What does /sci think, is chess related to intelligence, can it increase intellects?

>playing chess helps develop creativity by activating the right side of your brain

It increases intelligence, but so does any complex problem. Nothing special, just popular.

I'm aware of the fallacy, although the question still remains, do you think it can improve intelligence say more than dual n-back or bilingualism?

Studies on those 'brain training' exercises purported to boost your brain power have shown that you simply can't do that. Only think doing chess makes you good at is chess. If you want to get good at math go and do some math problems. If you want to get creative, start brainstorming ideas.

>studies
[citation needed]
There are many different brain exercises, I am sure some are not effective and others are, I am sure there is conflicting studies and you just don't know.
>only think
>to get good at math go and do some math problems
The fact that math is broadly useful is why you learn it in the first place. Learning general things like math, formal logic, programming creates implies you will get better at everything you can apply these to.
>If you want to get creative, start brainstorming ideas.
Things are a little harder than this. Creativity is related with effective pattern recognition, it is something hard to approach because at the same time that you want to brainstorm, you also want to be observant enough to identify new patterns.

>The fact that math is broadly useful is why you learn it in the first place
You filthy inbred. Math is pure and is not to be applied willy-nilly.

Yes.

What about Go, which unlike chess, is intuitive. Can it increase the intellect? No.

To explore chess to the extent that it would increase your "intelligence" in any way is probably not worth it. The game is fun but I never put much work into it so I didn't get past ~2000 elo in US (1900 global). I don't think it ever made me smarter but maybe if you're like 2500? Better off solving puzzles or doing math if you want to stimulate your brain

>Go, which unlike chess, is intuitive
>unlike chess
Source?

It wouldn't "Improve Intelligence" as much as it would exercise it, perhaps allowing for quicker use of knowledge or planning at the best.
Yes, playing chess is related to intelligence, highly so. Look at the people who prefer RTS versus people who prefer FPS. Usually folks who command armies in Command and Conquer or StarCraft are generally just insanely smarter people than those that you find playing Call of Duty or Battlefront. However, they are not directly correlated, and it doesn't mean playing one and not the other makes someone smarter or dumber. I've played against some pretty dumb people in StarCraft matches. My uncle who is about the smartest man I know alive loves to waste time on shooters. In the end, a game is a game. Play it at your best.

Chess like anything else is largely practice. Playing chess doesn't really make you better at other things, although it's better for you than nothing. It's annecdotal, but I went to school with a child prodigy (2350+ ranked at 15), and he was not particularly brilliant in other areas.
What are you talking about? Intuition plays a big part in chess, especially in shorter time controls.

Yeah. There was this one study where they put experienced chess players vs. beginners. When the games started with the correct placement of pieces, experienced players won. When the starting positions of each piece on the board were chosen randomly, beginners and experienced players were equal.

Is it possible that the key to gaining extraordinary general intelligence is to train at a wide variety of mental skills and tasks just long enough that you become good at it before getting trapped into a comfort zone?

That sounds quite good.

My professor was a polymath. He had an immense knowledge in math, physics, physiology, chemistry, medicine, electronics, and studied history, linguistics and other humanities as a hobby. He was a fast reader and writer. He had a new book in his hands every day, and constantly threw some tough math problems at us Ph.D. students. Unfortunately his increasing consumption of red wine was his undoing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OOOHOHOHOHO

I guess the CHEESE couldn't cut itself

>if you don't use your brain, it will decay
Wew lads, we all knew this shit already. But it's not because of chess, people who keep working after retirement usually don't develop dementia (or develop it much later) either (mostly knowledge workers).

I don't see how chess would be any better than playing Dota 2 or other strategy video games

> spamming keyboard buttons in a chaotic manner and repeating the same action over and over again while focused on one or two things
> analyzing the entire combination of possibilities of your enemy and acting accordingly.

They're not even close.

bilingualism does not increase intelligence

how is counter-strike on the low strategy end

the teams that win right now are the ones who strategise the most

In general, you just learn to master bullet spread, and use common sense in-game.
Just because you use strategy in CS:GO that doesn't mean that it's a heavy component of the game.
Compare it to other games, which have larger diversity and "strategy", and you realise that CS:GO has a pretty simple concept.
>tldr
>It's a shooting game...'aim and fire' has a larger contribution than strategy.

yes it does

its playable in utf8.... or somexins like dat, i dont remember encoding

>Puppey and Magnus Carlsen

nerdchills

>high strategy
>total war
>Europa Universalis

>low strategy
Coaster Tycoon

Whoever made this clearly has not played most of these games.
It seems strategy = UI complexity.

t. monolingual

A strategy is just a plan to achieve something.
Tycoon's goal is just to financially sustain your amusement park and keep your customer's happy.
There are some complicated parts within the game, however it really hasn't got much strategy involved.

What a shitty plot.

Starcraft requires much more strategy than TW and EU together. TW and EU are trivial games in fact.

