Herbert

Yes! Please upload.