Oh boy

Oh boy.

qz.com/740569/one-of-the-fastest-growing-fields-in-science-still-makes-a-lot-of-people-very-uncomfortable/

>This week, Robert Plomin, professor of behavioral genetics at King’s College London, published a paper showing that a child’s educational success can be predicted by their genes. Genetic data from 20,000 DNA variants across several genes collectively account for 10% of the differences in children’s educational achievement age 16. At the most extreme ends of this genetic variation is an entire exam grade difference—from A to B grade for those with the highest polygenic score, to B to C grade for those with the lowest.

Other urls found in this thread:

sts.org/news/lungs-heavy-smokers-can-be-safe-double-transplant
medpagetoday.com/surgery/transplantation/44628
dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2270746/Lungs-transplants-heavy-smokers-safe-effective-save-thousands-lives.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9162447/
uptodate.com/contents/smoking-and-hypertension#H1
cfrankdavis.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/the-black-lung-lie/
longecity.org/forum/topic/38868-smoking-is-good-for-you/page-13#entry389448
www1.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/30years/Rushton-Jensen30years.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

well that explains why my 10 year drug habit hasn't stopped my grades from falling

>Genes have a direct effect on intelligence and education
We kinda knew that already

>10%

Deal.

came here to post this

also, go back to /pol/ with this shit please.

>only 10%

so /pol/ BTFO

>SCIENCE MAKES ME ANGRY GO BACK TO /POL/

Why do you hate science when it proves some dominant inequality among people ? Why can't you simply accept it and just say thats the way it is ?

Not him, but pretty sure his point is that we already knew genetic inequalities existed, plus the fact that the difference explained is only 10%. The reason he mentions /pol/ is because /pol/acks will inevitably try to apply this to races even when it doesn't have anything to do with that in the first place, while acting like genetics influencing intelligence is something that Veeky Forums denied, as proved by the bait hyperbole "oh boy" phrase in OP.

This article is like just starting to put a puzzle together (relationship of genetics and environment in determining intelligence, very roughly), a 1000-piece puzzle of which we have assembled only a few pieces.

/autism

are you trying to say anything with this phrase?
>they're going to be racist i'm sure so i'll preemptively start fighting with them
fuck off, all the guy said was we already knew genes have an impact on intelligence

People on Veeky Forums are willing to admit that, but still won't admit that genes are the cause of many diseases and smoking/drinking/drugs have nothing to do with it. There's too many betas here.

Are you the smoking-isn't-really-unhealthy-guise guy ? I can smell the smoke from here.

I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me. It would explain why the vast majority of smokers aren't sick and riddled with Cancer or COPD.

Guys like James D. Watson would probably Say the same thing.

So anything less than cancer is healthy ?
Are you fucking retarded ?

So, how will people react when it is inevitably revealed that the low intelligence genes are prevalent in black people and the high intelligence genes are prevalent in jews/whites?

Quit putting words in my mouth. I'm saying the diseases generally associated with smoking are genetic or likely have a vast combination of causes as opposed to linking everything to smoking.

Aside from constant coughing it isn't nearly as bad as the scientific establishment suggests. The amount of leaps they do to prove its "unhealthy" is absolutely ridiculous and relies on manipulating p values.

>It's all genes senpai. That's why I failed the test. Not because I'm lazy. Nah senpai.

Tfw it's the current year and people still believe in genetic determinism

The west will ban genetics as a whole, of course.
If reality don't fit the narrative, ban it !
It works with holocaust denial after all.

You're trying way too hard cancerbag. Cigarettes (not pure tobacco) include toxins and carcinogens which directly damage lungs, blood vessels, cause embolism, leukemia, cardiovascular damage which result in strokes and heart diseases.

Now go be a retard elsewhere and stop trying to give non-smokers cancer you fucking imbecile.

Bait
a
i
t

This guy is either a troll or a shill being paid to misinform people or a retarded addict who's desperately trying to justify his addictions on a science board with pure shitposting and denial.

Nice denial you have going on there, friend. Your genetics determined how useless your post was senpai.

Its infortunate, when solid evidence ends up being capable of hurting someone's feelings it's no longer evidence and just hearsay.

Right, because the way these statistics work is like saying that anyone who smokes even so much as 200 cigarettes throughout their lifetime got a disease from smoking, that sure is a solid way to create "evidence" where none truly exists. They had to create secondhand smoker later in order to justify banning it indoors.

