Be in college

>be in college
>take differential equations
>get test back
>pic related
Is it normal to get penalized for not showing work for the quadratic equation and the auxiliary equation? Nobody knew we were suppose to show the work. At least two other people in a class of 10-15 people got heavily penalized for not showing the same. Is my college a meme?

No but your teacher is a dick

It is simple:

Step 1) Read instructions
Step 2) Show your work
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Profit

Showing your work is beneficial for two reasons: partial credit and telling your grader that you know what the hell diff. eqs. are. Otherwise how do you prove that you didn't cheat?

If I got a complaint like OP's, I would tell that student to retake the exam in my office while I watch him.

kill yourself my man.

When in Rome

1) the instructions did not specify to show the quadratic equation
2) the instructions did not specify to show the auxiliary equation

Literally the only reason why I'm doing a math major is that it's straightforward and I thought I wouldn't have to deal with petty BS.

>solving quadratics is 25 points (presumably 1/4 of your grade) on an ODE exam

why.jpg

Maybe too many are scoring As and they need a bell curve.

> be american
> able to complete a test and get the right answers
> don't get an A

When is showing your work to get to a solution never required

Get the fuck out

I thought sort of the same thing. We covered basic physics equations for almost a week. I feel like we're wasting time and that the curriculum is replacing true rigor with semantics

>hurr i'm the next euler gais
>hey! why doesn't the proff accomedate for my autism?!

L O L

if i was grading that shit I'd give you much less.

>euler gais
I really don't understand what you're going on about.
converting
ay" + by' + cy = 0 to
ar2 + br + c = 0
in your head and solving is REALLY easy
If you can't do the quadratic equation in your head, why would you be in a DE class anyways?
So I really don't understand your point, sorry...

I had a prof. who'd take points off if you didn't complete the square and used the quadratic formula instead since he said to many people messed up the formula. Though like over half the class couldn't properly graph sin(x), cos(x) or an exponential function so I'm sure most fucked up either way :^)

because tests require you to show workings as a T E S T of your knowledge.

Are you in Dr. Meth's class at UT?

because being albe to do the quadratic equation in your head isn't proof you are good at what you are doing or know how you are doing it. You could have guessed to get the right answer, how is that fair to the others in the class?

I can't do mental math well but I DE was super easy for me, being able to do stuff in your head doesn't mean anything

Sure it's a test of knowledge, but do you really think it's intellectually honest to make a quarter of a DE test depend on whether one wrote down the quadratic formula?

The whole purpose of taking the test is to prove you are understanding the concept.

>The whole purpose of taking the test is to prove you are understanding the concept.
That could be accomplished by adding short answer conceptual questions.
ie: Why does the auxiliary equation help solve a given DE?
So my question to you remains. Do you think it's intellectually honest to make a quarter of a DE test depend on whether one wrote down the quadratic formula?

you write like a five year old

>So my question to you remains. Do you think it's intellectually honest to make a quarter of a DE test depend on whether one wrote down the quadratic formula

What the fuck does intellectually honest even mean in this situation? You are whining like a bitch because you didn't show your steps. Stop acting like your intellegence is questioned because you didn't correctly show where the answers are coming from. When has it ever been normal to not show your steps

i can tell from your handwriting you are a fuck up who will never be a first class mathematician. Also it takes 2 lines to complete the square, real mathematicians complete the square.
source: once took a class taught by a real mathematician

Yes, this is normal. You should always show that you know how the method works.

You seem really angry about this, and I don't really see why you would be. When you advance to higher classes, showing steps from previous classes holds less importance.
>will never be a first class mathematician
Nice projecting there.

>You seem really angry about this, and I don't really see why you would be. When you advance to higher classes, showing steps from previous classes holds less importance.
I'm not angry you lost points on the test. You fucked up and you dont agree with it so you made a post here looking for some kind of approval of your actions.

Don't worry user, linear algebra made me feel the same way.

Believe it or not, the points I lost for that won't actually matter because of the way the course is graded. My concern comes from my impression that there seems to be a huge emphasis on things that I consider petty. Deducting a large amount of points for doing something as simple as the quadratic equation in your head as opposed to writing it out came across as silly to me. So in my mind, that calls into question why things like that are so emphasized as opposed to being able to just solve the equation.

>My concern comes from my impression that there seems to be a huge emphasis on things that I consider petty.

>So in my mind, that calls into question why things like that are so emphasized as opposed to being able to just solve the equation.

Because one proves you know what you are doing to get to the solution and one doesn't

How is that petty.

