I want to go into a hard-ish science field, such as Chemistry or Mathematics...

I want to go into a hard-ish science field, such as Chemistry or Mathematics, but I'm really afraid of job opportunities. I want to work somewhere where I'm legitimately doing science, not just doing pH titrations or designing software or some shit.

I've been told I'm smart, how reasonable is this?

Also, general college science/math discussion thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/zhvsbk.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I want to go into a hard-ish science field, such as Chemistry or Mathematics
You should do what you LIKE above all else. But, the legitimate hard scientific fields of study are biology, chemistry and physics. Either pick 1 of these you like the most, or mathematics if you like that more.

>not just doing pH titrations or designing software or some shit.
That excludes all science and math job opportunities available at undergrad. Which means that you want to go to at least PhD-level and beyond for whatever field you want to work into. My advice: get used to these low tier jobs because those will be the ones that you will most likely end up working in. If you want great job opportunities with at least halfway decent jobs, do engineering, you'll get to learn and apply certain scientific principles.

>I've been told I'm smart, how reasonable is this?
Not reasonable at all. Everyone who's ever been on Veeky Forums has been told they're smart, by relatives, teachers etc. The real lesson comes at university, where you have to compete with real hard-working people who are also smart and love their subject. Good luck with that.

What I like are hard sciences. I know a lot of it would be paperwork and such.

I don't think I could really take a low-tier job for long, to be honest. If it wasn't just to pay for higher education, and it was a lifelong job doing something that doesn't really contribute to knowledge in any significant way, I would probably kill myself since I can't socialize at all and have never made a friend, ever.

>you have to compete with real hard-working people
I work hard in subjects that I really enjoy. In high-school I even had some home chemistry stuff going, though I never got into any advanced equipment beyond a distillation apparatus.

I just don't know how long it's going to last. It's really stressful choosing like this, and you guys know how it is so I'm hoping you can help me with this. Right now it sounds pretty grim, though.

Electrical Engineering, if you've got the capacity for it.

>Math is a science
Drop out now.

Just do what you love

I understand that it's not a science, sciences require the scientific method, whereas math undeniably proves itself without the need for experimentation. But you understand what I mean. I'm fairly certain this is bait. (you).

Physics contains Math.

There is no job in science. Go for Engineering before its too late, you can try Chemical and biomedical Engineering.

Consider Earth sciences. people always want to know about earthquakes/volcanoes and natural resources.

No jobs in science. Go do math or engineering if you want a job. And even math is coding jobs half the time

By working, acquiring books and working exercises - reading papers, memorizing science stuff.

>I've been told I'm smart, how reasonable is this?
lol

No, math contains physics.

/thread

Math is part of the human language. Let's say the whole world had only one spoken language, and that this language included meanings like circles, triangles and squares, even all numbers and mathematical terms, so literally everything on math would be within it. Yet not everything in it would be considered proper math, therefore math can't contain these. But if we are extending the meaning of math this much, what we are saying is that something equivalent to English contains Physics, which is a fallacy. English is contained in Physics, all its actual and possible forms are respectively caused by and within Physics. I do understand why methheads come up with these ideas: they can think of many possible mathematical Universes, so they conclude if this is only one then it is contained in that set. This is the equivalent of thinking of many ways a house could be built, then saying that this set contains the house... well what contains the set? Math? And what contains Math? The fact that you accept that a house can be put in any "set' implies that Math can also be contained by something else, but we Don't want math to be arbitrarily contained, so: Containments cannot go forever if we establish that containment is ultimately not arbitrary, but exclusive. Now when we talk of exclusive containments, math doesn't contain both sets of all green houses and all green small houses, because they are not exclusive. Exclusive containment is in fact the useful kind we are talking about, otherwise you are contained by an infinite amount of bizarre groups: let there be one thousand crazy fiction characters, one of them was by chance a copy of yourself. You are contained in this group, it could include Harry Potter, a Dragon, and you could argue for it just like you say English, or Math, or X Language, contain Physics. Now, when we are talking of REAL exclusive containment, Physics contains you, who speaks English and gibberish with your twenty watts brain.

do what you like. this is no time to think about something as banal of "job opportunities". if you're good at what you do, you'll get good opportunities.

if you turn out not to be very good, you can always just go for monkey lab job / monkey coding later on anyway.

Professors research.

And it's a fun job.

How to get good? What do the really good people do?

study hard and work hard at every stage of your career. seek out opportunities and seize them when they appear.

if you're just starting out, something as simple as getting great grades and standing out by making good questions will make you good. after a couple of years in uni, you should seek out professors (who will probably have a good concept of you because of your grades and work in class) and ask them to participate in research. they'll love to have you in.

at that point ask them for advice, basically just let them guide you. there will be opportunities for you to participate in undergrad research, interesting internships, conferences, etc etc. who knows. just work and study hard and you'll get there steadily.

Thanks for the advice

But how does Physics exclusively contain math, for we only proved that math doesn't contain Physics? First let's get into causation: OP's picture uses a loose definition for the words "purity" and "applied". And if we look for other cartoons by the same author, we realize how dumb he is. So In the pic, all the cases until Physics are caused by it: psychology causes sociology, biology causes psychology, "chemistry" causes biology, physics causes chemistry, yet we can't say that MATH causes physics. In fact, we can for a fact say that Physics is the one that causes the mental discovery of math by the same hierarchy of causes. And whatever causes Physics can only be part of Physics by definition, just like whatever mechanism moves the observable clock pointer is part of the clock. Physics is the only boundless field, it is not limited to the abstract, it is defined on the totality of nature itself. Any limit in observable nature can only be established by something within nature, and so on, therefore it is safe to say that Physics is infinite, it contains whatever causes Universes, it contains math, and whatever you find here

shut the fuck up with your nonsense pop philosophy
jesus christ

The dichotomy between dream jobs and shitty jobs exists in any field you endeavor join.

I'm finding that the network for shitty jobs happens to be larger in software. (Though the possibility of fulfilling jobs exists as well).

For chemistry its smaller. For mathematics its the same size, if not then even smaller. That goes for the general not shitty job pool in those fields as well.

If you want to shoot for the stars I would go with whatever floats your boat. Do the thing that interests you. Flex your creativity and the application of that creativity. When time runs out and you graduate, moving on will be on you.

Here is what I know for certain. Everyone's expectation for how their careers, or even theoretical/academic progression will pan out is often mismatched but just as often manageable .

You may need to plan for BOTH outcomes. One where you get the super sexy job. The other where you end up in with the less fulfilling job.

Jobs with real science generally exist for people with Phd's or masters work. So you're looking at about a decades commitment to entry level "real science"-ing on average.

Leo get the fuck out of here you retard.

check out my paper
my.mixtape.moe/zhvsbk.pdf

I think I'm on to something here, might try to publish it.

hoi hoi hoi hoi hoi