If you could copy your mind into an immortal shell, would you do it? Knowing that you, yourself as you are now...

If you could copy your mind into an immortal shell, would you do it? Knowing that you, yourself as you are now, would never see the benefits? Would you be able to watch your copy, a fake, prosper as you wither and die?

Would it make a difference if you put yourself to sleep during the process and then woke up in a new, improved body? Would it still bug you, slowly eat away at the corners of your conscious that you're a clone? An imposter?

What if it went wrong? What if you woke up? Would you try to put yourself back to sleep a second time? Knowing that this time, you weren't going to wake up? It would be final. Your imitation, a mockery of yourself, would be the only winner. Make no mistake, your pretender would be most certainly a completely different individual to you the moment he opened his eyes. He'd probably even have the legal advantage in such a situation.

Is immortality worth it?

We're already immortal. The ego is the only thing that isn't.

Why make a copy when you could slowly replace your brain with cybernetics until there's no organic brain left? You know, the Brain of Theseus and all that?

Using that logic

When I go to sleep, and then wake up, am I not technically a clone?

I would do either, given the opprotunity. After all, why do you claim it is a "fake" and "pretender". I would consider both the "real me"

too smart for that

>2 away
YOU MOTHERFUCKING FAILED YOU BITCH

>1 away
YOU MOTHERFUCKING FAILED YOU BITCH

they got it

>adding an organic compound to an inorganic one

If it was that simple then there would be no dead brains

All this talk of clones… there is no such thing. There is no difference between me and a "clone", the differences are as arbitrary as me and my neighbor.

Take the physics approach and ask yourself does it "bend" any existing physical principles? The only difference between the two being the most significant that of the place in the motion of spacetime, thus the "clone" or if I am the clone, isn't really a clone in any meaningful sense, the perfect imitation is not an imitation in this sense.

From an evolutionary point of view as long as the process is relatively safe its an obvious choice. The only reason we feel queasy considering it now is that there has never been a time where physical destruction of the body hasn't resulted in a complete reduction in your reproductive capacity to zero.

My immortal self would likely kill the other.

Wow, so deep. Really makes me think. I'll go jump off a building and not die now.

I don't even know anymore after being on this board all day.

Why would I not, if copying my consciousness had no negative impact on me?

A clone is a twin, not a copy.

the only thing that will die is your ego though m8

One point I've always wondered about cloning: what happens if I take a fully grown adult then, using a hypothetical machine, strip all their DNA from every cell and replace it with DNA from a donor? Would they slowly turn into the donor?

What if identical consciousness can only exist in one place at one time? So copying actually kills the real you?

There are no downsides to it t b h.

Cannot think of a better bro than cyborg me. I need a wingman thats for sure.

Biological immortality already exists in nature. Reverse engineer the genome of Turritopsis Dohrnii, corroborate genes into human embryos over time. Gene editing with CRISPR-cas9 and the upcoming breakthroughs that will support it are on the horizon.

There is no need to create another vessel entirely. Employ Occam's Razor.

China and Japan are probably already on that as we type.

>strip all their DNA from every cell and replace it with DNA from a donor? Would they slowly turn into the donor?
Realistically, no.
Firstly, a machine of that description would be practically impossible.
Secondly, DNA tells individual cells what to do, not the whole body.
The body's form is caused by the hormones in the body during development. DNA only impacts the form by having cells release hormones that affect the overall body.
Once the body is developed, it's bone structure doesn't change. The hormones in the system would change because the cells would change what/how much hormones they produce and release into the bloodstream.
If you replaced a man's DNA with a woman's, he would end up looking like a tranny. (And he'd be infertile, because the genital cells would have no idea wtf to do, the internal reproductive system might just kill itself)

If you replace a man's DNA with another man's DNA, the physical changes would be mostly aesthetic. (Skin tone changes, as the skin cells start producing more or less melanin, but little else changes)

>If you could copy your mind into an immortal shell, would you do it?
No.

Test

Immortality is possible but the main problem is cells they must die in high numbers or they multiply out of control giving you tumors infact cancer cells might actually be immortal.
The marine invertrebrates in general can live until the square cube law gets in the way meaning they dont age to death like us vertebrates so maybe aging to death is just a biological glitch or a failsafe to stop us from getting tumors allover but it doesnt explain how the most primtive phyla avoid this. I am aware that insects and arachnids have very short lifespans for some reason but shouldnt creatures as simple as them only die when they reach the square cube law limit why are they programmed to die?

Every night you go to sleep and there is a discontinuity in consciousness. Every morning you wake up as you, with all the memories you slept with. How is this any different than what you described? How is it not exactly the same as creating a perfect copy every time you go to sleep while also destroying the original? Do you feel as an imitation of your self that slept the previous night? Do you consider your self that will awake the next morning a copy? Would you envy him knowing that you have to take a difficult last exam today while he will go and party for the end of the finals tomorrow?

Every version of me is me. "Me" is an illusion but I won't dismiss "my"self

>If you could copy your mind into an immortal shell, would you do it?
if free. a copy of me would be great.

>Would it make a difference if you put yourself to sleep during the process and then woke up in a new, improved body? Would it still bug you
i wake up as an immortal. who cares?

>What if you woke up?
i wouldn't sleep. i still have life to live.

>Is immortality worth it?
in the case of a clone the current you still gets a clone bro. why not?

Biological immortality is for conservatives. Virtual mind can be expanded and copied to infinity, allowing personal evolution. That is literally the most logical next step after cultural evolution. Don't listen to your cells pleas to preserve them, they'll become obsolete and so will you if you're not ready to move on.

>Don't listen to your cells pleas to preserve them
nigger, your cells die at a rate of about 50-70 billion per day.

>most logical next step after cultural evolution
you cant predict the growth of knowledge. we may reach senescence decades before we can upload minds.

Your cells want to preserve their genetic material, that's like only reason you exist.

do you even the selfish gene? your cells are part of the machinery for your genes to replicate, including your brain and mind. there is no preservation. genes don't have that kind of knowledge.

Point was, albeit worded badly, that getting rid of your body also discontinues your genes, and that's exactly opposite what evolution taught us to do. Meaning people are drawn to solutions like biological immortality, even though it's obvious disadvantage, being able to die and all.

>evolution taught us to do
evolution led us to having these brains and we already do tons of things every single day that we didn't strictly evolve towards. for example, using condoms. the simple fact is the mind outcompetes genes at generating new knowledge. by a lot. why exactly do you think we need to continue the biological heritage? surely some religious fucks will still continue to breed.

>why exactly do you think we need to continue the biological heritage?
We don't. I just tried to state that anyone who thinks so isn't actually self aware

>Why make a copy when you could slowly replace your brain with cybernetics until there's no organic brain left? You know, the Brain of Theseus and all that?
For me this is the biggest "mystery" of all.

Would you still exist if the process is gradual?
But how gradual must it be? What your brain is "gradually" replaced in a second? Or a week? Or 100 years? What's the difference? WHERE DOES THE CONSCIOUSNESS LIE?
I hate this. But we're all gonna die anyway.

>knowledge

Somebody didn't understand their favorite little book. Genes "don't gave that kind of knowledge" because they dont have _any_ knowledge. All they do is encode for the establishment and maintenance of an environment that itself ensures the greatest chance for successful genetic replication. Both sides are intrinsically connected and neither contains any knowledge, simply information or environmental conditions.

Take your pedophile cartoons to

End this meme

What is the evolutionary advantage of consciousness?