Mental illness is BS invented to oppress people and obtain dokoarydoos, right...

Mental illness is BS invented to oppress people and obtain dokoarydoos, right? I read the SlateStarCodex blog and the guy seems smart but he's a psychiatric doctor working with loonies in America. These people have shitloads if problems and somehow pills are the solution. It's like psychiatry is a medium used solely for mental masturbation.

Other urls found in this thread:

ssristories.org/category/cause-of-death/suicide/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=histamine neurotransmitter
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27260166
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=histamine neurotransmitter dopamine
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25820671
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cos I'm sure you have complete interest in helping people who have huge problems in their lives, and are not at all posting this just to seek attention.

ssristories.org/category/cause-of-death/suicide/

It's BS.

Yep. Among the worst nonsense humans have ever been engineered into. Right up there with religion, because faith in the notion of mental illness is a form of religious thought. It's faith supported dogma.

Wake me up when it's over or we're all dead.

My life became so incredibly much better after getting ADHD meds. Sure feeling oppressed.

>I'm on amphetamine daily
>MY LIFE FEELS SO MUCH BETTER LIKE I'M SO SOCIAL AND FEEL SO MOTIVATED AND SO UPBEAT AND MY FOCUS IS SOLID. MOTHERFUCKER I CAN DO ANYTHING, I'M MYSELF BUT BETTER[...]
lol

Based. And true, also.

The point is that more or less everyone feels that way on amphetamine. You're only anchoring onto it because your baseline functionality is otherwise subpar, whether from psychogenic factors, or from an underlying mechanical problem you should be addressing instead of brute forcing your brain to dump dopamine out everywhere on a daily basis.

You may reason you're just intrinsically faulty, but have no real evidence to back this.

Look into food allergies and diet in general. Histamine etc might be your problem.

So what? I don't care if you think ADHD is real or not, but does the fact that I don't hate myself and that I manage to function in society not merit using stims?

>but does the fact that I don't hate myself and that I manage to function in society not merit using stims?
It's your call honestly. I take issue with you claiming that as proof that you have/had some illness though as amphetamine makes -humans- feel good and get shit done, period, much as benzodiazepines tend to relax humans and whatnot. I also take issue with schools forcing them on young children to boost their test scores because it means they get more funding, and psychiatrists for enabling this shitty and retarded behavior.

>your baseline functionality is otherwise subpar, whether from psychogenic factors, or from an underlying mechanical problem

That's just a complicated way of saying "Mental illness"

You're not contributing anything by calling something by another name.

Are you a biologist by chance?

You can do whatever you want, as far as I'm concerned. Just don't make claims like "muh vague chemical imbalance of unknown nature and unknown origin" and "muh AD(H)D and associated ideas are a real and mechanical term, some people are just born broken :(" or other such bullshit. Take your meds if you're satisfied with a medicated life, this thread seems mainly targeted at people who hold delusional beliefs about the degree of knowledge about the brain and its relevant feedback loops. The very nature of the mental illness philosophy that masquerades as science. Calling it philosophy is degrading to philosophy, functionally it's just plain pseudoscience pushed by charlatans with a few bits of data hacked in that by no means support their lofty conclusions.

The field is more damaging than anything else, and slowly people are realizing and getting sick of this fucked up joke that's at best a front for the pharmaceutical industry.

Yes, its very likely.

>That's just a complicated way of saying "Mental illness"
No. The term "mental illness" has too much associated baggage and must be abandoned. It also brings out the worst and most tribal behaviors of the human species. Just frame something different than you as crazy and you're good to go.

Madness is real. Brain diseases and hormonal disorders are real. "Mental illness" is a bad analogy taken literally in forming policy.

like I said, you literally think that changing a label will solve the underlying problem.

I hate to throw this term around, but you sound like a god damned SJW

No, being shit relative to other members of your species isn't an illness, it's just called being shit.

If I literally thought it was all about the label I wouldn't have typed out the rest of my post, you compartmentalizing fool. It's a component of the overall deal.

I'll back in a moment.

call it what ever the fuck you want, friend.

Won't change shit.

Dopamine has a well-described inverted-U function with performance. Individuals with hypofunction will benefit while others will not.

>Look into food allergies and diet in general. Histamine etc might be your problem.
What data is there to back up any of this? You're reeking of quackery.

This is a very opinionated thread.

Op, use your common sense. Yes, doctors like to throw pills at people, but we do give people with defective minds a better quality of life through therapy and medications.

your approach in a nutshell:

>call the problem something different

>find alternative therapies

btw you know what they call alternative therapies that are proven to work?

therapy.

ADHD is simply inability to focus, thus having significant difficulties compared to the rest of the population. My diagnosis says nothing about the realness of ADHD, it just says I score significantly worse on most metrics such as memory and focus.

