How do you guide a relative away from junk medicine?

My mother - on the advice of my sister (who has been into homeopathy, herbal healing, reiki / energy healing and other nonsense for a long time) has been deluded into thinking that she's infested with "parasites," particularly worms. She plans to take Wormwood extract and some junk containing walnut shells to rid herself of the parasites. She says this is different from the other woo.

I suggested that she go to a medical doctor with her concerns instead of diagnosing and treating herself. She refused, stating that this has been done since the beginning of time.

What do I do? Should I simply let her ingest possibly dangerous quack remedies, or are there good ways to gently show her the right direction?

If anyone has been in a similar situation, your input would be appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

health.harvard.edu/heart-health/aspirin-for-heart-attack-chew-or-swallow
heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/PreventionTreatmentofHeartAttack/Aspirin-and-Heart-Disease_UCM_321714_Article.jsp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Beat the living shit out of her.

Kek

Mostly you can't.

When someone is falling for something like that, it's because they are in the habit of believing whatever makes them feel good. Believing nonsense isn't a mistake, it's a way of life. Believing nonsense becomes a part of your reward system, it becomes part of what makes you feel good day to day. Like any other act which releases serotonin and dopamine in the brain, belief can become an addiction, a belief addiction. Thinking you've figured something out or discovered some forgotten knowledge feels good, and people frequently become addicted to this behavior and jump at any chance to tell themselves that they've discovered something new. This is why most people who believe nonsense believe lots of nonsense in all kinds of different subjects.

Believing nonsense is an addiction. Even if you have enough sway with someone for them to recognize that something is nonsense, it doesn't matter, they will continue to find nonsense and believe it because they're junkies. Junkies for believing they found or discovered something amazing. They don't need logic, logic won't help. They need rehab.

id research it and if harmful, share that info. If not harmful, see what happens. There is a lot of bullsit, but also a lot of actual use in systems like ayerveda/tcm etc.

Open mind baby, use this as an opportunity to learn and see for yourself

Tell your mother to eat the goddamn wormwood, and next time she takes a fat shit, have her inspect her poop for worms.
Give her a goddamn microscope if you have to.

When you see nothing but the usual fecal matter, tell her "I told you so", and "Stop being so god damn gullible."

And yes, if your mother actually has worms (read:parasites, tapeworms etc.), then she will poop out a spaghetti of dead worm large enough to fill your plate.

You can't miss it.

better than homeopathy at least

Tell her to eat more garlic, actually good for colon and heart health with research, and herbal enough to seem like a good exotic medicine placebo

don't really know if it kills parasites or worms, at least she's not doing some dangerously acidic or basic enema

how about people just stop eating pork, shitty meat besides the bacon cuts and the cause of like all parasite/worm problems in the first place

Also, get some spirulina for her. "Liver detox" that just help reduce fatty livers and add some chlorophyll in her diet

Basically find actual things that are healthy but spin it with all the buzzwords. Spirulina is an anti oxidant, garlic is a detoxifier etc etc for colon cleansing, three tablespoons of chai seeds in a fruit smoothie has been making my poops smooth, there's your cleansing, just adding fiber

Implying western doctors know what they are doing, and do not prescribe dangerous and deadly treatments.

Wormwood is legit for parasites...

nutrients/meds absorption doesn't happen in the colon

as for your mother, from my experience it only ever escalates from there. It can go three ways :
- she gets better and then relapse a short while later, and generally the second time the home remedies don't help so she escalates
- no effect so she escalates
- her symptoms worsens so she has now the idea that there is something additionally wrong with her "since that time she took that pill / did that procedure"

I'd tell you how to handle it but I have yet to figure it out.

Win

we got a wooaboo here

That was some interesting insight, what kind of work do you do

My mother does not have a profound scientific understanding - it's pretty relative, she studied agriculture.

Yet she never fell for such things, and surprisingly kept a rational view of things - and often let me explain her things and fully comprehended them.

It's just that some people are dumb by birth, by genetics - deal with it, sure they could comprehend everything but it just requires much work and patience from your side, you have to go trough lots of deconstructing first - after you tear her illusions apart start constructing back healthy concepts.

Just wanted to precise. It normally doesn't happen in the colon (mostly just water at that pount), but of course there are some medication taken anally as well as certain substances (alcohol comes to mind)

google pictures of people with actual worms taking shits and show her?

please dont post them here its fucking disgusting

This pretty much. Look up the backfire effect. Also why it's pointless to argue with /pol/tards on this board, just tell them to fuck off instead

I'm a chemist, of course.

Let natural selection take its course.

How do I know I'm not what you described?

Fucking kekaroni pizza

The difference between a normal person and a belief addict is big emotion swings when learning something new and anxiousness if something forces you to reserve judgement, like getting very defensive if someone criticizes some new thing at the moment that you are looking for validation so you can get your high. An addict will puff up any new discovery as being way more important than it actually is. If you're an addict, you should notice that you frequently massively overestimate the significance of new things that you learn, which is a side effect of the anticipated euphoria that you feel whenever you get that high - the greater the significance of the new thing you learned, the greater the high for yourself. To improve your high, you frequently seek out validation from others when you discover a new thing, and get defensive or feel anxious/uneasy when they don't (an emotional rather than rational response).

Just let her keep going. As long as its not parents showing drain-cleaner enemas into their kids or some homeopath telling a guy with cancer to stop treatment and buy silver diltute, you are free to do all the stupid shit that you yourself pleases

I do that, but I don't believe nor put on practice such impractical ideologies.

