This is getting lots of attention on the land of retards /b/

This is getting lots of attention on the land of retards /b/.
There are lots of answers going around, 100, 20, 5, 4 and 1
It's 20 right?

Other urls found in this thread:

gmatclub.com/forum/if-it-takes-5-machines-5-minutes-to-make-5-widgets-how-long-69719.html
strawpoll.me/10877408
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nvm I think it's 1

5 minutes.

Really? How could this possibly confuse anyone?

the formal answer is that, as posted, there is incomplete information and you can't know

the expected answer is to assuming a linear relationship between the objects - say, every machine works independently and does its own thing. in this setting, you can deduce that each machine takes 5 minutes to produce a widget

so 100 machines would produce 100 widgets in 5 minutes

they are called /b/tards

gmatclub.com/forum/if-it-takes-5-machines-5-minutes-to-make-5-widgets-how-long-69719.html

5 machines, 5 minutes, 5 widgets
1 widget per minute
All 100 machines are working at the same time, thus after one minute, create 1 widget each.
100 x 1 = 100

No. Each machine creates a widget in 1 minute. It takes 5 minutes for 5 machines because they can only build a widget after the machine preceding is finished building a widget.

Then the widget that was created creates another widget. And each widget created adds to the stack of widget producers.

4 minutes. It is 4 minutes.

No, 5 minutes per widget. Assuming they are all working in parallel.

widget =/= machine
and all machines work at the same time

Everyone thought this troll was stupid on /b/ and everyone is going to think it's stupid in here.

No one was confused. /b/ is just trolls trying to troll other trolls.

It's basically 4chans troll trap

>the formal answer is that, as posted, there is incomplete information and you can't know
>the expected answer is to assuming a linear relationship between the objects

No. If they are working in groups of 5 to make widgets, it doesn't change anything.

If the group of five is working together, where each machine performs part of the task to make a widget, then the group would have to put out a widget every minute in order to make 5 widgets after 5 minutes.
So, if you have 100 machines, that is 20 groups of 5x machines. Each group turns out 1 widget every minute. And you have 20 groups. So after 1 minute you have 20 x 1 = 20 widgets. So after 5 minutes, you'd have ... 100 widgets.

ITS 5 YOU FUCKING RETARD
alright here's the math
each machine takes 5 mins to make 1 widget.
we know this because it can be inferred that they're all working at once. so 5 machines= 5 mins for 5 widget
so that would mean 100 widgets with 100 machines would take the same amount of time as 1 widget with 1 machine; 5 minutes
so it's 5.
unless they work 1 after the other, in which case it would be 100. but that would be inefficient, so it's pretty obvious that they're all working at once

But you do see that you have to assume a lot of information to rationalize it the way you're doing?

I'm not fucking trolling. I am right. It's 4. Stop being a troll and pay attention.

When I say "there exist different possibilities" and you show me one that doesn't change things, that doesn't disprove me.

Here's a crazy example:

No. You have to assume either each machine works independently to make a widget, or the group of 5 works together. Those are the only two options to satisfy the scenario.
And whichever one is true, results in the same answer. Which is 5 minutes.

Just go away. No one is taking the bait.

Or you could assume the the machines work consecutively which would give you 100.

>those are the only two options
no. assume machines power up when other machines are near them. let's say they perform better with higher temperature, and their working adds temperature.

so say 5 machines will work at 10% efficiency
and a cluster of 100 will work at 50% efficiency

so now it takes just 1 minute per machine to produce a widget
and the cluster will produce 100 widgets in 1 minute

With 100 machines running, the point of failure is higher and a few of those machines are likely to break down. So you have to call in your mechanics to fix the fucking things, which means you went over-budget and had to delay production, costing the company tons of money... as a result, they take all of your machines and outsource production to China.

So the answer is roughly 2-3 weeks.

who knows
spoopsy

Apparently someone is. :D

the question is ill-posed and that's the correct answer. stop being retarded and READ what's being said.

everyone knows the expected answer is to assume a linear relationship and say it's 5

It's a sarcastic response to a simple math equation, not a troll. Get your head out of your ass.

▲▲

what if when we put more machines, the system starts overheating, thus decreasing the speed??

Did you reply to the wrong person?

The first time it was sarcastic. The 10th time it was spam.

▲▲
niggers

Yeah I guess. You could say each machine makes a widget in 0.1 seconds, but someone built a timer that shuts each machine off after 1 widget comes out, and then waits 50.9 seconds before the next machine kicks on. Then you would only get 5 widgets after 5 minutes.

Or you could say that there is an alien in orbit, and he needs widgets. So he is beaming up to his space ship every 11th widget, because 11 is the luckiest number on Plufumtron his home planet. I mean the problem doesn't mention it, but fuck it, it's possible. So with 100 machines, it's going to take longer, because he's taking some of them into orbit.

I didn't post it 10 times, though...I posted it once on there, once on here. Just for fun, since language is a fun beast to play with.

no, I didn't reply to the wrong person
stop your retarded backseat modding.

▲ ▲
kappa

Thank you! Dude is a real jerk.

what if there are diff type of machine /with diff speed.. the 5 machine given may have variable speed for output .. and so the other 100 may also be of variable speed of production

>implying
[math] \space [/math] ▲
▲ ▲

DEMOCRACY > MATH

strawpoll.me/10877408

no▼▼

, ▲NEWFAGGS CAN'T STAR
▲ ▲
▼ ▼ ▼ ▼
▼ ▼
▲ ▲
▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
▼ ▼

>no
▼ ▼
[math] \space [/math] ▼

5 machines make 5 widgets in 5 minutes
5 machines make 1 widgets in 1 minutes
100 machines make 20 widgets in 1 minutes
100 machines make 100 widgets in 5 minutes

1 idiot

Rude

No, we can work from the information posted which means we can work in clusters of 5. There are 20 clusters of 5 that in 5 minutes make 20 sets of 5 widgets at 100 total. Anything beyond that is speculation, but saying that we don't have all the information is defeatist, we never have all the information but we find answers all the time.

1 machine takes 5 minutes to make 1 widget

Thus a 100 machines can create 100 widgets in 5 minutes

why do people start calculating for no reason

its all the same ratio, you dont need to do math you fuckwits

>machine minute widget
>machine widget machine

stop triggering my ocd

>the formal answer is that, as posted, there is incomplete information and you can't know
Wrong. Formally, issues such as production efficiency, nonlinearity and so forth never enter the picture. It is invalid to apply your personal knowledge and experiences to problems of formal logic and arithmetic. This is precisely why so many people fail at "some x have y, some y have z, do some x therefore have z" questions.

Here's the easiest way I can think of putting it if you're still stuck on it after all that

5 widgets = 5 machines in 5 minutes
if 1 machine takes 5 min for 1 w
then rate of production is 0.2 wid / minute for each machine
say you want 100 widgets out of 100 machines
100 * 0.2 * 1 = 20 widgets obtained in a minute (number of machines times rate of production times time taken, here, 1 minute)

20 * x = 100
widgets obtained in 1 minute * time required to obtain 100 widgets = 100 widgets

(widgets obtained in 1 minute * t required to obtain y widgets = y widgets)

x= 5 minutes

This question has been proved to be undecidable just look it up.

[math] \underset{\underset{\underset{\underset{\underset{\underset{\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\vartriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\vartriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\underset{\underset{\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\vartriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\vartriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\underset{\underset{\underset{\underset{\underset{\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\vartriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\vartriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\underset{\underset{\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\vartriangle}\underset{\blacktriangle\blacktriangle}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle}}{\blacktriangle} [/math]