When did was the moment you in love with infinite jest?

When did was the moment you in love with infinite jest?

For me it was after reading the third citation

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-mast
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

so fucking pretentious my gott

'Hey Hal?'
'Yes Mario?'
'Are you asleep?'

The first two pages. Then I hated it.

Same. Especially the joke about the dyslexic with insomnia.

for me it was did not

And the flag pole analogy.

Actually I never understood that part. I understand he was trying to say there are multiple ways to honor someone's death but could you explain it to me please?

Yes, so, the moms is expressing her grief not by being depressed and isolated (i.e. a completely lowered flag), but by putting the flag at half mast. By doubling the mast. By doubling her effort and being active and outgoing.

>not by being depressed and isolated (i.e. a completely lowered flag), but by putting the flag at half mast.
literal kek

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-mast

Good post.

The brothers are what I remember more than anything

What? English is not my first language so perhaps the term is different. Hope my interpretation still shone through.

It made sense to me, so thank you

Mario, especially. I just want to meander with him through an autumnal forest.

Infinite Jest is basically the Cliffs Notes version of the entire Scientology oeuvre.

In other words, Infinite Jest is for plebeians.

It sounded like neither of you understood that lowering the flag to half-mast is something you literally traditionally do when an important death occurs.
So I linked the Wikipedia article.

Sorry if I misunderstood you guys.

Well yeah, hence the flag analogy. They lowered the flag around the ETA campus, and so did Avril, but by doubling the flag post.

I wish Infinite Jest didn't have this meme status. It kind of stains its profound beauty.

Holy god this is bad.

bump

lel

one of the scenes where mario and the old guy were talking about tennis, or something. but then i quickly realized that other literature is usually at or above that level of quality, and doesn't make you suffer for it like IJ's awful, awful sections do. literature should make you work, not suffer.

if "meme status" is capable of tarnishing it then it wasn't so profound to begin with.

You don't think culture plays a part in a book's appreciation?

i thought the bit about the guy smoking pot and his thought process when using it was cool and unlike anything i had read before

thats when i kind of connected with it

idk why ya'll have to spoil a fucking book though who cares if people post jokes and banter about it... just read it and if you don't like it, move onto the next book?

you can literally just ignore the "memeing". Veeky Forums is just a little sub-board on a shitty website. i gaurentee you the "memeing" will have absolutely no impact on infinite jest long term... just fucking read it, form your own opinion and drop the internet bullshit

or don't

>pull-offable

holy shit, this guy is unbearable

It happened to a certain folk rock album.

Does Veeky Forums even read books?

A vocal minority does.

Don't get me wrong: Veeky Forums's board culture is unironically one of my favorites. Their fanmade books like Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra is gold. I don't think this kind of post modern culture present in lit will ever die out, because being part of Veeky Forums legit requires effort -- reading books. Majority of Veeky Forums hasn't read more than 50 books in their lives.

I think that ridiculous verb suits the also ridiculous nature of the citation so it works

bump

What's the joke?

If he was asleep, then how would he be able to answer to begin with??? XDDDDD

Funniest book I've ever read! Also, pull-offable! lol! This Wallace guy is wild, man.

I think somewhere around Orin's first scene, because by then so many different voices had appeared and so many different things had happened. I know sui generis isn't an adjective, but apart from Ulysses I still haven't read anything that was so unique.

You mean the part where he mentions the night sweats?

Bump