EE vs MechE

What are the focuses of both of them? As far as I'm concerned, MechE focuses more on physics than EE.

I am torn on which one I should study.

first, they're both heavily involved in physics, just different kinds.

EE is built more off of electricity and magnetism physics, as well as particle and quantum.

MechE is more mechanics and gears? as well as complex systems, I'm not exactly sure I am an EE guy

i'm sorry for my non-expert answer, have a wallpaper

>Common
Calculus 1-3
ODEs
Matrix Algebra
Physics 1-3
Statics
Chemistry
Economics
English
Ethics
Matlab
Control Theory
Numerical Methods

>EE
Circuit Analysis
Electronic Devices and Circuits
C/C++ Programming
Digital Logic and Computer Architecture
Electromagnetic Fields and Waves
Probability and Random Processes
Communication Systems
Fourier Transform, Linear Signals and Systems
Digital Signal Processing
Analog Electronics

>MechE
CAD monkeying
EE crash course
Dynamics
Mechanics of Materials
Material Science
Thermodynamics
Fluid Mechanics
Heat (and Mass) Transfer
Vibrations
Machine Design

I think you'll be fine. Calc I is basically the course that filters out all the people that can't math, the difficult calc begins in Calc II. I don't think anything in Calc I can't be understood by a quick khan academy visit if needed.

Ok thanks. My interest in mathematics grew a little late, but luckily I decided to take PreCalc out of instinct without knowing I would want to do EE. It seems like it worked out.

Definitely. EE is a very interesting study, 3 years from now you'll be amazed at what you know. High school calc basically just let's people test out of college calc to get a head start, but not required at all. Anyways, good luck user!

Calc II is easy as long as you understand your calc I stuff, trigonometry and algebra rules, until you get to sequences and series, then you just need to do 100 problems a day to get the hang of it.

>MechE is more mechanics and gears?

Actually quite a bit of the core courses are based around fluid flow, heat transfer, and thermodynamics. Only one core course is really based on"gears/machines".

that pic reminds me of an Unreal Tournament map

Mech is more mechanics; physics about how to calculate how physical objects move. EE is more electrophysics and mathematics related to electronics and computers.

They come together in for example control theory and mechatronics.

>Will precalc my senior year effectively prepare me for Calc I freshman year of college

Yes but you might want to study ahead a bit if your college has a math placement exam.

Not OP, but I want to study physics, and I'm scared of not being able to get a job in a physics field after graduating, so I think I will choose engineering. I'm sad though, I really wanted to study physics. Any way I can do both without a huge workload?

IF you want some career advice: dont focus on any of those 2 if you dont know how you will put them to good use (what industry, what job). Uni is different from real life and if you are undecided do some interships first, and you will see just how much engineering jobs suck

>if you are undecided do some interships first

If only it was that easy.

>undecided do some interships first
where do u live? what year do you live in?

I mean you'll take plenty of physics classes in either engineering. You won't be le big bang theory man xD but you'll get enough physics

at least you'll have money to go back to school if you go through with engineering and regret it or something

>MechE is more mechanics and gears?
That's the fucking maymay answer Veeky Forums gives. In reality its more than just gears and machines. It also focuses on fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.

You can always get a masters in physics with an engineering degree. You may have to take some remedial courses in math and physics to make up the difference in grad school.

Damn, I feel you user

Just do an ME or EE degree. Honestly it doesn't matter if your end goal is a PhD in Physics.

If you took E&M and mechanics before entering uni, then if you liked E&M more than mechanics go into EE? and vice versa Not that simple but a good rule of thumb.

Just study something with good job prospects and high paying like software engineering, then in your free time, read about physics. That's what I did, wanted to study physics but fuck that.

mean for

fucking mirror's edge
beautiful game

This pretty much, but I did C programming crash course and linear systems in mechanical

>I really wanted to study physics

You don't really study physics in undergrad.

>like software engineering

This is terrible advice. You can get software engineering jobs with any major. Even religious studies guys get SE jobs.