Infinite Summer - Thread #4

In Which We Try to Discuss the Current Scenes Edition! C'mon don't let it die last year it was a great group

Veeky Forums has an Infinite Jest summer reading book group!
If you have an interest in this book -- whether you have read it or not -- please consider joining us!

We will be reading Infinite Jest from June 3rd (today) – August 11th with an average pace of 15 pages a day.

Discussions will take place right here on Veeky Forums, hopefully we will keep a thread floating around most of the time, but should activity slow down new threads will be made Friday for discussion to avoid daily spamming of dying threads.

TODAY'S READING is pages 380-398, scenes 82 to 85. Full schedule to follow this post.

*Infinite Jest is widely available in bookstores and in free ebooks formats online

NEWCOMERS, SIGN IN
strawpoll.me/10356218 (embed) (embed) (embed)

SCENE BY SCENE GUIDE:
>faculty.sunydutchess.edu/oneill/Infinite.htm

REFERENCE SITE:
>infinitesummer.org/

Schedule with calendar dates, thanks to the user who corrected them.

I'm about 200 pages ahead of you guys but reading slower
I really like the Clipperton scenes coming up and look forward to you guys catching up
Especially with the Lenz stuff I'm at

Is there any reason the name of the Wheelchair Assassins isn't actually proper French? It's not even a Quebec dialect.

this is such a fucking stupid book about masturbation

I have to say the group is entering The Slog right about now. Mario's film has been one of my least favorite parts of the the book each time I read it. Some interesting exposition but it comes on way too heavy across way too many pages and then 400-500 is mostly filler
395-398 looking at himself's films, and yes the Eric Clipperton scenes are great though

all I can say to you IJ groupers - KEEP COMING BACK!

best part starts on July 5

It could possibly be so that people who don't speak French can understand some of the words. Also humor reasons

I would draw a huge red yawning skull over Mario's movie and the part about TV adverts and the rise of the new TV.

>And but so then
Not even memeing... wtf did he mean by this? Aren't these conjunctions mutually exclusive? And why does he pick and choose two or three to combine as if another arbitrary combination yields a unique meaning?

he thought it made it more conversational and natural for some reason and added to flow. mentions it in interviews and elsewhere. I dont know why he thought that but there you go.

I forget ... is that TV advert part of Mario's movie? I actually enjoyed that part. It didn't really make a whole lot of sense, but I really enjoyed all the speculative fiction elements of Infinite Jest, like with the teleputer and whatever

Mario's movie is ass though. I'm assuming that's what you mean, roughly, by drawing a huge read skull on it

of the past 7 or so books i've read (infinite jest being one of them), i can fondly look back on all but one. IJ left me bored with it. i so often find my eyes slipping off the last sentence of a book and feeling euphoric for a few hours. at the end of this juggernaut i felt a weird nausea and longed for the first 400 pages again.

infinite bump

so much for the 200 "readers" who responded to the initial poll

Maybe they have time to read everyday but not post on a Chilean alpaca image board everyday

You're underestimating the amount of lurkers. I generally lurk in the threads but am nevertheless keeping pace with the schedule.

same like this guy

The part about adverts is Hal's essay that's somehow woven into the discussion of Mario's movie, but it's not a part of it itself.

Hal's teacher wrote a yawning red skull next to some part of it because it was so boring, that's what I'd too, over that whole part.

Man, something about the way you are eagerly trying to make everyone share your unbridled enthusiasm is severely off-putting.

This.

Also I finished the book so I'm just waiting.

Unbridled enthusiasm? Saying the next 200 pages are a mostly filler and a total slog is unbridled enthusiasm?? I'm not even reading with the group brother, I just come by for conversation, and the end of that post was a little AA joke

I think I'm just an off-putting guy.

Not who you were replying too but I think sincerity and enthusiasm were two important personality traits for DFW. That being said you are slightly off-putting but we all are

Another not-that-guy. I figured that the end of the comment was an AA joke. I found the post endearing, and appreciated being forewarned of The Slog. Not put off.

That guy. Didn't read your whole post, was only skimming the thread for now. The OPs pleas to not let the group die coupled in my head with your post and created a vision in my head of that kid who tries to organize groups just to be in charge of something. I can't explain it well. It's offputting.

In context your post is not nearly as off putting as I reacted and for that I apologize, however the phantom version of you I dreamed is not going to be sharing a drink with me anytime soon.

>tfw I only just realized who Helen Steeply is
I'm so slow

infinite bump

For the sake of making a post in the thread, here's a summary of my recent thoughts:

I'm looking forward to Mario's movie being over (I nevertheless appreciate the exposition, but I thought the way it was done in, e.g., JOI's filmography was much more tactful and went down much smoother), although I really enjoyed the digression into Hal's paper on the death of TV advertisement. I'm appreciating the interpolations of AA scenes, and I'm starting to find just about all the AA characters oddly charming. Really starting to feel for Gately, poor old Doschka / Sir Osis.

>only on page 100

I swear to God I'll catch up by the Forth.

who is it user

Randy Lenz is the best

literally "that kid" all grown up

Hugh Steeply

>mfw got behind some days because everyone said Mario's film is a slog but last night caught up a bit and am actually enjoying a lot that bit
Gentle is becoming my fav secondary character

"eeehahahahahah HAhAHAHAHA" - johnny gentle

>GENTLE TO P.M.: 'LOOK, BABE, TAKE THE TERRITORY OR YOU'RE GOING TO BE REALLY REALLY SORRY'

The whole exchange between the Canadian P.M. and Gentle via headlines is hilarious.