Well can you, Veeky Forums?

Well can you, Veeky Forums?

npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/27/480639265/human-or-machine-can-you-tell-who-wrote-these-poems

The more 'impressionistic' the poem the more likely it was written by a machine. Or an inorganic machine, rather. The poems written by humans all had a conceptual thread that ran the entire length and looped back around to tie it all together, while the two written by computers were disjointed and failed to hold together. The sudden breaking off of a thought over an enjambed line is the biggest give away.

I missed on two because I was expecting tricksiness. It's actually much easier if you're just searching for honesty.

I didn't even read them, and still guessed 4 out of 6 right going only off what the previous two answers were.

It has began!

Also I would like to worship the poetry of our new overloads, let Shakesbot and RoboHomer take it, lord knows we fucked it up.

I got 5 of 6

Got all of them correctly. Human poems concentrate on a motive, machine don't. The third and sixth sonnet describe plants, and it's impossible for a program to do that with such detail and artfulness. The first sonnet is given away by an effective full stop in the middle of a verse. Repetition of "this" in the first two verses causes suspicion as well.

>impressionistic
I just reread a poem by Mallarmé for comparison and it actually makes more sense than these machine poems.

This.

I got one wrong, the joy one, simply because I thought it was too shitty to be written by a human.

You can also tell by some of the word choices like cancer growth.Until we get true AI, computers can only be so versatile in language. The computer itself does not know English, it just follows a set of rules. The cancer growth makes sense in context of the poem, unless it was just plagiarizing and taking snippits of other work (Which I'd hope it isn't), then it's obvious when you get something obscure like that in context that it's written by a human.

There's a musicality to the human-written ones that is lacking in the machine- generated, too. Computers can reproduce sensical sentences fairly well, and even produce metaphor, but they seem to be unable, so far, to anticipate how strings of words will sound together, and how prosody alters big the meaning and the emotional impact.

That's exactly what happened to me! Got 5/6. That Joy poem was a mess.

Glad they picked decent poems for the most part though, it wouldn't be hard to have a program shit out high school tier poems.

Yes, easily. The artificial sonnets lacked any sort of focus, finesse, musicality, or actual sentence structure--things that no current AI can even begin to replicate.

Got the first one wrong cause I didn't know what to expect. The other ones only took me 1 or 2 lines to get.

Call me when a robot can right a story

I got 5/6.

I guessed that Sonnet #4 was by a machine because it was so shit.

The second to last one almost had me fooled but the second stanza was really choppy in a machine-like way.

>I thought [a poem] was too shitty to be written by a human.
user... The most negative and scathing reviews of 50 Shades, Crazy Frog and Soulja Boy that I've read are less negative than this comment.

>an inorganic machine, rather
*tips fedora

got em all right on the first try. the robots really don't ever have any allusions or come to any climax or conclusions. that and oddly placed words and clumsy childish rhythms and rhymes, and it becomes obvious.

Satan here is right

roboArt > human """""art""""""

Sonnet #2 has glaring forced meter

That's the one I got wrong too for the exact same reason.

I guess he's complete shit then

>he still has organs

If you didn't get 6/6 your reading comprehension is terrible.

Just figure out if there's a unifying theme or point to the poem - the machines don't have any.

One of them almost does but its writing is still really disjointed in that distinctly mechanical way.

Human poetry/art has a beginning and an end

The machines come in from nowhere and leave you there

Still got 5 from 6 cos of the shitty joy poem

Only got the first one wrong.

>I felt that week your ending had begun

I thought it was written by SkyNet

Same, got the first poem wrong :/

6/6 at the first try.

Sonnet #5 almost fooled me but the line Fled to that audit by advised respects was far too strange.

Yeah but some poets are very edgy and their poertry is just word vomit. Like says, if you actually expect honesty it will be easy to guess.

Even with those they're disjointed in a "human" way. There'll still be some sort of vague unifying pattern or theme even if they're shit or incomprehensible.