What's the hardest thing in theoretical Computer Science?

What's the hardest thing in theoretical Computer Science?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncatlab.org/nlab/show/partial combinatory algebra
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

naming and cache invalidation.

coming to the realization that your field is a meme

Pointers

P=NP

hygeine

His dick before the therapy

Is it plugged in? Okay, plug it in.

meh

Hard problems.
As someone who is interested in the field, would you care to elaborate?

> what is theoretical computer science

>As someone who is interested in the field, would you care to elaborate?
CS being a meme is a popular meme on Veeky Forums.

this.

staying in closet

Using a space between meme arrows and text.

Probably programming language theory given it's heavy use of advanced type theory, category theory, and a menagerie of logics. Categorical semantics is up there too.

Lol, There's this recurring joke in computer sci that commonly gets used in presentations. It goes something like:
>The two hardest things in computer science are
>1. Naming things
>2. [some ridiculously hard thing related to the topic at hand]

Finding a faster algorithm for any of the problems solved by current algorithms is hard.

Dealing with the retards in theoretical Computer Science

none of those are hard. you're just easily impressed by jargon.

this is hard.

>I don't know what it is so it must be jargon and not hard.
lol, educate yourself, son. Here is a babby intro to the topic.

ncatlab.org/nlab/show/partial combinatory algebra

In order from least to greatest:
>natural language processing
>machine learning
>P=NP?
>making Windows not suck

being a meme

ITS A REAL ABSTRACT KIND OF COMPUTER

quicksort

The hardest thing is naming and off-by-one errors

making money

>partial combinatory algebra

L-O-L. Was I supposed to be impressed? You could have at least shown me the paper you co-authored with van Oosten so you could have something to brag about instead of just flaunting terminology.

>gets shown self described babby math.
>L-O-L. Was I supposed to be impressed?
If you believe you were supposed to be impressed then you have failed. Hurry and commit Sudoku.

>As someone who is interested in the field, would you care to elaborate?

The problem isn't with CS itself, Computer Science its a great field, the problem is with the people, its crowded with normalfags wannabes that are in either for the "easy money" or because they want to make a videogame.

If you want easy money go to finances, if you want to make videogames take some course specifically designed for that, there are plenty.

I swear to god this normalfags, computing used to be a beautiful reduced niche 20 years ago, oh I wish I had gone to uni back then.

making flash safe

so hard the industry gave up

The video game spergs are the worst. Literal neckbeards who can't even wrap their heads around simple algebra.

>Why do I have to learn about formal languages? I just came hear to make video games.

Every fucking time.

Ehh, the guys in it for the easy money are nuisances but if that's what they want to do then so be it. It's not like these are the guys who will be going onto grad school or taking the spots of the more research oriented jobs.

The videogame guys are indeed the worst.

Algorithm complexity and machine architecture are solid theoretical areas of study. Numerical analysts need these guys if they want to keep progressing.

>normalfags
Mine is crowded with pig disgusting bronies and fedoras who refuse to shower and creep on every female that has ever taken a comp sci course.

I agree that they're retards too, my feel is that most of them just got into the major because of "I just wanna make video games" mentality. I don't consider them comp sci students though, at least not anymore than finance/actuary science/school teacher people are to be considered math students.

using electricity and electronics for the media of the computer, which would give it speed.
using base-2, or the binary number system, which would simplify its computational process.
using regenerative memory, which would reduce the cost of building the machine.
computing with direct logical action rather than enumeration, which would give it increased accuracy.

All of this was achieved by Atanasoff's computer, the ancestor of the first general purpose electric computer .