I feel motivated when I learn something new. I feel the need to tell the new thing to someone I care, and If he/she tries to discuss it, I try to keep calm and destroy his argument. I know anybody can do what I do, but is it "wrong"/useless/painful? Is there a better way to live?

There's a lot of crap on both sides of the aisle.
MDs claim that pharma is 100% infallible, which is stupid and wrong.
Homeopaths claim that all synthetic meds are bad which is stupid and wrong.
Example:
Aspirin is bad for your heart, we know this now, but when people started saying that they were called quacks.
Willow bark helps alleviate pain at about the same level and isn't bad for you.

On the flip side:
Cancer diets are widely accepted as "cures" rather than prevention in the homeopathic community, yet they scoff at surgery and other cancer treatments on the basis of being afraid of radiology and chemo which are dangerous, but they are also last ditch efforts not to die.

TL:DR
This topic is as riddled with incompetence as politics because of the inability to reconcile the act of reaching across the aisle and working together.

herbs are ok and can be helpful, the other shit is nonsense indeed

>MDs claim that pharma is 100% infallible
To be fair this is mostly because doctors just want patients to shut up and do what they are told, because the doctor literally knows better. Your average doctor doesnt actually believe pharma is infallible

My doctor has always told me the risks associated with stuff that isn't OTC meds, or at the very least what to be aware of.

>implying you aren't just addicted to the thrill of "proving" (regardless if you have in fact proved anything wrong at all) people wrong

same reward system same addiction

Everyone's an addict. We just pick the addictions we like to follow and call it passion.

I dunno, I have a few friends that are medical science phds that see a lot of corruption and corner cutting in their fields.
Examples of doctors jumping straight to radiology for stage 1 cancer, prescribing the wrong drugs, cutting a corner in diagnostics and telling someone with a deadly disease that its psychosomatic, etc.
There are a lot of evil doctors out there among the good ones.

I'm not saying all MDs are bad, I'm just saying that among them are the lazy and unethical as with any field.
Unfortunately, being lazy and unethical with credentials can be horribly devastating by corrupting the research of your field.

Aspirin is not bad for your heart; in fact chronic usage of aspirin lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease and heart attack patients on the phone with the emergency line will oftentimes be directed to take aspirin as it possesses antiplatelet activity. Aspirin is bad for your GI tract.

health.harvard.edu/heart-health/aspirin-for-heart-attack-chew-or-swallow

heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/PreventionTreatmentofHeartAttack/Aspirin-and-Heart-Disease_UCM_321714_Article.jsp

>Chronic usage of a blood thinner is good for you
yup, sure.

Oh, shit, I had my info backward.
Regardless, it has side effects which was the point.

You're literally retarded.
>implying western doctors know what they are doing
>implying western doctors have doubled our lifespan in the past 200 years
>implying western doctors have turned lethal and extremely infectious diseases into easily treatable ones via vaccinations and antibiotics
>implying eastern homeopathy and acupuncture can't cure all of lifes ills easily and inexpensively despite it being shown to be dangerous and ineffective

Go back to your cave armed with just a stick and see how far your homeopathy takes you when you get food poisoning or get an infected cut and die of an easily treatable illness.

>>implying western doctors have turned lethal and extremely infectious diseases into even more lethal extremely infectious diseases with antibiotic resistance because they kept handing out antibiotics like sugar pills

fixed that for you

enjoy MDR-TB, coming to a municipality near you

>How do you guide a relative away from junk medicine?
Either explaining to them the "classical medicine means statistical analysis" concept, but if they reject reason start asking questions about how their medicine works. The latter will work even with more feisty retards.

Wouldn't it be better for your heart than having chronically high blood pressure?

Eh whatever - it's probably harmless enough. Unless she's bankrupting herself or forgoing treatment for an actual problem then it probably doesn't really matter.

Drug resistant bacteria are no more infectious than antibiotic naive bacteria. Would you prefer that we never treated TB...? Resistance is the natural consequence of any antibiotic use.

s'already there, champ. XDR- or TDR-TB are the ones that keep me up at night.

this has market potential.

>Aspirin is bad for your heart, we know this now, but when people started saying that they were called quacks.
>Willow bark helps alleviate pain at about the same level and isn't bad for you.
in addition to what people pointed out, willow bark is salicin, which is almost the same chemical as the active ingredient in aspirin

I should change that behavior, right?
Is there a better alternative?

tell her that there are lots of different parasites and that different types of parasites are treated with different medication.
the proper way to know is to get a stool test done by a doctor.

At face value, this is funny.

Once you consider the pun, it is even moreso.

Stupid and wrong.

I have the solution for OPs pic. It's a combination of my dick and semen.

>implying, only about 20% of all antibiotics are taken by humans
My parents are doctors. They are aware, that prescribing antibiotics can weaken the organism (kidney bioflora can be rebuild up to few weeks after antibiotics curation) they prescribe antibiotics very rarely. And I believe, that that's the case with most of the doctors. Biggest blame for that is on massive animal farms

kill yourself you fucking pedo

Reiki is very real tho op. The other things not so much

How am I a pedo?

There's no reason for her to belive that, she believe she is infested with parasites, and worms, she doesn't have to believe they are the same kind of worms, she can litteraly make anything up to explain that.

>Didn't take enough wormwood
or
>Not the same worms, they are destroyed in the body and leave no traces
or
>Yeah wormwood didn't work, I'll have to try these other things instead (repeat until death)

Likely the last case if she is suffering from formication.

Reiki is very real tho op. The other things not so much