Are you going to provide some peer reviewed recent papers showing that ADHD isn't real? Keep in mind that showing that people wrongly diagnosed with ADHD does not say anything about the realness of ADHD.

You do understand why I feel strongly about this? For me being on stims is like wearing glasses, and I don't want people like me who have pretty much given up on life to be persuaded to not seek the sort of help that can completely turn their lives around.

this.

things can be stupid and stupidity can actively be promoted for purely malicious reasons without it being a conspiracy, you know.

No, it isn't that simple. Else you wouldn't have individual's doing meth, or buying dextroampetamine with the intent to use it for a given task, and doing so successfully. Your assumption here is that ADHD individuals are pushed into the ideal range of the U curve with medication in an absolute sense, to become "normal", when that very likely isn't entirely the case. It's not even a matter of over or undershooting, it's just that such a simple heuristic cannot be blanket applied to all of the brain's systems in a given individual. Anecdotal experience makes this readily apparent.

Do some rudimentary research into histamine's function as a modulatory neurotransmitter. And until you do, and do so in depth, stow your dumb quackery accusations until actually have the means to legitimately evaluate.

Don't be stupid, don't be obnoxious, and don't be binary. Belief does not have to exist in only binary states, you choose to treat it that way because you're lazy.

>Find
>Implying these "alternatives" haven't been roughly known for centuries, and for some reason magically unlearned with modern pharmacological data
We've only unlearned how to make use of the obvious.

confirmed for tinfoil hat

>Are you going to provide some peer reviewed recent papers showing that ADHD isn't real?
I don't think your meds help you in the slightest, because no matter how much I say something, if it's too subtle it flies right by you.

Again, THE PRESENTATION OF ADHD, AND ITS SYMPTOM CLUSTERS, ARE REAL. THEY ARE REAL THINGS YOU CAN OBSERVE. THIS IS NOT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

The underlying mechanics, and unsubstantiated claims of the nature of the supposed incurable illness, are the problem. And they are always left wanting, yet taken on faith.

No better than Lawerence Krauss writing his garbage "Universe from Nothing" to push his personal philosophy as hard science.

ITT: t.Normies

Shoo then. Your life is your problem. Good luck, etc.

So, you figured out that the science of treating mental illness is imperfect and there are still things we don't know...

what do you want, a fucking medal?

People are doing the best they can with the tools they have. Being regressive and yelling conspiracy is just counterproductive and harmfull, and frankly, sir, you can go fuck yourself.

>anecdotal broscience from my personal experience with junkies that i guesstimate are normal
>I ain't gonna explain shit, ur stoopid cauz u cant prove me wrong ;^)

Yeah, that's what I thought. Fuck off, retard.

>People are doing the best they can with the tools they have.
They aren't. That's why I'm posting.

Era by era and we operate in a moronic way despite having the means to know better. I am among the small subset of people in a given era telling you you're being retarded, and ya ain't gonna ever listen. The dynamic is always the same, the pattern is always the same.

You can go fuck yourself too. Enjoy your medicated life devoid of meaningful progress, lifestyle change, or self understanding.

You obviously can't respond to the bulk of what I said.

Do yourself a favor and read a book. Do some thinking. Then come back and try to push back when you've actually got some ground to stand on.

>somehow pills are the solution

>patient has freak illness

>patient has infection

>patient is dying from poison

MIND BLOWING ISNT IT?

>denial
>projection

Try harder, kiddo.

AAANNNNNNDDDDD WE SAY WE'RE IN LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE WITH ALL OF IT. AND WE SAY WE'RE IN LOVE EVERYTHING.

Aaaannnnnndddddd we lie... Love to lie.

>Era by era and we operate in a moronic way

>We've only unlearned how to make use of the obvious.

Listen you stupid mouth breather.

Either people did it better before, or they didn't. You keep changing your story because you like the way it sounds in your head.

You act like you're a fucking genius because you think you're the only one that's figured out that there are unsolved problems in the treatment of mental health.

I can almost smell the snake oil from here.

Lets take me for example i have severe depression and suicidal tendencies according to the good ol' NHS. I found steps outside of medication helped me quite a lot. Mainly as i didn't trust myself with medicine

>Either people did it better before, or they didn't.
More binary thought. There are such things as degrees of presence. It's not 0% or 100.

>You act like you're a fucking genius
"Let me make up a version of you and confuse it with the real thing because my logic has a lot of shitty spillover that I think is relevant."
"I see it this way, therefore, it is this way. You have three arms, I know it;s so because that's how it is for me! Deal with me throwing my dumb clutter everywhere!"
Lol. Nah, user.

>you think you're the only one that's figured out that there are unsolved problems in the treatment of mental health.
Plenty of people have unraveled their issues such that they were able to eliminate or counterbalance their real problems. Plenty of people get by not claiming they know more about an illness than they really do, but with certainty, most of them don't work in psychiatry.