And the "pure" tobacco argument doesn't hold much water when you realize not nearly enough people smoke pure tobacco to find out if there's a difference. The only argument is possibly that Japan uses charcoal filters to lessen the amount of tobacco they breathe in, but that's it.

Tobacco in other countries isn't always pure either, and those people have much longer lifespans than the people in the U.S. anyway, it has nothing or very little to do with smoking and more to do with genes, diet and environment.

>anyone I disagree with is a troll
>anyone who supports a product is a paid shill
>if you're trying to talk positively about something you're an addict

I'll take none of the above.

>not just a guy who is tired of Truth commercials spamming their bullshit on TV.

So it's confirmed that whites are dumber than Asians and Ashkenazi Jews kek

They don't base their evidence on statistic you fucking retard. I told you why smoking is cancerous and you are purely shitposting right now.

Come back when you have some "evidence" to debunk how toxins and carcinogens is not dangerous to blood vessels, lungs and heart.
> i've been smoking for so long and i feel fine
lmao

>be smokers lungs
>get transplanted
>do no worse than normie lungs
sts.org/news/lungs-heavy-smokers-can-be-safe-double-transplant

Anti-smoking has as much astroturf and voodoo they deflect on the corporations. NGOs are good boys.

And how much impact does the environment you grow up in have?

Like genetics it's something you don't have control over.

>posts some random cherrypicked journal
are you serious ?

They didn't just do "no worse than" smokes lungs. Smoker lung transplantees had longer survival rates.

Also I see that posted a lot here. People usually just go into denial and act like it means nothing.

parenting is neglible and what we are finding out from twin studies is that the unshared environment still does not explain more than heredity.

Proof ?

It's not a journal, bud.

It's a study.

medpagetoday.com/surgery/transplantation/44628

The hilarious thing is lungs from people who smoked lived longer.

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2270746/Lungs-transplants-heavy-smokers-safe-effective-save-thousands-lives.html

>inb4 dailymail so it's not relevant

Fuck off.

Where is your test and control group ? What are the ages and medical conditions of the donors ? Do you even understand the meaning of evidence ?

lol it literally says they use smoker lungs because of donor organ shortage.
also
>dailymail
fuck off

It makes sense that genes would determine your intelligence or rather intelligence potential, but how well you do in school is influenced by a variety of things, not just genes.
>smart but lazy
>dumb but ambitious
>friends
>peer pressure
>being a social outcast
>getting bullied
>mental illnesses
>drug abuse
>bad/good parenting
>bad/well nourished
>environment at home

I'm neither a /pol/ack or a libtard but that genes determine your grades sounds VERY bullshity.

it becomes more genotyped with age and maturation esp around puberty.

That's completely irrelevant to the actual findings of them being no worse. You're reaching because you just got hit with information you can't process. Fuck off.

I think genes determine the highest point you can get dependant of your mental capabilities. Rest of your flaws come from bad decisions, shitty parenting, economic conditions and the rest of the shit you listed. Genes give you a good head start to be ahead of other students but it doesn't guarantee that you will do good.

>prevalent in jews/whites
Excuse me goyim, do you think we are playing in the same league?

>you just got hit with information you can't process
Are you fucking retarded ? I didn't ask for your retarded cherrypicked and non-academic journals, I asked you to prove that toxins and carcinogens are not dangerous for blood vessels, heart and lungs.

>inb4 you shift goalposts again
kek

Not sure if related but it appears to me that the most important thing is to have a purpose.

You could have genius-tier IQ and waste it all playing video games all the day because there is nothing you care about.

At the same time you could be of average intelligence and become a good researcher because there is a goal you have or intrinsic motivation.

Yet it seems like you can't really get a purpose. You either have it or don't.

I love Israël's existence since you can just point out their average IQ and their GDP per capita anytime the "jews are genetically superior" arise.

Jews are completely in the european average ( lower for the pure jews unmixed with europeans ), what they got going for them is nepotism.
And nepotism's advantage always go away once you become a majority demographically, as evidenced by Israël.

He most important thing that people say is affected by smoking is lung function. A report just put a huge dent in that idea by showing that

A.) they're no worse than nonsmokers lungs
B.) smokers lung transplantees lived longer

It's pretty fucking clearly spelled out.

>still clinging on to cherrypicked journals that reported no data on age, medical condition, selection bias
>still not providing evidence for actual claims
Fuck off back to cancerbag. Your shitposting doesn't belong here.

