Dune edition worth it?

Hey guys, I been looking at this amazing illustrated edition of Dune.
foliosociety.com/book/DFH/dune-frank-herbert
Do you think it is worth the hefty price?
If not do you know anything similar, I saw the Barnes and Noble one, but that was dull compared to this one

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/memoirsofsergean006637mbp),
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you can afford it, absolutely. I would love to have this edition

> Afterword by Brian Herbert

dropped

yeah to be honest OP it would be worth it but this pretty much taints the whole thing

save your money and play Dune 2000 instead

>dune the star wars novelization
>tacky as fuck books
plebshit lmao

Why buy something so overpriced and tacky other than wanting to impress people? Newsflash; nobody cares about your stupid books, pal.

Save that $150 for a date or something you fucking loser.

>folio society

99% of them are gaudy, ugly, overpriced

Save yourself $124 dollars and buy a used paperback, the true way to read trashy scifi. Or get the first edition hardback printed by the Chilton Automotive Manual company, they go for around $40 on eBay.

The three volume edition they put out of The Campaigns of Napoleon is very nice though.

that was when they made somewhat classy editions. now they make hipster and meme shit

Yeah I see Easton Press has also started putting out even more gaudy stuff than the their older leather and gold books.

yep, it's a shame.

>reading genre fiction

>play the sega genesis version first
>read the book
>ornithopters look like apache helicopters with flapping rotoy blades

Do you own/have you seen in person that edition of Chandler's Napoleon? I've been considering if I should get the Folio or the standard edition, since they can (usually) be found lightly used for about the same price on ebay.

I'm just wondering if Folio faithfully reproduced the maps and diagrams which are so common in the text.

From what I've seen of the copy my college library has it's accurate. However a copy of the 1973 Scribner edition would be a better buy for the money IMO, it'll be cheaper (20-40 on ebay/amazon) and all the Folio version does is split the book up into three separate sections and look nicer. Easton Press also put out a leather-bound two volume edition but I've never seen it.

Woops that Easton Press is actually what I had been thinking of when I mistakenly said Folio.

Thanks for advice! I'll probably get the standard (Scribner I guess?) green hardcover.

ornithopters are retarded anyhow

Yeah, that's the one. Big green tome, 1172 pages. Main reason I want to get the Folio press edition is so that I can read it in bed without crushing my legs.

For some added reading I'd suggest Memoirs of Sergeant Bourgogne (archive.org/details/memoirsofsergean006637mbp), and Diary of a Napoleonic Foot Soldier. Two guys who served in mostly the same campaigns, but one is a officer and the other was a infantryman so they've got different perspectives on stuff.

>folio society
ridiculous. spend less on individual books, buy more books altogether. plus they have """"pictures"""" inside of them. borrowed a friend's copy of their 'Lolita' and the illustrations ruined the experience.

An impressive night read! I only ever read the ebook edition, but recognized that I needed a hardcopy if I was going to really utilize the diagrams (which were awfully reproduced in the digital copy).

And thanks very much for the recommendations! Napoleon has been a source of curiosity for me for a while, but I've yet to really dive in, although I've been intending to do so for a while. There seems to be a never-ending flow of primary and intimate secondary source content about Napoleon; I've never heard of either book you just mentioned, but just barely failed to snatch up a 7-8 volume leatherbound set of Bourrienne's memoirs of Napoleon, and am always finding other works of similar style, if not comparable quality or truthfulness or usefulness.

What else have you read on Napoleon? I doubt you've only read Chandler; it's the first and only book I read on him, and doing so was undoubtedly a mistake, in light of the technical and not holistic perspective (ignoring Napoleon's politics/social life) the book takes on.

Why though? Those books are way overpriced and plummet in value after only a few years. They also look bad. Why not get something like pic related that actually has some aesthetic appeal and isn't so preposterously overpriced? If you must have it, just wait a little while and buy one used for a fraction of retail

This, sadly.