ITT Read, Expected, Got

ITT Read, Expected, Got

What I read: Chesterton

What I expected: Woah really serious noir shit.

What I got: le absurdist humour

nobody here reads French though

well us french do but since most peoples on this board are americans that don't speak anything else than english.

bump

lmao

>but since most peoples
It sounds like you're monolingual as well, Pierre

> no eggs in "What I got"

Disappointing.

the castle in what I got looks like the remains of the castle in York.

oui nous sont les stupid americains nous ne peut jamais lire la grande francais

>no green light
>no eyeballs
>no bootleggers

wat

Why would you expect pastorial Ireland or something other than the city of Dublin? Plus the what you got should include a boy holding a coin an looking sad and Statler and Waldorf.

>nobody here reads French though
A2 level only, but I'll keep going whatever it takes, because French is a wonderful language, better than English (sorry guys) and even better than Spanish, the two I'm fluent at (I also know some Italian and Japanese).

kek

Seriously, is it even worth reading volume 2?

Does he do anything else besides crying every 5 pages?

>I also know some Italian
Provalo, finocchio.

Leave Ove alone! He's a sensitive boy!

Weird way to say whiny faget, Satan.

why would you even expect noir from chesterton?

Not even wrong. Caesar is so repetitive

>I also know some Italian
Vaffanculo!
I can read (and mostly hear) Italian and understand it, because of it's similarities to Spanish, French and English. I could never keep up in a conversation.

>Frenchfags
>Muh romanticism

German literature is superior in so many ways, thank god I'm a native German speaker.

kek
Incase you've never read Dubliners, several stories include priests
>womanwithsnuff.jpg
through out the whole story of The Sisters he describes snuff constantly being rained on by the old priest.
>donvito.jpg
Don Vito played on a show called Viva La Bam that used to play on MTV. It was cancelled because he was suspected to have been child grooming and molesting 12yo at his signing. In the story of An Encounter the children suspect one of the old men is grooming them and they run off in fear that he's most likely a pedophile.

Well, German romanticism was good, the problem is that when applied to the XIX and XX Centuries it didn't end up very well.

At least the French somewhat keep it in the Middle Ages when it did fit a lot better.

>12
>pedo

is that you mom?

took me a sec

I can't find an English translation. Do you know if one exists?

Is this supposed to be dawn's fingers? Wasn't that an iliad thing?

>"how to stage a coup" confirmed by amazon reviews

>on libgen

well this is totally not going to get me on a watchlist

What's really funny is that you were actually expecting viking stuff on a book by a guy so called the norwegian proust.

I heard it's the most boring of the books, but I wouldn't know because I only watch the show. Like a pleb I guess.

It definitely is. Has it's moments but the momentum from the first 3 is completely gone. I also came from the show and read thru the first 3 in a matter of months because of how entertaining they were. Feast is a fucking pain and I've been reading it for almost 5 months. I need to fucking finish it and move onto something else to recharge.

I don't even know why I read all the books. GRRM is obviously going to die before he finishes the series, and with the amount of time I devoted to it, I'm going to be pissed. The worst part is that I completely knew this before I began the series.

I've never read an Ayn Rand book, but I think I will soon just so I understand this meme of hatred for her.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Satan.

maybe start with the fountainhead, it isn't nearly as long

nice cover

And not nearly as psychotically ranting for 40 pages about a man's labor and his inalienable rights to the fruits of which

>Psychotically ranting for 40 pages
Jesus, that's gonna be a chore. Fountainhead it is.

President William Harrison died after making a speech as long as the one in Atlas Shrugged.

i've started to learn french, but i had to abandon it, because i'll move to russia, so i'm learning russian now

kek

Very inaccurate. Film was also very different from the book.

i speak french fluently

What does the colour yellow represent?

Are you talking about the use of the color yellow in the chart or in the book itself?
Because it's used frequently in the book to denote spiritual/moral corruption (e.g. Gatsby's yellow car, the "eggs" are white/innocent on the outside but yellow/corrupt on the inside, a shit ton of things at Gatsby's party are yellow, etc.)

except not inaccurate at all
it's also not saying that the film and book are identical, just that shot captures the feel of the book pretty well

I meant in the chart, but I suppose you've answered that too. Thanks. :)

It make the laugh. Was not. It's corn, and but it was grain in the it's mean. Ok

6 am 10

>meme
people have been making fun of her literally since she first came on the scene
"makes fun of ayn rand" could be a square in philosophy article bingo

outstanding

at least the creators of the TV-series have been told the ending of the story by GRRM so the TV show will have the ending at some point,

Took her 2 years to write that one speech, I had no clue the monologue in The Fountainhead was merely a precursor to the mental gang-bang that was that speech

Tebehe, most philosophy is boring wordy bullshit that makes claims that never even attempts to prove in most cases, and when it does it all resumes to "I Think that..."

I doubt any, and I do mean any, philosopher would get even the barest amount of recognition today.

>This is how STEMfags who don't understand philosophy console themselves

Pathetic.

What is there to understand?

you're a sad sad man. i pity you.

Unjustified arrogance, ho!

as i said, it's pity, not arrogance, you jumping to the latter makes me think you have some sort of inferiority complex, hence your rejection of things you can't comprehend as wordy bullshit. I'm surprised you didn't use the word gibberish.

But not to sidetrack, there are numerous companion books to most of the key philosophical works around, I would suggest you utilize them in your future readings.

Understanding something is not what I would project into the outside but merely use to improve myself int he face of inputs from the outside. I do have a certain pride in being competent in some aspects of life but this is a very personal and private things for me.

Good luck in the future to you.

The condescension is seeping through every ounce of internet you used to post this.

>tfw I'm not your monoligual strawman

J'aime lire en français, connard.

Why would the crow think he's better than the dove?

You made a good point, when you basically said "I read philosopie to train my mind".

The rest of the post reads like some who tries to justify his non-stem education.

Though I do in fact think non-STEM tertiary education is a bunch of bullshit. Yet I am studying it. I believe that in order to get anything out of philosophy it must be consumed privately. Education (at least where I'm at) is horribly insufficient in socially orientated educating.

And I do believe, know actually, that reading philosophy has more benefits than can be received from minor cognitive improvements or whatever is supposed to be the purpose of "training your mind".

I have a history in both STEM and non- education and am of the opinion that, in terms of pure non-commercially orientated learning, nothing beats private, solitudal learning.

Don't expect too much from anyone being compared to proust in the 21st century.

not everyone knows french, maybe if you create some french threads on /int/ that might solve that.

should i read it though?

Ya for sure. It's a short easy read but it's stuck with me for a long time. You're not going to lose much investment if it's not your cup of tea.

I think it is

You a fellow yorkfag? If yes, best bookshop?

As someone normally critical, I have nothing but praise for Hyperion. The second book leaves much to be desired though, and goes way off the deep end with pseudo religious bullshit. Still had some good moments but Fall of Hyperion isn't worth reading.

Anyone got a Finnegans wake one?

Expected: beautiful, dream-like prose
Got: baka desu fuck my shit up senpai WWI edition

expected: spaghetti
got: pic

What I read: Lost Fleet
What I expected: Master and Commander in Space
What I got: Groundhog's Day

Why is good military scoring so hard to find?

i love you

Sci-fi* not scoring. Autocorrect is a dick

I'm also confused why he thought it would be set in Cork not Dublin.

This series is partially about space sand niggers?

I thought it was just a cluster of small houses or something, not a castle.

Lmao

Accurate