Khan Academy

Is Khan academy actually a meme? Or is it actually useful for someone like me who hasnt done any calculus and only has a grade 10's (Australia )understanding of math. Is it worth going through and completing the world of math? and then even further and doing physics and chem as well? Then transfer into books?

Or am i better off just going with text books and what I can find on google? Help a mere dumbkunt here please.

Your understanding of education is limited to whether or not something is a 'meme', so it's unlikely you'll benefit from it.

um it's worth if it makes you practice and learn
it's not worth if you're gonna spend time here questioning it

Your understanding of education is limited to whether or not something is a 'meme', so it's unlikely you'll benefit from it.

Im just wondering what a better approach would be, if there is one.

the best one is the one that makes you learn.
there's plenty of material out there. khan academy is good enough to get you interested and get the basics of things, but you can always learn more from books, PDF-s, websites etc.
go start doing the problems now!

From what I've heard from my students, Khan academy is pretty useless for undergrad topics and above, and it's reaaally slow. But you should be fine for high-school math.

Primarily use textbooks when you can. For many people, things kind Khan A. are helpful.

The best thing you can do for your education is to become very comfortable reading textbooks

Thanks for the advice guys, I think ill use some textbooks that the school supplies to get a year 11-12 understanding then use the internet to get some more and further my knowledge.

Thanks

>But you should be fine for high-school math.

Which makes sense because high school math is slow as fuck. They take 9 months to cover something that can be learned in less than two.

i used it when i was in high school
good enough for problem solving, but bad if you expect to learn any theory
teaches mathematics at engineering level - here's the formula, plug and chug and voila.

At my Community College the diffyq class was taught by a fresh ee with a stick up his ass for proofs. Dont get me wrong, I love diff, but he'd spend the whole day just going over a proof or going onto wild tangents (why indians smell the way they do, etc).

As a result, we never covered convolutions.

I recently took up an internship at a pretty prestigious university. Medical research involving a lot of biophysics. Part of our simulations involve deriving a point-spread function from experimental data. As you might imagine, the next step involves convolutions.

I can't say I learned it well enough to use it from Khanh Academy, but his quick youtube explanation helped me conceptualize it better than wikipedia.

It helps with getting the basic concept down. For me, that's enough. As long as I get the 'big picture' the details fall into place.

Results may vary, of course.

Khan academy is a decent suppliment for a professor, but its just not enough. You need a book with problems in it.

My DiffEq prof loves proofs, because its "good math."

He also doesnt even expect us to write it down or remember it, just use the equations and processes the proofs lead up to.

I think he just likes math a lot and knows most of us are pretty smart.

Khan is GOAT from algebra through Calc I, and also as an introduction to physics.

For Calc 2-3, Professor Leonard is GOAT.

desu, this is every DE class ever. You spend half the class writing down shit you can't comprehend since a lot of it requires proofs that are out of the scope for the class, just to realize halfway through the course that all you really need to do is practice like 30 problems per lecture. But of course there are many things you can understand within the scope of the class.

If you go in knowing that e is your best friend, theres no real reason why you should be a clueless drone.

Mine we just classified DEs and solved them all day.

My class was a bit weird tho; Only two students and three professors

If you're looking for a book that will jump-start your mathematics and want to avoid "memes", Algebra by Israel Gelfand was doing the trick for me. It's from the good ol' Soviet Union and has a unique perspective on elementary concepts. I'm retarded though, so disregard my opinion.

True, e appears in many solutions but e is just a consequence when it comes to DE solutions. It will appear in DE because it just has to, considering exponential growth, decay, blah blah... I don't see how just knowing what e is will benefit you. To really comprehend DEs, you need a few more semesters of math to see how it all comes together.

Its pretty good if youre shit at math in general. If you have the drive and competency you can get A LOT more out of a text book at a faster rate.

I do not have extensive experience with khan academy because it rarely covered topics i required.

I have many colleagues who swear by it in helping them understand math. However they all use it purely as a supplementary to practice problems, reading textbooks and attending lectures.

Him and PatrickJMT are pretty great resources if you're lazy and cramming before an exam. They're good at explaining the method but don't really jump too far in to the theory.

Underrated. Shredded math guy is a beast.

Khan Academy is good for introducing yourself to new topics and for getting a nice explanation when something's confusing you, but I wouldn't use it as my only resource. A textbook is preferable, you'll be able to learn at a much faster pace if you use a book instead of watching a hundred video lectures.

I'm working through the khan course on electrical engineering and I'm learning as well as having fun.
did the first half yesterday and hope to finish today.

Leonard

Yea, i think i know what you're saying. DiffEq looks like its just a culmination of whats been learned in previous math classes and an introduction to continuing classes, such as Linear Algebra

Yeah. My prof went over the Poincaré lemma and referenced the proof which involved differential forms and the like. It's in rudin chapter 10 somewhere. Over my head then.