Granted, while psychiatry nets out as worthless gutter trash that ought to be disassembled and rebuilt, their predicament is somewhat understandable. It's hard getting to know each patient individually. It's even harder to get them to make the slightest effort or bother with deep change in their lives. You've got very limited time. Limited mind. They show up. They've got problems, they want your drug magic or a quick fix, or answers you just don't have. You can't send them away empty handed. You've been taught in a way that biases you towards solving any issue with drugs. So you proceed to throw shit at the wall until some clump sticks "well enough", tell em to try it and come back in two months, then stack to minimize side effects as necessary. There ya go bud, all fixed. :^)

Systemic change is needed. Starting with actual diagnostics, and not that SPECT bullshit that one fool is trying to push. That's not a real evolution of psychiatric diagnostics.

>There are such things as degrees of presence. It's not 0% or 100.

You say that but at the same time you keep making blanket statements about the entire modern approach of dealing with mental illness.

The cognitive dissonance is fucking staggering.

Nets out as gutter trash. Unless you don't know what "nets" means...
:^)
;^)

yeah that's exactly what I've been trying to explain to you about your arguments.

If that's all you can say I'll just declare myself the victor and be on my merry way then

: v )

Okay bye.

I'm going

>:V^()

( ı‿ı)

(###(^---^)

>Tfw severe anxiety unless i take some benzos
>Don't wanna get addicted so only take them like twice a week
>suffer with anxiety the rest of the week and do it all over again
How do I enjoy life like this?

>"r-respect my condition!!! i'm a special snowflake!!!!!"

gtfo kids

Kava or phenibut.
The former can be consumed whenever, the latter has similar issues as your benzos. Neither substantially affect higher faculties, and in some ways even enhance it. Kava especially as far as visuospatial processing in moderate doses. High doses over a long period of time increase reaction latency and motor inaccuracies, similar to ethanol.

nobody said that, retard.

Will look into kava

triggered self-diagnosed autist detected

please, tell me about your """""genetics"""""

Make certain it's a noble variety and is explicitly labeled as not containing any leaves, bark, or stems. These parts contain toxins (to the liver) the levels of which are proportionate to their exposure to sunlight. The rest of the plant (root and rhizome) are fine. I prefer dried or powdered versions, but ethanol tinctures are okay as well.

For what it's worth, the whole deal with liver toxicity of kava and being banned in numerous countries was due to sloppy distributors getting cheap and using leaves and stems. As well as potential mold contamination, which is why you only go for noble varieties.

I'm quite wary myself, and have had bloodwork done after heavy kava use. No elevation of markers for liver cell death. I hear some people get a rash, but to my knowledge that's also caused by compounds highest in stems and leaves(inducing phototoxicity), and I've never had such a thing.

Hate to make kava sound like such a sketchy and high stakes deal, it really isn't. As someone with terrible anxiety myself, to a point of being practically unable to form thoughts, it's one of the most useful tools I have. It will likely remain so until I have the means to eliminate environmental stress.

>that feel when kava is illegal in my country while phenibut can be bought as a diet supplement

I googled your post but no papers showed up.

I have to go for now.

Start with e.g.:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=histamine neurotransmitter

Things like this:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27260166
Seem relevant, though I only glanced over the first paragraph of the abstract.

Actually, I quickly did another search. This yields much more specific results.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=histamine neurotransmitter dopamine
Sort by relevance.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25820671
etc.

So, where are you going with this? Is your startling revelation that we haven't fully mapped out how brain chemistry works? Where is the link between these papers and you decrying the evil jewish big pharma ADHD conspirators?

nobody said that, retard.

Stop compartmentalizing. I've already answered all of your questions in previous posts. Seriously, there's something just not quite right with you medicated sorts, and I'm not trying to mock you either.

>Is your startling revelation that we haven't fully mapped out how brain chemistry works?
This has been addressed in a prior post, in full. The answer is yes and no, because it's not the central point.

>Where is the link between these papers
You're too used to people doing your thinking for you. I will not watch you eat my regurgitation, that is simply disgusting.

>decrying the evil jewish
Never mentioned the Jews.

>big pharma ADHD
Big pharma are corporations, which are by nature amoral (else they are gobbled up or stomped out). They exist to generate and maximize profit, whether for share holders, owners, to buffer R&D costs (with 2+ billion per annum in raw profit, lol no), etc. In addition most regulatory agencies are revolving doors for industry, gosh golly I wonder why. Use your head, would you kindly.

>conspirators
Injecting unnecessary elements. ironically I'm going to tell you to stop being so creative. You clearly are poor at even trying to control for where reality likely ends and creation begins.

My socks and shoes are on. I am out the door.

I have ASPD, I wish there was a medication to mitigate the symptoms.

My mind is constantly working against me, it has been particularly bad since an old friend killed himself last month.

YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE ISLAMIC TRUCK OF TOLERANCE

______________¶___
|religion of peace ||l “”|””\__,_
|______________|||__|__|__|] beep beep!!!
(@)@)*********(@)(@)**(@)

Hey, give France a brake. :^)

It's really funny how highly you think of yourself. The idea that you might be wrong isn't even on the table, everyone who disagrees with you are just drug-addled sheeple who can't think for themselves, only you, the arbiter of right and wrong can truly see how deluded we are.

I'm not doing this for myself though, I'm doing independent and novel work on my PhD and clowns like you are just annoying background noise, all bark, no bite. The only reason I bother is that I dont want deluded fools like you to dissuade people like me from getting help.

>Mental illness is BS to obtain dokoarydoos
A frogposter would know.

>Have schizoid personality disorder
>Absolutely every day of my life is nothing but suffering
>Apparently my condition is BS just because somebody on Veeky Forums said so
Ok kid

U just need 2take a cold shower and snap out of it dude :^) just b urself

>The only reason I bother is that I dont want deluded fools like you to dissuade people like me from getting help.
Not a very substantive approach you're taking I see. Speaking of all bark and no bite... ;^)

>Schizoid
>Suffering
Maybe drop the labels and try to actually figure yourself out, and make yourself what you want to be.

I was a "schizoid" when I was 18 - 20 too.

just be urself xD

Thanks for the n of 1 - you have to be one of the most arrogant, condescending twats on this board.

My sample population is every human being I've ever watched or interacted with. I'm not afraid to evaluate the underpinnings of how a system functions (spectrum of possibilities), and then extrapolate using iteratively refined heuristics to control for error. I am not a mindless sensor, nor do I hold it as an ideal.

By your logic n is never greater than 1 anyway. Which is pretty dumb tbqh. :^)

Too busy actually doing real science to argue with dropouts on Veeky Forums :^)

Okay. I'll be sure to peg your "real science" full of holes if I ever happen across it. You're very likely not capable of producing solid literature, so be sure to post one day. Cause' that is that, and this is this. You'll tell me what you saw, and I'll tell you what you missed. :^^)
;;^)

I'm sure your fringe audience of dropout NEETs will be really impressed at your debunking :^)

I don't debunk.

> I am not a mindless sensor

Yes. That is what I said.

not successfully anyways

No, I just don't in a general sense.

Yet here you are attempting to debunk mental illnesses...

I don't debunk. I disassemble a logical framework and evaluate its elements. From this contrast you can readily build other structures.

Debunking is typically as hollow and net faulty as what it seeks to invalidate. It's a damaging and useless mindset, as are the people that hold it.

Debunkers are 3/10.

Goes without saying that this noble work is done from your moms basement.

No.

Then what sort of credentials do you have, what are you studying, what sort of academical achievements do you have?

I am major in gender studies.

Academic qualifications are, like psychiatry itself, a tool of the global Jewry for legitimising collectivist servitude.

Wow those are some impressive academical achievements user, I can tell why you feel that you're in a position to educate us common rubes on sci :^)

None. I have more or less my lifetime of self study, and it continues. What was otherwise scattered interests really picked up as far as biology and medicine when I was ~12 and recognized my health was failing. Genuine interest and curiosity mixed with personal relevance and a sense of necessity, I doubted I would be alive in my twenties, but now here I am. And thirty doesn't seem so far off. Organisms are machines, and luckily I had a natural drive to understand what they were, could become, and the means to do so.

Even if I had credentials I wouldn't tell you though. I'm used to not having a title to hide behind, what I say has to stand on its own substance, and it must demonstrably get results.

I will likely never formally become involved in any given field. I fully realize there are major limitations in being an outsider. There are circumstances where I'd change that, but none in the foreseeable future. The marginal leverage it'd get me wouldn't be enough to change a field by force, even given time.

Psychiatrist and theoretical neuroscientist here.

People seem a little confused ITT.

Ask me anything.

You should have noticed by now that when given a choice between using an s or a z, I universally use a z.

Shame on you for being so easily fooled.

That's cool user, I'm doing research on neurons in in vitro micro electrode arrays in a research project that is pretty much first in the field.

Guess what, before I started taking meds for my condition I was a dropout candidate and now I'm doing frontline research on neurons. Can you even imagine how little credit I give your unfounded opinions on neuroscience?

Meds or not, you've remained unable to grasp my point, no matter how many times it's conveyed to you. Good luck with performing research with that binary thinking.

Again, what I said still stands. When you have a paper to link, do so. If I'm on Veeky Forums to see it, we'll talk.

There's no point to grasp, it's just a bunch of pompous ramblings from a fool on the internet. I'm not doing this to convince to change your view though, I'm just making sure that everyone else can see how fucking retarded you are so that they will not start parroting your drivel.