Is anyone in your family a published writer?

Is anyone in your family a published writer?

my dad is a sports journalist with a couple books and my mom worked in the newspaper game awhile, too

I wrote about not-sports for a couple school papers and then was a columnist for a media group covering MMA. Now I have a memoir project cooking

Not in my family, but I went to high school with someone whose mother is a bestselling author of some fantasy series
I haven't ready any of the books, but I understand they're sort of Twilight-esque.

My uncle published his first novel last month. My grandfather also wrote a novel manuscript about 30 years ago but lost it.

Yes. Both my parents are journalists. Well, my mother was until several years after I was born, but my father has been extremely successful for over thirty years at this point.

My grandfather is, though not successful by any means.

In fact I believe he lost money on it.

My dad has a book published by the Stanford University Press

My great aunt owned a publishing company way back when and published 3 books. One was for kids, basically how to archaeology. Another one is basically a sex ed book. I'll look for them right now actually.

Found them

my dad published two book one on political philosophy and the other bioethics

Nothing really lit though

my dad dedicated a book to me and my sister so do i have to return that favor someday or

My grandfather had a few things published in the Los Angeles Times in the 80s and 90s but he stopped writing when my grandmother died.

Me, actually, though only articles and short stories so far.

I'm a self-published """"author"""".

My uncle is an environmental lawyer who published a non-fiction book of one of his cases and now is an editor for some Ireland-based environmentalist magazine. My aunt is an artist and art professor at Columbia, I know she's been published but I'm not sure what exactly.

Sadly, all of my immediate family are plebs.

Yes, actually.
My great grandmother was a female medic during the second world war and wrote about her experience.

Yes, me. I'm Pynchon, no joke.

Yes, I am David Foster Wallace's son.

>Petite-Bourgeoisie: The Thread

My immadiete and farer (how you say it in English?) has had a fair share of alcoholism, drug addiction and rehabs, and a few suicides here and there. With that you would expect, but nah, everybody is a fucking pleb.

>Family literally FULL of drug addicts and suicides
>Not one is a writer

Surely a statistical anomaly.

my granddad published a poem about the miners strike once

Or you know, we are just the balkan equivalent of rednecks.

To be fair, only my cousin was a drug addict as far as I know. And me. He used party drugs. I'm more of a weed and shrooms and acid kinda guy.

I had a bunch of lists published at Cracked.

So no.

No but a family friend is and I see him mentioned on Veeky Forums every now and then.

Not my immediate family, but I'm related to Vilhelm Moberg.

I'm related to Malcolm Adiseshiah.
If you're interested in Indian economics, check out Let My Country Awake.

i was sexually molested by a friend who happens to be the nephew of a famous, published lgbt poet

on both sides. obscure stuff about politics in specific settings etc. couple 1000 sold, which was a lot i suppose for the subject matter.

In the closer family, me, my cousin, aunt, uncle, grandfather, grandmother have all definitely been published, I think some of the others may have done also. At least three of my relatives have been written about, too. They even have wikipedia entries.
Going back a generation further there are more who wrote and have been written about, extensively.

>Now I have a memoir project cooking
Are you /that/ user?

Some university thing my sister worked on was published. Can't imagine a lot of people have read it.
what is it

Only two of the people in all my close and extended family have even finished high school.

So, no. Most of them have never had any sort of job. Much less a skilled one.

Who is it user?

Me (David Foster Wallace)

my grand cousin is a published linguist

My sister had published 12 books and is an internationally famous author... In the orthodox Jewish world. It's bizarre.

My grandpa. He's published several textbooks, and writes fiction an poems in his free time.

When he was younger, he worked for the government, which in our country meant you couldn't publish under your own name, so he published under my mom's name instead.

so schlomo...do you confirm jews have a superior education to the goyims?

His post didn't, but yours does.

I won't reveal my relation to him but F. Paul Wilson is a member of my family

My uncle wrote poetry about my great grandparents being missionaries in China. It's not very good.

There's only one (you)

Not allowed to say :^)

I fuckin hope not

Don't get me started on that topic

Amazing thread, guys. Glad to subscribe and to contribute to google product marketing based on profile interest list

I have a great aunt who self-publishes mystery novels that are fucking atrocious.

