Are there any other worthwhile literary works in Hebrew other than the Tanach?

Are there any other worthwhile literary works in Hebrew other than the Tanach?

Other urls found in this thread:

biblestudying.net/cosmo-5.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How To Control The Goys by Isaiah McShekelestien

the Talmud?

Tehilim in case you haven't...
I wouldn't recommend reading the Talmud if you're not Jewish(Israeli Jew speaking)

>I wouldn't recommend reading the Talmud if you're not Jewish
Why? Boring?
Also
>other than the Tanach
>Recommends Psalms

Some editions of the Bible dont contain Psalms, I wrote it just in case.

I am, but religious law doesn't interest me much. I learned a bit of Oral Tora in high school and it was pointless debates about issues that won't matter much to non-religious. I liked the Tanach because of the prose and the stories.

That is correct, even though there are some wonderful gems to be found in the Talmud

Learn old hebrew and write your own

I think more literature has been written in Yiddish (S.Y. Agnon, Sholem Aleichem, etc.)

Yiddish is closer to German than it is to Hebrew

Zohar

as an Israeli secular jew I was exposed to Talmud only in the last two years and was mind blown.

If you want modern literature than I recommend Meir Shalev and Amos Oz (Oz isn't my favorite but I guess he is much translated).

I'm an Israeli secular Jew myself. What blew your mind about the Talmud? And where would you recommend to start with Oz and Shalev?

>10,000 pages

Man, getting through the Old Testament was hard enough...

What is in it (the Talmud)?

Debates between rabbis through the ages.

sounds dialectical

Minotaur, by Benjamin Tammuz

The Torah is way, way better than the New Testament imo.

Do they present any new scripture or is it all bickering over interpretations?

No way, my dude. The NT is filled with love and hope while the OT is filled with fear and wrath.

>Torah
AKA "Why the Jews suck and will be destroyed by God"
>NT
AKA "How Jesus Christ redeems man and restores him to perfection, except Jews, whom are still going to hell"

Great books Tbh

>christian hell
>not the greatest imaginable object of fear
What did the jews talk about? Their god killing babies? at least then those babies wouldn't have to suffer in eternal hellfire like they would under christianity.

The Dream of the Poem

An anthology of the jewish golden age in medieval Spain

biblestudying.net/cosmo-5.html

I meant from an aesthetic point of view, not as a set of ideas/beliefs. I find the myths of the Torah more powerful, and it's filled with great poetry.

Sure, post-revival Hebrew literature has its peaks.

Pioneers like S.Y. Agnon, Jacob Steinberg, Yosef Haim Brenner, Gershon Shofman - are all worth reading.

As for later literature: A. B. Yehoshua, Aharon Appelfeld, Yoram Kaniuk, Yaakov Shabtai, Etgar Keret, Ronit Matalon - are the best throughout the second half of the 20th century and the 21st century in my opinion.

Also, there is some incredible Hebrew poetry, poets like: Hayim Nahman Bialik, Shaul Tchernichovsky, Uri-Zvi Greenberg, Rachel Bluwstein, Natan Alterman, Natan Zach, Zelda, Dan Pagis, Yona Wallach, Wizeltir - Are all great, truly.

I feel like the obscurity of the language makes it hard for the world properly get in touch with Israeli literature, but most writers I listed are incredible in any standard, definitely worth your time if a translation exists.