>A strategy is just a plan to achieve something.
>Tycoon's goal is just to financially sustain your amusement park and keep your customer's happy.

Right building a $10,000 park in a 15x15 square takes no plan. But painting a world map one color, or building 4 cities and spamming the end turn button is the epitome of strategy.

It's a shit image user.

Come on man, Tycoon is pretty easy

also suddenly I want to play it

I think you are actually retarded.
Did you fail to understand that what you've just said supports how those games require more strategy than "building a $10,000 park in a 15x15 square"?

It's really disappointing to see how stupid you are user.

Here, I fixed it for you.

This graph is better.

Then change strategy to difficulty.

And EU4 is actually much easier then tycoon.
It's just hard to get into because nothing is intuitive.
Go ask /gsg/ if you don't believe me. Mechanically it's a slightly more complicated game of RISK. None of us play it for intense mental challenges, its just a big "what if" historical simulator. "What if the Japanese colonized America", "What if the HRE never fell", "What if I remove all kebabs".

I'm flattered that you are interested but i'm not gay user.

This. Even the most strategic noob will get sniped by some camping pro

> no dwarf fortress

It merely morphs your existing intellect so that it is better at chess and chess-like processing. It does not in any way make you, "smarter," or more, "intelligent".

>no "STARS!"

I miss good 4x games. No one really plays them anymore. The 1990s was the last good decade for intelligent gaming.

This. That chart looks more like the result of an online poll about personal feelings towards games.

I want a STARS! mod for Space Engine.

>master bullet spread
>use common sense in game

KEK. this is what shitters actually believe

It's a game.
It's fun.

We live in a primarily left-brained society. Nearly every member of the human race has the artistic capacity of a 10 year old. In order to increase intelligence, instead of playing chess, you should emulate Da Vinci and learn to draw to forge entirely new connections in the entire brain.

I love chess and its infinitely possible situations backed by soviet chess theory. :^)

/thread

>> analyzing the entire combination of possibilities of your enemy and acting accordingly.

This is what good moba players are doing, and there are 100 time as many possibilities and unknowns.

Playing chess doesn't make you any better than playing vidya, you hipster cunt.

Chess is literally only for autistics who like to tell people how smart they are. It increases intelligence about as much as studying for a spelling bee.
You know what pastime increases intelligence? Puzzle books. I haven't read any of the new Humble Book Bundle, but if you're looking for a place to start, they look great. If not that, I recommend "Satan, Cantor, and Infinity", which was the first serious one I read, and absolutely loved.

>right side of the brain
Intro the trash it goes.

If you stimulate yourself with anything other than TV, you're going to see some improvement. How much depends on the variety of things you do.

Chess is almost entirely a rote/experience-based game.

They did a study with a bunch of world-top grandmaster chess players and found that when presented with unorthodox (impossible/illogical) board setups or piece movements, the grandmaster players performed no better than novice players.

They concluded that:
>Tactics (baiting, if-then, general skill) was attributed to long-term experience playing the game.
>Strategy (early, mid, late game movesets) was attributed to rote memorization.

That's not to say there arent some highly intelligent players with excellent memories who happen to be grandmasters, but chess itself does not require a remarkable degree of intelligence or memorization.

It's almost all based on how long you've played and how many strategies you've memorized.

Lets be honest here, chess is no Go.

Are you serious? If you honestly think Chess or any activity that stimulates the brain has absolutely no effect on brain function, that's pretty naive.

By the time you have mastered a skill, any skill, new connections in the brain have been formed that allow everything involved in that skill to be easier, which also translates into its constituent parts of said skill to varying degrees. If that skill is particularly challenging, you can see some noticeable changes in the structure of the brain. This is common knowledge in neurology.

When you take a ten year old and isolate them from any mental stimulation, years from that point, they will still have the same mental capacity as when they were ten, or less. This has actually happened and has been observed in kidnap victims.

The point is, the stimulants, both tiny, large, conscious and unconscious contribute to a developed brain, Chess is not a magical exception.

>"smarter"
>or more, "intelligent"

Can't you type for shit

>GO
Go is instinctive, Chess is a game that makes you actually use logical thinking

[citation needed]

Is the dota matchmaking fixed or am I still gonna get shit on for being a noob paired with neckbeards?

Edgey/hipstet post

You can tell this post was made from someone who hasn't played or studied chess.

Mahjong is probably better for the brain..... Maybe...

I mean, you've got to strategically discard your tiles while also trying to build a high scoring hand. There's also simple maths involved in the scoring.
So, is mahjong better than chess?

I've been officially testing at a genius-level IQ since I was a wee babe, but I've always found chess to be extremely dull.

I do love board games and card games in general, though, and own at least three dozen, both obscure and popular titles.

Chess is not dull. Chess is not an emotion, you stupid twat.

dull:
adjective
1. lacking interest or excitement.

are you retarded?