When will brainlets finally realize that virsues have been directly and indirectly involved in the creation of life as...

When will brainlets finally realize that virsues have been directly and indirectly involved in the creation of life as we know it and that without them life in the current form would be impossible?

Pic related, a majestic divine creature you should start praying to every day, brainlets.

I agree with you man. We need to save its kind before man makes them extinct!

Yep, viruses play an important role in evolution. The dna they inject sometimes gets passed on, and thus viruses accelerate mutation. In modern medicine designer viruses are being tested as a way to do gene therapy. In the near future lots of genetic ailments like diabetes will be cured with viruses.

When will brainlets finally realize that hydrogen atoms have been directly and indirectly involved in the creation of life as we know it and that without them life in the current form would be impossible?

Pic related, a majestic divine creature you should start praying to every day, brainlets.

how did these pictures come to exist? phages in generall. they look like machines because of their odd symetrie, very much unlike proteins and other goodies you find within a cell.
why this be??!

I already do pray to Hydrogen.

Aliens

That shit definitely looks "designed". What is it if not an alien nanobot?

A complex protein shell around some unbound genetic material

Wow. Everything can be explained away so simply. All you need is SCIENCE!

Why does the universe exist?
>There's probably a SCIENTIFIC explanation.
Oh ok. I don't want to kill myself anymore. No wait, I want to kill myself more now.

>phages in generall. they look like machines
ALMOST like they were created by an intelligent designer ;)

>Why does the universe exist?
Why would science attempt to answer a philosophical question? As for the phage it exists because evolution is a wonderful and powerful thing

ayyyylien

how do these fuckers even think, or know to target cells, or be aware of their surroundings, or walk around with no neural nets or even know to use their legs, or grow up to have this perfect shape ?
Seems to me like fuckers like these didn't just pop into existence like this, they were designed. And I'm not talkign about god, I'm talking about the spooky kinds.

>Everything can be explained away so simply

"aliens" is the simple explanation, because it's an idea springing from human imagination, which is much more limited than what can be found by uncovering the scientific story behind why things are how they are

The answers to all the questions you just asked can be found in books on molecular biology, and I assure you the explanations are more interesting than "cuz aliens"

They wander aimlessly until by chance they come into contact with a cell. Attachment triggers a number of things, such as conformational changes in protein structures. This allows insertion of their genetic material into the cell.

Alright user, but why or how did this liltte fucker come to be/have the proteins or whatever to induce conformational changes when in contact with receptors at the cell surface and shit?

Also, what do you mean it wanders aimlessly? Where does it get the energy needed to induce locomotion and orient itself so that everything is in place when on the cell etc

Its a particle of protein, it drifts. It doesnt move itself at all except for attachment which uses energy stored in the conformation of the leg proteins. It got like this through evolution

Why does it have the legs?

Your first question is essentially "what is evolution?" The same principles of evolution apply to macroscopic and microscopic organisms, although microorganisms evolve at a much faster rate for a number reasons (method and rate of reproduction, higher mutation rate, exchanging of genes). Viruses have genetic material that encodes for their various parts just like us. A single virion can produce thousands of progeny by infecting a single cell. Imagine all the mutations that occur and it's not hard to see that some progeny will have mutations that allow them to compete and infect cells more efficiently. Accumulation of mutations leads to the highly specialized morphological and chemical properties we see.

To my knowledge viruses are unable to move in the sense of directing or orienting themselves. They are environmental hitchhikers so they don't "induce locomotion." Microbes are in air, water, food, and on all manner of objects. There are bacteria on your mouse and keyboard for instance. Influenza is transmitted by the tiny droplets people create when they cough or sneeze and infection may occur after someone inhales those droplets. As for orienting themselves on the cell surface there's a little luck involved. The viral protein/receptor must physically contact it's ligand for binding to occur. The virus can't just flip itself around if it's near its target receptor but when you remember that there are thousands of progeny all "floating" around it makes sense that quite a few would hit their mark.

Also as far as shape goes, T4 is considered quite complex for a virus. It's composed of more than 40 different proteins. The head is made of a repeating pattern of 12 or so proteins.

They are used for locking onto membranes. Then the middle part jizzes inside.

that's kinda hot desu

why hexagons

It also pays to remember it doesnt look quite so robotic in real life, they just simplify it like that because its easier than drawing individual proteins

I love how its protein drill knocks through the cell wall like Rufus R. "Freight Train" Jones knocks through his opponents in the ring.

If you look at that diagram long enough you can almost hear the bacteriophage screaming,
"CHOOOOO-MOFUCKIN-CHOOOOOOO"

4 u

very funny you assholes. i mean were they scanned with xrays? looked at under a electron microspcope? regular microscopes??

electron microscope is correct

>viruses

kys

>praying to phags

The "picture" you're referring to isn't a picture at all. It's a simulation. How else could they have obtained such a simulation if we do not live in a simulation?
>protip you can't checkmate atheists

if there ever were a physical god out there, this would be it

Look at this perfection. This could have only been produced by an advanced alien civilization.

thank you user
you guys better be trolling

He's wrong though. Just compare that to your own image. That rendering is meant to evoke the aesthetic of electron microscopy. That's it.

It does kind of seem like it would have to have evolved from scratch after the evolution of life. That's rather interesting.

The OP isn't an actual picture, it's a model. Here's a real picture of one.

This is obvious. What I was implying was that this kind of magnification in the nano-range is only possible with a transmission electron microscope.

This is why no one takes science seriously. You guys can never admit to being wrong, even about the minutest most trivial things.
>I was implying something TOTALLY OPPOSITE of what I actually said. You wouldn't understand, you pleb.

You fucking bet I pray to it everyday

>some retard on an anonymous imageboard tries to weasel his way out of admitting fault

this is par for the course on this site, newfriend.

>wiggling around trying to make it sound like this is something related to scientific literacy/trust in the general public

now you just look retarded

I definitely didn't imply anyone was being stupid, you are making assumptions. However, the image in OP is clearly stylized. We don't assume proteins look like pic related. His pic is what you would basically see with an electron microscope, but much more "aesthetic".

I forgot the picture, I'm dumb as fuck honestly.

took me a minute to figure that pic out

>viruses

My spell check must be broken because virii gets fuzzy.

MORE

>tfw it suddenly clicks

ehh I'd go with black holes. much more interesting and possibly more "fundamental"

I think I'm going to be sick.

plz explain

it's a penis

It's a phage riding a dick

That's the only pic I have, got it from a drawthread.