If you really want to go this far in denial that's on you.

If I were to find this data and appease you (which I'm actually currently doing) my guess is that you'd still come up with an excuse why it's not valid. But whatever.

>smoking isn't unhealthy
>some smokers aren't terminally ill!

kek

oh please do find me the data where it says toxins and carcinogens are not dangerous for blood vessels, heart and lungs. And ill post you 10 times the study and evidence that show they are dangerous and damaging

>/pol/ trying to be legitimate.
Cute.

So how long until we identity and suppress the genes responsible for turning people into retarded /pol/esmokers?

BLM is that way stinking ghetto rat

Sometimes I wish /pol/ wasn't always right

>Tobacco in other countries isn't always pure either, and those people have much longer lifespans than the people in the U.S. anyway
>people in other countries are only different due to genetics when it benefits my argument. Otherwise they're exactly the same.
Nice cognitive dissonance, pleb.

>No, stop being mean to /pol/ in Veeky Forums! Can't you see I'm pretending to belong here!!
zozzle

>thinking BLMposting belongs to Veeky Forums
cute. now go hate science elsewhere retardo

>SJWs
>on Veeky Forums
why?

To derail every thread talking about genetics and intelligence and relentlessly shitpost. They somehow think by shitting everywhere they actually refute the point or disprove the studies. Just sad...

>Solid evidence

>A handful of studies

And you're supposed to be a critical thinker?

Kek.

>/pol/
>on Veeky Forums
why

Because they like facts and you SJWtards don't ?

you're the one disrupting threads and attacking people who post reasonable opinions.
all it took was

>We kinda knew that already

to get your idiots to start whining about /pol/. stop your idiotic secret club fights.

>It is a paradox that while smoking acutely increases blood pressure, a slightly lower blood pressure level has been found among smokers than nonsmokers in larger epidemiological studies
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9162447/
>lower blood pressure among long term smokers
uptodate.com/contents/smoking-and-hypertension#H1

Doesn't cause black lungs like people suggest
cfrankdavis.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/the-black-lung-lie/

Finally

longecity.org/forum/topic/38868-smoking-is-good-for-you/page-13#entry389448
This above link shows how people in the anti-smoking section of science manipulate results to their own advantage.

If ou somehow don't see any of this that's your problem.

>/pol/ is full of retards
>BLMposting
kek, /pol/ really is brain damaged.

>10 more studies
>quantity of studies on my side show that in right

Dear fucking God, are you serious?

Unimpeded political discourse always distillate to genocidal fascism.
It is as inevitable as the genocide of subhumans in the next century.

>disrupting a /pol/ thread.
Literally impossible. Besides it's countless people, I'm not even any of the people you're responding to. It just so happens that /pol/esmokers are so ridiculous that it's impossible not to ridicule them.

Not an argument against the genetic study OP provided.
>I'm not what you call me
>everyone I dont like is pole xDDDDDD

Back to BLMtards. Stop spreading your hate everywhere.

>Besides it's countless people, I'm not even any of the people you're responding to
this is a new form of samefagging truly

>a /pol/ thread
>posting an article about a study with no opinion or position attached is /pol/
get fucked, SJWtard

/pol/ thinks vaguely defined racial groups have a direct correspondence to IQ. They've never supported the idea that specific genes are related to IQ. In fact they're opposed to these sorts of studies since more often then not the genes aren't isolated to any specific "race" (nor distributed throughout an entire "race").

>/pol/ thinks
>never supported
>opposed to study
get a fucking mirror and take a very good look at yourself, hypocritical piece of shit

>/pol/ thinks x
SJWtards can't make a single post without crying about /pol/ and lying their asses off. Thats why they are so easy to spot.

>post study with /pol/ picture as OP picture.
>not a /pol/ thread.
1/10 bait

>social science study
Thank you for making my point. /pol/ fails at science so hard that they think the OP research is in support of their dumb social science tier beliefs.

>I'll go into a thread blatantly baiting me in order to argue with people
amazing idea, sjwfriend. you're the reason these threads work

I post a survey of 30 years of studies on the topic, and you reply with
>/pol/ fails at science so hard
and more nonsense

SJWs are fucking retarded

>lying
You may want to confer with your fellow /pol/esmoker over here before you prop up such an outlandish strawman,

You mean a SJWtard cesspool bait thread. Nobody even mentioned pol until you drooling mouthbreathers invaded this thread with the only purpose to shitpost and derail it.

