Why do people thing being pretentious about reading validates their opinion?

Why do people thing being pretentious about reading validates their opinion?

Whenever I hear people claim something is "plebeian" or "beyond your level" I cringe so hard.

Read Dan Fox's Pretentiousness: Why It Matters.

because people like to feel important and intelligent, when deep down they know they are not.

>thing
How appropriate.

I cringe real hard when I see losers on Veeky Forums use /b/esque internet slang like "cringe." I cringe sooo hard when I see the same insecure virgins creating passive aggressive threads about their delicate feelings. But what makes me cringe the absolute HARDest is when I see manbabies who like "books" for middle schoolers try to lecture anybody on "valid opinions"

Hey I found one!

You guys are soooooooooooooooooooooooo smart.

sorry this was meant for

Your "cringe" is our dessert.

pleb detected

we are legion

Read what Schopenhauer had to say about false humility. Nietzsche too.

Rabid anti-elitism is a symptom of slave morality. There are masters and slaves, patricians and plebeians.

Make sure you're on the right side.

pretentiousness comes from slaves role-playing as elites

The word 'pretentious' is nothing more than a slave's groan when confronted by works he cannot understand, or tastes he cannot appreciate.

Pretending to be a slave is ironic pretentiousness (aka persecution complex).

I won't; that book is plebeian.

no it has an actual application to those who want to be seen like they are knowledgeable without actually committing themselves to being knowledgeable

A person cannot be pretentious. Only actions and works can be described pretentious.

your statement does not contradict mine

>all replies are disagreements

Sorry for pressuring you to discern.

Thought for the hour: A post can be additional information, an idea to enhance the conversation and keep the ball rolling, in the hopes of an organic abundance of ideas to choose from--ones that are not wilted and poor, but healthy ones, from fresh minds.

A bouquet of flowers do not have to fight to be the remaining one left standing.

>A bouquet of flowers do not have to fight to be the remaining one left standing.
Now THAT'S herd mentality.

Herds apply to animals, not to plants.

well thanks for your irrelevant input then that did nothing to further the argument or continue a conversation

i like hamburgers

well thanks for your pouting concession

you conceded when you tried to post a contradictory statement (that was false anyway), were told that it added nothing, then acted like it was your plan all along while still adding nothing. you want the last word?

What if I am intelligent and want to let others know because it makes me feel good?

Why would you even ask. You would just do it and all of your posts would natively exude a deep brilliance that only other truly intelligent people would decipher.

There is nothing wrong with being rightfully pretentious and secure in your knowledge.

Go back to plebeian town with the other retards if it's a problem to have standards and possibly have more than a miniscule passing interest in something. If you're what most people (idiots) call "pretentious" then you are most like simply passionate. It's like being called an elitist. So? The world needs people like that. Honestly, the people that say that shit usually read garbage like Harry Potter, play video games, and watch the latest Marvel movie because "it's fun."

I'm not that intelligent I'm afraid.

>that only other truly intelligent people would decipher.
Is true intelligence the intelligence where you fail to recognize people less than brilliant compared to yourself as intelligent or the intelligence where you acquire an altruistic kind of intelligence cognizance?
I feel like the former is both before and beyond the latter.

No, it is unreasonable to challenge people and make them insecure.

We should all work toward meeting each other at relatively the same state of existence that anyone can reasonably attain. "Higher" doesn't necessarily mean better.

In other words, everyone gets a trophy now.

Well, it is easy to recognize inferior thought patterns.

It resembles a pebble rattling around a tin can, attempting to reach and surpass a binary structure.

Being "nice" is not a factor--it varies from person to person. No one's personality changes be being more intelligent--they just have more tools to work with. It's like having an artillery of weaponry and being relatively skilled in using them compared to those who hold a wilting flower.

I disagree with your satirical post.

This is an ironic post.

This is an explanatory post.