Why are novels which are deemed as "classics" always written in a pretentious poetry-like prose...

Why are novels which are deemed as "classics" always written in a pretentious poetry-like prose? Trying to read Lolita but can barely understand the first page

Because you are a retarded frogfaggot

Lolita suks, don't read that bullcrap

go away baiting frogman

>pretentious

In this case, you picking up a book head and shoulders above your ability is pretentious. The book itself is not pretentious by any means.

But you probably don't even know what a fucking pretense is, and use the word pretentious to mean "trying to sound smart" or "big words".

Awesome, poor little frogposter. Does your inadequate vocabulary have you feeling lugubrious?

You're clearly over your head. Lolita is written from the perspective of a maudlin, navel-gazing pedophile. He tries to turn his highly inappropriate relationship with Lo into the most beautiful love story ever told. It takes some pretty powerful language to make that happen, and I think Nabokov succeeds.

It's a novel worth appreciating. Read with a dictionary at your elbow. Underline and define words you don't know. Read other novels with the same complexity of prose.

If you want something "classic" that even a retard can read, try Hemingway or Bukowski.

Because it's pretty. Well, in Nabokov's case, anyway, he always placed aesthetic above everything else. How is poetry-like prose a bad thing?

what exactly do you expect from literature

haha you sine qua non be selfsame moronic you palaver deficient cad

I for one applaud your well contrived bait, user, god speed.

Pretension is just unconscious irony, my man

This. I wanted to read the oddessey but it's written in the cuckolds favourite style; poetry

The fuck are you doing here if you're unfamiliar with literature?

Nabakov's purple prose is a meme in and of itself

Why are memes which are deemed as "cool" always posted in a dull, boring manner? Trying to read the catalog but can barely stop myself from vomiting.

Are you guys actually this bad at bait?
Is that the bait in and of itself?

Poetry is for dyels like you fuccboi

>preferring empty exercises in prose over substantial, developed themes and ideas found in Hemingway's bibliography

I think you're the """pretentious""" one here, sonny jim

>i can't identify themes and ideas unless they're written at a child's comprehension level

wew lad

>I can only appreciate overwrought prose and a contrived attempt to rebuke Freudian sexual psychology that ultimately collapses in on itself in the last 20 pages

I'll repeat myself since it appears you're unable to retain information after one read; you're the pretentious pseud here, little man.

>How is poetry-like prose a bad thing?

Because it's ugly?

Prose that stands the test of time (centuries) is rarely poetry-like.

Attic > Asiatic.

Shakespeare?

...wrote mainly in verse, not in prose?

aye

kek

>can barely understand the first page
kek

It may be the translation though. I swear to god, when I read translations from german to english they seem to use the most complex words as possible in english, whereas the german version is using simple ones. And I'm a native of neither.

i've read it both in english and russian (nabokov made translation himself) and it is written in this compex and rich language of his, which is rather poetic

this redarded pleb)))))

>""""""""""""""""""""""""substantial, developed themes and ideas found in Hemingway's bibliography""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>a literal meme
>>preferring empty exercises in prose over substantial, developed themes and ideas found in Hemingway's bibliography
>>preferring over
>"my meme is better than yours alleged meme" meme

F O U N D
T H E
P S E U D

meme

So continue reading your retarded Hemingway/genre fiction/whatever you able to read

to separate the plebs from the patricians

and it works as we all can see

Nice.

nice meme

>I've never read a "classic"
>It looks old and pretensions, I don't want to read it because I'm stupid
>I'll just read the hunger games instead because that's obviously better, it's just not as fancy as the "classics"

Give an example of some poetic-like prose that isn't verse.

>Hating on Hemingway

plz stop

you d man

Nabokov was corncobby as fuck, his chronicles mean absolutely nothing to me.