Seriously, why is Macbeth such a dick?

Seriously, why is Macbeth such a dick?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WAojuVbKQtg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ambition. Lady Macbeth doesn't help.

>reading for plot

I imagine the combination of mental illness and being a blue blood does quite a number on someone. I mean just look at Elliot Rodger, he shot up a sorority house and he wasn't even noble, just was just rich and crazy.

>Seriously, why is dramatic character X such a dick?
>narcissism man

works every time

He straight up murders a dude because some random old lady tells him so. Heck, she didn't even explicitly told him to kill him.

It's all so fucked up even nature starts to get warped, with the weather going apeshit and horses eating each other. It's so horrifying, nonsensical and just.. atrocious.

To prove his manhood in a world where nature is uncertain (the witches have beards, for instance).

He is the dark Henry V.

So foul and fair a day I have not seen.

>rich
His dad might've been, but his mom wasn't. Though having had a taste of the high life and losing it must've made it a lot worse.

The plot of macbeth is uninspired nonsense sponsored by the stuarts, even lady macbeth seems like the work of phoned in ghost writer told to make a shakespear-esque antagonist, the play is saved alone by the prose and the sympathetic view of macbeth that is before its time

Really it worked out in the scheme of history too since no one gives a shit about the superior allusions and parodying plot structure in romeo and juliet, the bryonic dictator is way more popular these days than mercurios or romeos

Canst thou not minister to a mind diseased,
Pluck from the memory a rooted sorrow,
Raze out the written troubles of the brain
And with some sweet oblivious antidote
Cleanse the stuffed bosom of that perilous stuff
Which weighs upon the heart?
If only there existed some sweet oblivious antidote.

Stop.

It felt like that scene from star wars where lucas wrote "she lost the will to live" where a soldier can't handle killing some one because he challenged the divine right (TM). I mean first half of the play is an unconvincing seduction scene, unconvincing guilt trip, then some wankery over an alleged ancestor of the stuarts. The sympathetic portrayal of macbeth's downfall is all that's saving it

You've never actually seen the play, have you?

youtu.be/WAojuVbKQtg

There is pandering, no doubt. It's excusable, given whom buttered the bread. There is also inspired poetry, and a very unsettling waltz with nihilism.

I said the plot was bad and the lines were good, how can you even you misinterpret two sentence

>The sympathetic portrayal of macbeth's downfall is all that's saving it
>prose
>'bryonic'

Pardon?

Either name ONE fucking reason why he shouldn't be a dick or delete this thread right now.

This. The play is about masculinity and feminity.

He was ambitious and happened to be born near the top of society, so the only thing left for him to do was become king. Unfortunately there was already a king.

That was the secondary elaboration on the plot, your only basis for being right are two spelling errors at 4 am. Frankly you should admit your agreement with my refined and learned opinions

Macbeth dindu nuffin

It was all his wife.

What do you imagine is going on here?

A sleep deprived man having a largely one sided conversation with some 2nd language english speaker who just got up

Aren't you so tortured. Aren't you so brilliant.

As to it, the topic, you let the reverse of the entendre in the scares around 'bryonic' pass you by. As if Macbeth could be characterized so. You foolish little ape.

So sick of this meme

I love this!

That's the perfect characterization of macbeth, he is the ill fated warrior protagonist led astray by women and prophesies

If you had to live in Scotland, you'd probably be a dick too.

>That man of loneliness and mystery,
Scarce seen to smile, and seldom heard to sigh—

>a man proud, moody, cynical, with defiance on his brow, and misery in his heart, a scorner of his kind, implacable in revenge, yet capable of deep and strong affection

Where is Macbeth here? You are changing the meaning of the term to suit your case in this extremely frivolous dispute.

>even lady macbeth seems like the work of phoned in ghost writer
new levels of numpty
you'll know when you get gf

I have almost forgot the taste of fears;
The time has been, my senses would have cool'd
To hear a night-shriek; and my fell of hair
Would at a dismal treatise rouse and stir
As life were in't: I have supp'd full with horrors;
Direness, familiar to my slaughterous thoughts
Cannot once start me.
Wherefore was that cry?

The queen, my lord, is dead.

She should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word

Deep affection, indeed.

4am is also making you think byron came before shakespeare, user. maybe you should quit before you have to quit life.

Therein the patient
Must minister to himself!

I played the doctor in high school

Fate.

See

"Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here,
And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
Of direst cruelty. Make thick my blood.
Stop up the access and passage to remorse,
That no compunctious visitings of nature
Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
The effect and it! Come to my woman’s breasts,
And take my milk for gall, you murd'ring ministers,
Wherever in your sightless substances
You wait on nature’s mischief. Come, thick night,
And pall thee in the dunnest smoke of hell,
That my keen knife see not the wound it makes,
Nor heaven peep through the blanket of the dark
To cry “Hold, hold!”"

Lady MacBeth is more of a man than MacBeth. He feels compelled to match and outdo her ambition and then to further prove his masculinity as a solidifying factor in his right to rule as King.