Topkek user

My great uncle is a distinguished historian

lol. im the only one who reads in my entire family tree.

My mom is a novelist.
Im Finnish so not sure if it's easier to get your books published here in a smaller nation than it is in the US for example. But I certainly take a bit of pride in it

My dad used to write short stories and scripts when he was alive. He also briefly dated a very famous writer from my country.
RIP in peace dad, I wish you could have lasted a little bit longer ;_;

>a very famous writer
Who?

Clarice Lispector

pep-pep has written the following:

a small series of articles for hobby magazines

a children's book about boats (serving a local interest - he dedicated it to me)

a brief local history of boats (same context as above)

a fully-realized book on a more obscure, related hobby

The magazines have hard copies and the books all have ISBN numbers, I believe. He's mentioned more than once a process of waiting for a year+ to get copyright information from the feds, "institution" etc.

He also took a year to get a novel out, but this is the thing that was never published. He composed it, mother read it and corrected it, and he did a submission process but it didn't go anyplace. But he was done, and that was the point for him. To this very day, I have never read it.

My mum is a respected novelist, my grandmother is an extremely respected novelist, and I'm the 4x great grandson of a novelist who is commonly listed as one of the top 5 of all time

who am I?

women aren't respected, they are tolerated.

Kek

a cunning linguist, no doubt.

This is the sex ed one, right? *chuckles*

Is *this* the infamous Veeky Forums-humor everybody's raving about?

my uncle has a phd in mechanical engineering and has been published in a few journals and the like but nobody's got any Veeky Forums creds

If you include science journals my sister and I are, I'm working on something but not exactly a Veeky Forums book lol a guide on synthesis of a new series of chemicals used in pesticides

You're from Chicago right?

I've seen you post here before.

Stars (*) should only be used to reference physical actions that the reader will not be able to see and so on

*tugs tshirt*

Hey could you name some good contemporary Finnish writers please?

Some Finnanon on here mentioned a young guy who is anorexic and also the lead singer of a band who published a couple of books but I forgot his name.

indeed. impressive data collection, my guy

I've gotta talk about myself less

Weren't you also going to write about the "crust-punk" scene or something in Chicago?

Well clearly you like the attention. If you didn't want him or others to know where you're from you would have denied it

uh, I'm not specifically trying to document punks as a subject necessarily, but that was my scene for a number of years so in that sense whatever i write about is kind of set in the kingdom of punk

it's not like we're discussing classified information tho desu, just a fact

go for some sweet ass paasilinna

You better lickety-split, kid.

My uncle writes mystery thrillers about bugs.

My parents are both reporters. I write for a local news station, so I guess I'm technically a professional writer.

Keep onto this, in 5-10 years it's going to match up with the currently in vogue retro aesthetic

An uncle wrote two novels that he claimed were bestsellers. He would talk about it all he time, even at my grandfather's memorial he went in front of the podium to tell all the mourners about his "success story" in writing just because. I never really believed he even wrote anything for a time until (very recently) I found one of the books with his name on the cover. I was astounded, although it wasn't the "New York Times" bestseller he implied it was.

I'm related to WB Yeats. Not by blood, my great-great-grandfathers second marriage was to Yeats' cousin.

100+ years ago some great great uncle who was a doctor published a book about potatoes and about how they're healthy or something.

>My mum is a respected novelist, my grandmother is an extremely respected novelist, and I'm the 4x great grandson of a novelist who is commonly listed as one of the top 5 of all time

>who am I?

Even if you're bullshitting, I'll try and figure this out. My best first guess is your mom is Klaussmann? 4x great grandfather is Melville?

There's no info on Grandma, though. Which means I'm wrong, or Grandma used a pseudonym, or Klaussmann is a pseudonym (she has a lack of biography, so she's trying to make it on her own name?). However, I'd assume there would be something somewhere about Grandma being an extremely respected novelist ancestor of Melville, which makes me think my guess is wrong.

I'm from Chicago. Who are you/who's your dad?

I don't know if she was best selling or not but I also had a high school classmate whose mother was a published author of twilight-esque fantasy

Rich cunts