Don't worry tho, you're just bumping it up to the frontpage. All OP has to do is to post the same study again for everyone to see when the thread reaches the bump limit ;)

psychometric and IQ are the most consistent findings in psychology. It is reproducible and complies with the scientific method, a lone exception in social sciences.

The reason these threads work is because it's mostly full of Veeky Forums making fun of dumb /pol/ normies for a daily ego boost.

you use meme arrows just like pol. 100% confirmed pollack detected ;))

>w-we are Veeky Forums guise
>believe me we are not some few SJWtards shitposting and derailing genetics thread and just trying to call us Veeky Forums

oh poor child...

I see no one replied. I assume that means you've all conceded.

I redpill people one at a time.

kek i r8 8/8

>post a social science study that has nothing to do with genetics.
>due to a pop-sci tier understanding of the concepts at hand manage to convince self that it is saying the same thing as the OP paper.

This is my favorite thing about /pol/. The users there are so dumb that they can't tell why we're making fun of them. They're literally an infinite lulz-cow.

no one wants to argue with you about your unhealthy as fuck habits anymore, you flooded the board enough. go away.

A lot of shitlords in this thread.

A message, from me, to you :
Grow up.

it's not 'redpilling', /pol/fags are just retarded.

what you believe aint truth.
>hurr durr, muh ignore dah medeeuh but believe every conspiracy theory ever! terk err geerrns! USA USA USA!!

>Nobody even mentioned pol
OP picture

Nice try. Only /pol/tards believe dumb stuff like smoking is bad or cancer is actually dangerous. Veeky Forums is in agreement that smoking being dangerous is just a myth.

what? it's not a study, it's a survey
it aggregates studies done on the topic in the last 30 years and comments on them

why do you have to keep lying?

>shitlord
gb2/r9k/ and MMORPGs you fucking cancer.

>Loser SJWtard cuck thinks them making fun of anyone has any significance.

Go easy SJWtard you'll get a heart attack ;)

>doesn't know that studies that talk about "race" don't deal with genetic data. They give people a questionaire that asks them "what race do you feel like today?" with a small number of checkboxes.

We do it for the lulz.

No one ever said it had any significance. Don't tell me you thought the internet was serious business. Oh wait, /pol/ is literally the manifestation of that sort of cancer. Go back to your super serious "twitter and facebook war".

Nice. And it's just what we know so far.

>I don't read studies, I see a word I don't like and I dismiss it

why don't you open it and look at the bibliography, you idiot?
There's a huge spectrum of study types, Anthropology, Psychology, Genetics, and so on

Quit making jokes and actually try and wrap your head around the information I posted. The guy in longecity is completely correct. He has evidence for every thing he asserted and refuted any counter argument.

Fuck it, I don't even know why I bother.

dont bother then. everyone's sick of you. just go away.

oh THAT bit is right, I was saying the same thing years ago.

I just mean that MOST of the /pol/ shit is utterly retarded.

Also, this information stands alone. Any extapolations or suggestions you want to make off it arent fucking valid

everything is fucked up. are you the smoking is not dangerous guy ?

I can take all the pol and sjw crap but you need to fuck off for good and stop pushing both smokers, non-smokers and inbetweeners to addiction.

Just smoke till your lungs collapse and die already fucking cancerbag.

I see that this smoking fucking turd of a thread missed out this quote:

"Meta-analysis of 61 twin studies shows that genetic variation accounts for 66% of educational achievement at primary school level."

Look I don't see why this is so fucking hard for any of you retards to grasp. Every last biomechanical structure in your body is coded for by genes. All of this environmental bullshit doesn't mean fuck all anyway, because the environmental stuff is beyond your control aside from obvious things like not eating lead paint.

Your genes: decided for you
Your intelligence: coded for you
Your opportunities: made for you by whatever social network you're born into, and what place you live in.
Your future: Almost entirely down to your genes and whatever other luck you may have.

Basically your life is just a shitty lottery and what happens is largely due to chance. Nobody likes this because "MUH FREE WILL", but whatever free will you have is actually just a veneer of chaos that surrounds a genetically determined core of your existence.

Get over it.

>mfw I did look through the bibliography
95% of the articles aren't about genetics.
Of the genetics articles, 90% are in social science journals or other non-scientific sources (eg. opinion pieces).
Of the remaining articles, all of them predate modern genetics research and are literally shit tier research on the subject by modern standards.