If it only proves you know how to solve the quadratic equation, then yeah it seems petty.

The test is already ridiculously simple and your answer is less than 20 digits altogether. Write something down, will you? This is no way to give a math test, even if it's shitty freshman pseudomath. Explain the stuff you do.

You should always show all steps whether in your head or not.

I'm sure for most problems, you could just write out the general/particular solution without finding the roots to the auxillary. Maybe you'd argue that credit should be given for that too.

At the end of the day, the work required is an arbitrary standard set by the prof. Picking up on that is part of learning in the class too. Your employers will do the same shit to you. Take it on the chin and don't do it again.

Ah, that makes sense.

I'm sorry OP, that shit sucks.

However, this is more of a life lesson than anything. You will have simple questions asked by irrational people.

You have to learn how to explain things to idiots.

If ANYONE on here does not like doing that, dont go into any occupation outside of research.

>take stats course

"Calculate some shit..."

>docked marks for not showing intermediary steps for (80-100)/20

If I couldn't do 80-100, and then divide by 20. I have no business being in a university.

Some TAs and such are just faggots and try-hard-wannabe-brown-nosing cock-suckers.

>When has it ever been normal to not show your steps
When the steps are trivial. Why don't they make OP write out each division and multiplication too and dock him 5 points every time he does two at once.

the person marking your test most likely had a criteria for points allocation, show steps receive points
would you hand in a problem set with working like that?
why is it so hard for you to write y(t)=....?

What if you use variables and complete the square with those variables to derive the quadratic equation and then use that equation. Would he take off points then?

You fucking ape. Show your goddamn work.
>hurr durrr I iz smrat I don ned 2 show workz
Only stupid people don't show work. I know a lot of lazy fucks in math but they still show their work. Put yourself in the professor shoe. If you see that test and you read the equation and answer. What would your reaction be? Did he cheat or is he lazy? In the real world you have to show your work. I've known bosses who would fire your ass if you're that careless. In engineering you're taught to show all your work or you can cause some serious damage to the prototype. In the case of NASA blowing up a fucking spaceship. So next time take your time and show your work. Its a work ethic skill. I did see a lot of STEM fags bitching and moaning in upper division liberal arts classes for not proof reading their essays.

>use variables
>assuming that the real line works as expected

Yes. Of course he'll take points off, you idiot. Everyone knows you must begin every problem with ZFC.

Your answer and the person grading it are having an autism-off
jesus christ

Holy shit, man, look at your test !
Is that too hard to write a fucking sentence to explain what you are doing. Like, for instance, defining your variables or name the solution, or maybe even show proof that you did indeed find the general solution.

Holy shit man, this is some high school level retardedness.

It's not ok to be docked points unless it was clearly stated, but you really should just write up the characteristic equations. I just did λ2 + λ + µ = 0 => λ = +- a + bi to show there was a characteristic equation that was solved.

I agree with this.

>t. high-school math teacher

That is straight up retarded. You probably should have shown your work (at least write out the auxiliary equation to define "r"), but you should not have been penalized like that.

It would help if you were not chinese

I'm really tempted to spend the next 2 weeks memorizing rigorous proofs to solve a DE to use on the final...

What made you think I was Chinese?

The real question is: why did you make [math] \varphi = x [/math] like the autist you are?
Does someone who need to do that have the ability to solve a quadratic in their head? I don't think so, you deserved much less.

yes it's normal. you could have copied just the answer from someone sitting next to you or plugged it into a calculator, which you aren't supposed to use on a test.

what a shitty college is this, obiously NA, no wonder everyone is getting A+ and shit

You forgot the wronskian OP

That horrible handwriting

>i am an idiot and it's their fault

cool story bro

this is exactly it, I am a TA for 3 years and this is exactly how we do things. If I give you points but you don't have the work another TA/prof/grader can argue that I am being subjective since people who don't know wtf they're doing are also missing the work but don't get points.

if you want to rename phi to be x then you need to use a colon followed by an equals sign, i.e. :=, or an identity sign, three parallel bars like a super equals sign.

Depends a lot on who gets to grade the tests.
You're lucky you got to see yours, shitty universities you have to go through lengthy procedures to see it. It most definitely means it was an R.A. or PhD grading those for an extra sandwich for the first time. The grading from fresh academics varies substantially, you gor graded by someone who is still mentally stuck in secondary school. They will do great in academia, but sucks to be you.

It was probably a midterm or quiz.We get our midterms/quizzes back, but to see a final we have to go through a long formal process.